• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Fires in Ski Country

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This has been an awful summer for fires in the West, and an article in Powder sums up the many that are raging across ski country. Are you or anyone you know directly affected? Post here and let us know what's going on in your area.

Christy

Angel Diva
My friend is been working the fire that's near White Pass. They are headquartered (she does the budget/payroll) in the base lodge, and White Pass did nice stuff like opened up the vending machines and is providing other goodies for them for free, since their fire contract won't cover that kind of stuff. But if there's one thing that safe it's the White Pass ski infrastructure. They have that baby fortified with hoses, sprinklers, etc. Though they did explicitly tell the firefighters that it was maintenance season and not to put hoses ON the lifts...and they did anyway (wrapped the hoses around chairs), and broke them. Could have really damaged the lifts.

You can see on the cam that the fire crews are camped at the ski area.

1534562657626.png

Air quality in Seattle has been some of the worst in the world due to smoke from BC. We have a wind shift at the moment but it's coming back down from the north again Sunday. Yuck. It really affects you psychologically when things look like this.

This was Wednesday at 10 am.

1534562394612.png

mustski

Angel Diva
I am in Bend, OR right now and they are getting smoke from California and Canada. It is relatively mild here- worse in Redmond. It’s a crazy summer for sure!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friends house was lost in the CARR fire by Shasta.. really horrible year, thankful for super brave fire fighters. Praying for rain or early snow to help knock down the fires.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last edited:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
AIR Now by EPA is a decent app for your local air quality. Our air hit 380 this AM. This is the worst air in the CONTINENT right now.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've been watching visibility go out my office window this morning. We aren't as bad as Spokane (or Wenatchee or Chelan, yet anyway) but I can't even see across Elliott Bay to West Seattle anymore. The Space Needle cam has archived images so I snagged on from earlier this summer, and today is on top of course.

1534797222630.png

1534797146994.png

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friends house was lost in the CARR fire by Shasta.. really horrible year, thankful for super brave fire fighters. Praying for rain or early snow to help knock down the fires.

Sorry about your friend's house.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last 3 weeks have been very bad by Grand Targhee/Jackson Hole. Most days have been quite smoky, some so bad that I couldn't even see the mountains. It's finally raining today, so I am hopeful this will provide some relief!

Christy

Angel Diva
Is it moving out overnight for you guys, @geargrrl ? That's supposed to happen here but I know you have different weather patterns.

Funny, I've been wanting to escape and have been dreaming of ocean breezes and work just asked me to go to Hawaii Volcanoes NP...where the VOG (volcanic smog) can be absolutely terrible. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who don't regularly visit my blog, I posted a piece last week called Fires Are Burning Up Ski Country. Here's What We Can Do About It. You can find it here.

And Snowbrains just posted an article online showing the top five US states for acres burned. Pretty interesting stuff. Here's the graphic they used:

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 5.44.40 AM.png

A bad year, that's for sure.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good friends (and season pass holders at Sundance), have been evacuated ahead of the Pole Creek Fire. Sending them positive and very wet vibes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly