• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer movies 2009

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inspired by this thread from last year.

Anybody waiting for any movies to come out? Seen anything good lately?

As far as mainstream movies go, I saw Wolverine the other night. Good stuff. I'm still disappointed that Josh Holloway wasn't Gambit, but I can deal with that. I think it was done better than the X Men trilogy was.

A bit ago, but I found the Watchmen to be disappointing. Too many gaps.

I'm planning to see Star Trek. We'll see how that is. Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) looks like an excellent Spock. I'm keeping my expectations low, though, and hoping they'll be exceeded.

I'm planning on taking the kids (my niece and little brother) to see Up. Looks like a fun one. Grumpy old man, house in the sky, chubby polite boy, what's not to love?

I'm also planning to see 9. Ragdolls in a post apocalyptic nightmare where humanity's existence is threatened appeals to me.

How about you guys?

altagirl

Staff member
The new Terminator movie looks really good too. That and Star Trek are probably my top two. And we want to go see Wolverine, but weren't willing to brave the crowds this weekend.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't been to the movies in about two years, and ended up going to see "The Soloist" with my mom yesterday (her choice, not mine. I would've preferred to see "Earth"). I know it got great reviews, but I found it extremely heavy handed -- one of those movies that it really sets out to make a point and beat it to death -- and very depressing.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm dying to see Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and the new Night at The Museum movie. :smile:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw the X-men movie and State of Play this weekend.

Both were pretty good films.

I saw the trailer for Earth recently, but I think I have already seen almost all of that footage already on TV.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last three movies I have seen were all great and I'd highly recommend.
Star Trek - Definitely a new, old twist on the Star Trek we love
The Proposal - Predictable? Sure, but plenty of new quirky things to make you laugh and smile
Public Enemies - Who can't love a movie with Johnny Depp! There were a few scenes that seemed long, but didn't detract from a good movie.

whiff

Certified Ski Diva
Public Enemies was great. Highly recommend it.

For Marge a friend talked me into Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past since her fiance wouldn't go. Horrible horrible painful movie. At the end of the movie my friend turned to me and said sorry. If you want to see it at least wait till DVD.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw Terminator and loved it. We were just about to go in and my boyfriend asked if I wanted to go and see Transformers - and - I put this down to hormones - I turned and ranted "WTF? Why the hell would I want to go and see a stupid effing film about effing robots?" He burst in to laughter and took a while to stop. :redface:

Saw the Proposal a couple of weeks ago and yes, of course it's schmaltzy but I enjoyed it. Alaska and an attractive man? My kind of eye candy!

whiff

Certified Ski Diva
Saw The Proposal and it was cute. Bumblebee you are right on the mark saying it's schmaltzy, but Ryan Reynolds isn't so bad to look at for a couple of hours.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Betty White was hilarious in the Proposal. But then she is one of the best comedic actress' of all time, IMO!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw The Proposal today with a work friend. I thought it was cuty, schmaltzy and predictable, but cute, and I laughed.

I am now just waiting for Harry Potter

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Several of my friends are going to 12:01 a.m. shows of Harry Potter tonight but since my in-laws are arriving at my house for a visit in about six hours I didn't think I should join the HP party. I do believe I might take I very long lunch tomorrow and see it then (Mr. Karen is taking the day off to be with his folks but I have to work).

I saw Star Trek in IMAX not too long after it came out and want to see it again before it disappears from theaters.

I thought Up (in 3D) was beautiful, if a bit sadder than I expected.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot that's tonight! I want to see it but I don't know if I'm up for going in the middle of the night. Though I haven't been sleeping well anyway...

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I've seen all the movies I was hoping to see so far:

Terminator - not what I was expecting, but I still liked it. Marcus totally stole the show. The helicoptor crash scene at the beginning was so cool! I hope Christian Bale becomes more "John Conner-ish" in the next one.

Star Trek - this is the best summer movie BY FAR (so far, at least). I LOVED Chris Pike, Zak Quinto, and Karl Urban. They OWNED Kirk, Spock, and Bones. JJ Abrams is a genius.

Wolverine - loved it! The opening credits alone were super cool (not as cool as Watchmen, but I digress...) So much better than I was expecting. I'm looking forward to more of the origin movies for sure.

Transformers 2 - I liked it, but holy cow it was too long! I can't believe there could be too much robot fighting, but the end battle is pretty ridiculous. I told my husband it reminded me of one of those old Nintendo games that you spend hours defeating the last boss and find out you still have to fight the BIG boss you had totally forgotten about. :D And ridicule me, but I do enjoy the Shia. He's great.

Watchmen - GREAT opening, and such a well-put together beautiful movie, but something was missing. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seemed to slow to a crawl.

I'm still looking foward to seeing The Hangover, Year One, Up, and of course, HARRY POTTER!! The buzz is really really good for Potter, so I'm definitely going to squeeze it in this weekend.

altagirl

Staff member
LOVED Star Trek. That is probably the best movie we've seen this summer - I really wanted to go see it again, but my husband is one of those who can't comprehend watching the same movie twice. :smile: Public Enemies was really good too, but not as fast paced. Though Johnny Depp definitely makes that movie.

We also saw Terminator - which was... meh. I loved the Marcus character (the human terminator guy). But too much of the plot just didn't make much sense or wasn't particularly believeable. I kindof preferred it in the old ones where you had a vague idea of what was going on in the future. It was a little more open ended, so it made it more plausible. I also thought the ending was LAME (like last 5 min) The people I watched it with all said wow did that go downhill at the end - sappy, bleh. Though there were some great action sequences and some good stuff in between. And perhaps oddly, I thought the robot guy had a more interesting personality/character than the humans... Maybe it's just because he's hot. ;)

We also saw the Hangover, which was definitely funny. My husband was disappointed because he was told it was the "funniest movie ever" and it didn't live up to that. Heh - I don't know what could... I went in figuring that it isn't really my favorite genre and I wouldn't like it all that much and thought it was pretty darn good. As usual, that kind of thing all depends on your expectations. At least there was more to it than what you saw in the previews. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
That's funny that Marcus is what we both liked about the Terminator. I didn't see that before I posted.

Not really surprising though! :drool:

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My plan for this summer was going to see Ice Age 3. It all depends on when I get home from Angola. Anyone seen it?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to see Ice Age 3 last night, with my grandma.
She is having memory lapses lately, and she can't remember going to get groceries after the movie, but she remembers vivid details of the movie, and those crazy squirrels!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna