• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer 2020 activities at ski resorts

marzNC

Angel Diva
As Stay At Home restrictions are lifted, going to be interesting to see how destination ski resorts and ski areas handle summer activities and resort lodging.

As a complete aside for those of us in N. America . . . looks like New Zealand and Australia will have some skiing by July.

Sunday River is taking resort lodging reservations starting July 1.

Sunday River website as of May 9
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 12.45.45 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Saw this for Sunday River, though with the 14 day quarantine restriction for out of state arrivals supposedly going through August, I guess only Mainers should technically be booking.. With this restriction along with gathering sizes, it probably puts the nail in the coffin for most weddings there this summer as well.

Jilly

Staff member
Everything around here is cancelled. Even the famous Sandbanks Provincial Park is not opening till August if at all. I can't see the local ski hill running it's summer kids camps either. As for the larger ones, Calabogie is offering it's hotel for returning vacationers that need to quarantine for 14 days. Tremblant is closed till August by provincial orders. As is any other place in Quebec. The big one with summer activities in Ontario is Blue Mountain. But being owned by Alterra, I suspect it will be down for the count too.

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
Not sure about your information on Sandbanks. Today the Ontario government announced opening of day use in provincial parks starting on Monday May 11th. We might not get full opening for awhile, but camping in self contained units will probably be available soon. I am certainly in the cautious group and don't plan on being anywhere crowded, but I will be happy when the trails in the park a mile down the road open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what Killington has on their website about lodging reservations as of May 9.

"We continue to share the belief that spending time in the mountains, enjoying nature and the outdoors is important to leading a fulfilling life, and this is why we will continue to monitor the situation and look forward to being able to resume operations when the COVID-19 threat subsides. Our reopening date still has not been set but are taking lodging reservations for arrivals starting June 15. Daily tickets for summer operations are also currently available. Any bookings made are fully refundable if we are not able to reopen in time."

Jilly

Staff member
Not sure about your information on Sandbanks. Today the Ontario government announced opening of day use in provincial parks starting on Monday May 11th. We might not get full opening for awhile, but camping in self contained units will probably be available soon. I am certainly in the cautious group and don't plan on being anywhere crowded, but I will be happy when the trails in the park a mile down the road open.

Yes it's only day use only. The mayor of "the County of Prince Edward County" is going to have a fit!! He doesn't anyone in the county!!

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
Our mayor doesn't really want anyone here either. As a permanent resident on a street that is probably 80% seasonal, it is easy to see why that choice was made early on. They arrived here in swarms at the end of March break. They gave themselves a black eye as far as I'm concerned. Multiple cars in the driveways, parties, backyard campfires. Since little was known back in March when this all started, it seemed very disrespectful to the people who actually live here. Watching what was happening in Italy, Spain and the US it seemed prudent to be careful. They were either lucky or more careful than it seemed, since we have had only 4 cases here. I would like it to remain that way. If they come and stay at their properties, and bring everything they need so they don't go into town I have no problem. We enjoy having the seasonal people here, but we need to proceed slowly so we have a summer season.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are tentatively opening most summer activities in Jackson by the end of June.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I went looking to see what a Vail Resorts location mentioned about summer activities, found a link to a general VR webpage related to COVID-19. In addition to brief info about the 2019-20 and 2020-21 ski seasons, there is a note about Summer 2020 lodging reservations (as of May 11). Can make a reservation starting June 1 with no deposit and 48-hour free cancellation. That's almost like a motel reservation, which typically have no deposit and 24-hour free cancellation.

Assuming relevant state rules for travel and Stay At Home change enough by June 1 to allow resort lodging to re-open, the number of reservations could be taken into account for VR to decide exactly what date to pickerel to re-open a specific location.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 9.26.28 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe in WV (owned by Alterra) has disabled their online booking system for lodging reservations. Usually would open for summer activities for Memorial Day weekend. Ironically, it's snowing this morning. Like many ski resorts with resort lodging in the mid-Atlantic within a half-day drive of Washington DC, Richmond, Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia, summer is the busiest season. Families are much more likely to spend for a full week vacation than during the ski season.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 9.40.28 AM.png

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Killington is taking lodging reservations beginning June 15, but they are fully refundable.
The state is still requesting that anyone coming to VT quarantine for 14 days. I would like to see K open for DH biking as much as anyone, but I don't think I would go even if they did. ANd the last thing I would ever do this summer is rent a hotel room. Nothing has really changed as far as our ability to contain the virus with anything but caution and distancing.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Vail Resorts finally posted something on the Perisher website about the 2020 season. In Australia, all the ski resorts and ski towns are actively encouraging people to download the government Bluetooth app that's designed to help with contact tracing.

Thredbo (on Ikon/MCP) also is working towards opening at some point.

May 11, 2020
https://www.perisher.com.au/covid19-update
"Perisher continues to make preparations for the 2020 winter season. We are closely monitoring the progress of COVID-19 in Australia. As the season approaches, we will advise of any planned changes to resort operations for the 2020 winter season."

marzNC

Angel Diva
For at least one U.S. ski resort, summer activities will include skiing. Timberline in Oregon is typically open year round because it includes a glacier high up on Mt. Hood. It's re-opening on May 15. That includes some rooms in the historic Timberline Lodge.

marzNC

Angel Diva
With Timberline and Bachelor open this weekend, can either call it late season or early summer season skiing. The other summer ski location, Beartooth Basin in WY, plans to open on May 30. It's about two hours southwest of Billings, MT, past Red Lodge.

Red Lodge is about 30 min drive from Beartooth. There are motels and restaurants in town. In early April, Red Lodge Resort had to close off their road because people were not social distancing while at the resort after the MT Stay At Home order that was issued in late March. People were going to hike for turns or just for hiking in general. Most were non-residents so people in the small town weren't exactly happy either after the first COVID-19 case was detected.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 2.07.47 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly a ski resort, unless you count XC skiing, but when looking at Red Lodge info I noticed that Yellowstone Nat. Park is re-opening in May.

Yellowstone will begin first phase of reopening
Thursday, May 14, 2020
What will be open beginning May 18?
Phase 1 will begin on Monday, May 18 at 12:00 p.m. with the opening of the South and East entrances in the state of Wyoming.
  • Visitors will be able to access the lower loop of the Grand Loop Road (see attached map) coming in and out of the South and East entrances only.
  • Visitors will be able to access restrooms, self-service gas stations, trails and boardwalks, and other Phase 1 facilities that are prepared to open.
What will remain closed until later phases of the plan?
  • The Montana entrances (North, West, and Northeast) will remain closed tentatively until June 1st.
  • Commercial tour buses will not be allowed in the early phases of opening.
  • Overnight accommodations will be unavailable until later in the season.
  • Campgrounds, backcountry permits, visitor cabins, additional stores, expanded tours, takeout food service, boating, fishing, and visitor centers will remain closed. These Phase 2 services and/or facilities will open when safe and appropriate mitigation measures are in place. This will happen at different times.
  • Hotels, full-service dining, commercial tour buses, and ranger programs will remain closed. These Phase 3 services and/or facilities will reopen when health conditions allow.
Visitors should come prepared and follow all CDC and local health guidance by practicing good hygiene and social distancing. Face coverings are recommended where social distancing is not possible. People who are sick should stay home and not visit the park. The CDC has provided specific guidance on visiting parks and recreational facilities.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Seems pretty clear there will be skiing in Australia and New Zealand during the northern hemisphere summer. July and August are the best snow months.

Here's the latest about New South Wales in Australia, one of the mountain states that includes Perisher, Thredbo, and Charlotte Pass. It's an interview with NSW Deputy Premier, John Barilaro, during a visit to Jindabyne recently. Jindabyne is the town just outside the mountains where many people stay for ski vacations. It's about a 30 min drive to Perisher or Thredbo.

Perisher is owned by Vail Resorts. Thredbo is on Ikon, although that's not really relevant for 2020. Charlotte Pass is a small resort with no parking at the base so all guests must be take group transport.

May 17, Snowy Magazine
Promising News for NSW Snow Season
https://snowymagazine.com.au/2020/05/17/promising-news-for-nsw-snow-season/

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saw this for Sunday River, though with the 14 day quarantine restriction for out of state arrivals supposedly going through August, I guess only Mainers should technically be booking.. With this restriction along with gathering sizes, it probably puts the nail in the coffin for most weddings there this summer as well.
This is our issue. I just canceled our annual August Big Sky trip out of fear we could be forced to quarantine too many days since we’re coming from out of state. We always enjoyed going out for summer, but sadly, it’s just too risky.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sugar Mountain in NC is getting ready to open for lift-served mountain biking. Initially just for Memorial Day weekend. After that, won't be open for the summer season until early July. There are a few other small mountains in the east and midwest that have already announced they plan to be open for biking by late May.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.13.15 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly