• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer activity in the plans

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ladies, its official!
I have all my skis put away. 1/2 of my seasonal clothes are switched around, and I have a full day on Sunday planned with two mountain bike rides and a Tee Time scheduled.

Summer is officially in my blood and I'm attacking the stuff I love to do with enthusiasm!!!:D

What summer activity do you have in your near future!?

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
summer

Yes Spring is here!! This is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY EXCITING!! Today Mr. Skigirl and I shoveled up the horse manure pile and hauled it across the road and spread it in the corn field!!!! That was REALLY, REALLY, REALLY EXCITING!!!! LOL!!!! I am sad to say that we were almost finished after 4 hours and the ATV got a flat tire!! Since it was after Noon I have to wait until Monday to get it fixed. This could also go under the off season conditioning thread!! It really is a great work out. I plan to ride tomorrow.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really glad for you, skigirl. I know how much you've been wanting to ride. :smile:

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
fun

I hope to actually have fun today!! As much as getting rid of Mt. Poopy is a good work out it is NOT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY EXCITING!!!! LOL!!

I have to say that it has been a wild weather week. It started on Monday with a blizzard dumping 2 feet of snow, Tuesday was not much better than Monday, Wed the melt down began, Thurs started with the ground still covered with snow in the morning and by evening it was almost all gone, Fri it was spring no snow and green grass in my lawn, Sat it was summer and I was out in a T-shirt!! I am amazed at how fast it has dried up, I did not think we would be able to do anything thing this weekend. I think it is dry enough in the fields across the road to ride today which will make my horses very happy because they have had enough of winter!! Since my ATV is out of commission until Monday I think we will get my Lawn Mower out and get it ready to mow the lawn already!! Like I said it was a wild weather week, it starts with 2 feet of snow and 6 days later I can MOW the LAWN!!! LOL!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My weekend was "semi-successful" in the summer activity department.
I got a new club to add to my golf bag, but when I took the tags off of it, the scissors slipped and I cut my finger pretty bad, so I can't bend it at the second nuckle right now and thus can't grip the clubs to actually GO golfing.

I did get two bike rides in this weekend and hit some balls on Saturday, feeling pretty good about the skills I picked up at the end of the season last fall.

Whooo hoooo, Its gonna be a great summer!

I joined a gym this weekend. Not as exciting as horseback riding or mountain biking or kayaking, but a good decision nonetheless. I haven't belonged to a gym (I rejoined the one I used to belong to) in about 8 years! Now they include the yoga and pilates classes (which were few and far between 8 years ago) as part of the membership fee, so between some cardio machines, free weights, and these classes, I can stay in shape throughout the warm season. I am so busy with my kids in the summer (4) and working full-time that I don't have a warm weather sport. I like to hike and take walks, but last summer I just didn't do enough of that so the gym should be a good supplement. This year I plan to be in tip top shape when the snow flies again!:D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski now.........I love gym membership! I don't belong now but when I did, I USED IT! Something in me won't let me waste money so if I'm paying for a gym membership, I'll make myself get my money's worth!!!

As for yoga, and pilates...........those are great classes, you'll love them!
Check into water aerobics and Spin Classes too!

No water aerobics (no pool) but will consider spinning. Some of the cardio machines look pretty good for ski conditioning and they all have individual tvs with headphones (pretty high tech). Only $45/month for unlimited use including classes, so I'm pretty psyched. It's a good social scene too which is good for me as I work alone and live in a rural area where I only see my immediate family in the evenings... I want to do some bike riding this summer too!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Spin will be amazing for your legs and cardio. One of the best conditioning classes I've ever done.

Its also a good way to get ready for hill climbing when you hit the bike trails.

OK Snowhot, I'll take your word for it and will give it a try. I've never done much bike riding but skiing has inspired me to try all kinds of new things! This summer we're taking the kids to Smuggler's Notch for a week in late July/early August and I am definately going to try kayaking!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kayaking is lots of fun. If you have put off giving it a try because you were afraid of doing an Eskimo roll, have no fear. You can do lots of flat water kayaking and some light rapids without learning the roll. The roll is simply an easy way to get back upright and in the boat IF you tip over. There are many other methods to get back into your boat. BUT, with the latest development in boats ( much like skis),you can have a great day on the water without fallling into the drink. I do suggest that you have somebody teach you the basics of paddleing and turning. Wear your life jacket and have a great time!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Spring was upon us yesterday, so I cleared out a nice chunk of time and went for a long hike in the morning. Got back to regularly scheduled programming for a while, and finished it up with a 15 mile skate and a swim in the lake. Water's still freezing, but my inner polar bear was loving it.

A lot of my summer activities are year round, but they don't get nearly as much attention in the winter when they're competing for my time with skiing. My main outdoor sports are horseback riding, soccer, trail running, quadline skating, etc.

I think gym memberships are great at the right gym. There's a gym in my neighborhood that I'm a big fan of, but it costs a lot so I don't keep a membership there, I'll occaisionally get membership specials that they run (3 months at a time). A lot of other gyms I've come across have a bit of a sweaty-singles-bar thing going on, and I like my workout to not be punctuated by pickup lines :eek:

My cheapness led me to find that the playground can be a great (albeit partial) substitute for the gym. I do my pullups on the monkey bars, I hang by my knees on the monkey bars and do crunches upside down, there are surfaces at all kinds of random heights for balance exercises, etc. I do my free weights at home, cardio outdoors, and it all comes together pretty nicely :cool:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Spin will be amazing for your legs and cardio. One of the best conditioning classes I've ever done.

Its also a good way to get ready for hill climbing when you hit the bike trails.

I'd been thinking about taking a spin class for training purposes, then I got to wondering if after a while, I'd be able to get on a bike and somehow intuitively know how to ride. Think it'll work? :p

Last year for my birthday present my brother tried to get me adult sized training wheels. He went to a popular bike shop in the area and asked if they carried them. The guy who worked there laughed for a few minutes, and then said "wait, you're serious, aren't you?" So no training wheels for me. Afterwards my brother mentioned it to a mutual friend, and he looked online and found some.

Maybe this'll be the year I learn.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely prefer outside riding to indoor spinning, but Spin is a great conditioning class to keep it going when the weather is questionable.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

A lot of other gyms I've come across have a bit of a sweaty-singles-bar thing going on, and I like my workout to not be punctuated by pickup lines :eek: :cool:

I am so glad someone else feels this way. My current gym is the most strange pickup scene ever! I had a man following me around one day, and even stranger, the woman whom was evidentally after him, trying to out do me at everything giving me dirty looks. I have been avoiding the gym during that time of day now. I also have been slowly building a home gym. I actually like it alot and you really dont need much. I have an adjustable bench and some weights. Every couple weeks, I get a set of heavier weights and they really don't cost that much. I also have some videos etc so I am cancelling as soon as I can. I also prefer doing my cardio outside unfortunately we may not be able to excersise outside here for too much longer if we have a bad fire season. Then the gym is worth it and I will try to find a three month special then if I need to.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sailing: Race season has officially begun - every Wed night until Sept.

Backpacking: The trick is to schedule around the Boy Scout activities. It may just be me and my youngest. I'm still looking for nice kid friendly trails, here in Southern CA.

I'm looking into getting back on a bike this summer after a 15yr hiatus.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:cool: Vacation! We are going to Ashland, Oregon for a week in June to the Shakespeare festival. It sounds like it will be great. But it is guaranteed to be great to get away and just have fun instead of working all of the time!!!

Saturday is Skate for Health day and I am trying out a free inline skate lesson. Got a set of skates today!!

Other than that, hope to get back to some of the normal working out, spin class and some cycling. We went to Banff last summer and had some great hikes, so maybe some of those around here!

I started taking spin class about three or four years ago when I was in a cycling club course that ended with a 60 mile graduation ride..so I needed to whatever I could to get into better shape at that point..it was really helpful....highly recommend it especially if you find a teacher who plays the kind of music you like!!

abc

Banned
I guess I missed this thread in April because I was too busy biking and kayaking! ;)

That's pretty much my summer, more biking and more kayaking! I basically ride everyday that's not raining, to and back from work during the week and putting the hammer down on weekends. When it does rain on the weekend, I kayak, since I'm going to get somewhat wet anyway! :smile:

Maybe in a month, when I feel my MCL is back to normal, I'll hit the trails on my Santa Cruz again. There're some really, really wicked trails not far from my house. Can't wait to hit them all!

Mixed in there, a little big of hiking and maybe backpacking. Though I doubt about the later part...not enough time! This is MY season. Winter is off-season comparatively speaking. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly