• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer 2020 activities at ski resorts

marzNC

Angel Diva
Killington is not going to re-open for skiing. They are going to focus on getting ready for the summer season activities like mountain biking instead.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Killington is not going to re-open for skiing. They are going to focus on getting ready for the summer season activities like mountain biking instead.

It seems problematic to allow places like K to open, especially with them offering short-term lodging. VT is still asking people to quarantine for 14 days upon entering the state. The state may relax that next month, of course, but it doesn't mean anything has changed regarding the virus. Resorts opening is going to encourage exactly the kind of weekend travel that is risky in the aggregate.

We've been fortunate to have very low rates of infection, but that could change quickly if people come flocking from metro areas to bike at K. Already, mountain bike and hiking trailheads are insanely crowded with lots of out-of-state plates, and trail traffic is much heavier than usual.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We are tentatively opening most summer activities in Jackson by the end of June.
Looks like some activities will be open at JH starting May 30. The Bridger gondola will run this summer. But the Tram won't open. Instead some major maintenance that was planned for 2021 will be done instead. Resort lodging will be open, with plenty of extra cleaning and procedures due to COVID-19.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The expectation is that Vail Resorts locations will be open by July for summer operations.

May 21, Pique News in Whistler, Canada
Vail Resorts CEO discusses reopening plan in email to employees
Company aims to start up lifts in late June or early July
https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/w...an-in-email-to-employees/Content?oid=15410802
" . . .
Katz added that given the complex nature of Vail Resorts' operations with businesses in not only lift operations, restaurants and retail, but also wedding venues, fly fishing and transportation, not all of their subsidiaries will open at the same time. He added that there will be multitudes of opinions regarding the company's reopening plans, and the company as a whole will need to develop and implement new procedures and policies in order to ensure employees and visitors can trust that the company is operating in a safe manner.
"Some will think we are moving too slowly; others will think we are moving too fast. Some will say it must be about money, others will say we are being too cautious or too cavalier," he wrote. "We can't eliminate that chatter and it's always important to listen to the feedback, but we also need our own view.
"Trust is earned when you showcase that the health and wellbeing of your guests and employees are your top priority and you are willing to be patient to earn it.""

marzNC

Angel Diva
Aspen expects to open in some way for summer activities by mid-June. ASC is also raising money for the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund for supporting locals.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 5.52.19 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Copper will be holding Woodward summer camps but not until July. At least that was the plan as of early May.

May 6, Summit Daily
Woodward Copper details COVID-19-related changes to summer camps
Coronavirus precautions include mandatory temperature checks
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/woodward-copper-details-covid-19-related-changes-to-summer-camps/
" . . .
On Friday, Copper Mountain Resort spokeswoman Taylor Prather announced Woodward Copper would cancel its June camps and begin summer sessions July 5, the day after Copper Mountain Resort intends to start spinning its lifts for summer operations. In turn, Woodward Copper will run six week of camps, including those featuring visiting action-sport pros, from July 5 through Aug. 15.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's official . . . there will be open ski resorts in Australia starting June 22. That's starting a couple weeks later than usual. Australia has had very low numbers of new cases for a few weeks, meaning less than 15 for the entire country of 25 million.

Skiing will start in New Zealand at Mt Hutt in mid-June. By early July all the resorts on Ikon expect to be open.

International travel from N. America or Asia is not likely to open to Australia or New Zealand in the next few months. So resorts are hoping residents will be willing to travel domestically to get in some turns.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Greek Peak in central NY has been very busy getting ready for the summer season. The most recent update posted on their website on May 15 is quite detailed. One activity started on May 15 and is a complete throw back to the 1950s and 1960s . . . Greek is running a drive-in movie theater on weekend evenings for about 40 vehicles.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 2.45.03 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant has announced that they are going to open some activities. Golf has already started but only 1 of their courses. Tennis is open too.

Now they are going to open the mini-putt, rent bikes and allow hiking. All things you can socially distance in. The Gondola and luge will not be open.

Lodging can be had, but there are no restaurants open, only take out.

It's a start.

Jilly

Staff member
Blue Mountain, Ontario has their hiking trails open. If you do not have a Blue Mtn pass or Ikon you will need to purchase an adventure pass, to access the trails. Again no lift service.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Blue Mountain, Ontario has their hiking trails open. If you do not have a Blue Mtn pass or Ikon you will need to purchase an adventure pass, to access the trails. Again no lift service.

You have to buy a pass to walk up the mountain?!?

marzNC

Angel Diva
You have to buy a pass to walk up the mountain?!?
If Blue in Ontario is on private land, why not? I know of many resorts (not ski resorts) that have entrance gates with a security office so that people who don't stay on property don't have free access.

Although from the article I can certainly understand why people are upset since it's a huge change from past practice.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If Blue in Ontario is on private land, why not? I know of many resorts (not ski resorts) that have entrance gates with a security office so that people who don't stay on property don't have free access.

Although from the article I can certainly understand why people are upset since it's a huge change from past practice.

I don’t know, just seems weird to me. I’ve never paid to hike anywhere, so I didn’t know it was a thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don’t know, just seems weird to me. I’ve never paid to hike anywhere, so I didn’t know it was a thing.
Can think of it as the summer equivalent of an uphill pass that some ski resorts require.

Many national parks and state parks have entry fees, although often it's set up as a parking fee so not directly a "pass" for hiking. At Wachusett State Park and Walden Pond in Concord, out-of-state visitors pay twice what people with MA plates pay. Same for the parking lot at the summit of Mt. Greylock during the busy season between Memorial Day and early October.

When I wanted to see the base of Wolf in the NC mountains last fall, I wasn't allowed inside the private development where Wolf is located. Not for any amount of money. The security guard said that in the winter, people who say they are going skiing are given a free parking pass. That was a first for me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Can think of it as the summer equivalent of an uphill pass that some ski resorts require.

Many national parks and state parks have entry fees, although often it's set up as a parking fee so not directly a "pass" for hiking. At Wachusett State Park and Walden Pond in Concord, out-of-state visitors pay twice what people with MA plates pay. Same for the parking lot at the summit of Mt. Greylock during the busy season between Memorial Day and early October.

When I wanted to see the base of Wolf in the NC mountains last fall, I wasn't allowed inside the private development where Wolf is located. Not for any amount of money. The security guard said that in the winter, people who say they are going skiing are given a free parking pass. That was a first for me.

It has been my understanding that paying for an uphill pass in the winter is because you are using maintained snow trails, and ski patrol if you get injured, etc. I still think it’s a money grab, but I can somewhat understand that rationale. It doesn’t seem as aplicable in the summer for hiking, but luckily there are plenty of non ski mountains around here to hike without paying for this access.. For Wachusett, I don’t think you pay if you were parking at the ski area in the summer right? Are you talking about the other side with the road you can drive up? I usually only head to Wachusett in the summer for the events they have, haven’t actually hiked there from the base area so I’m not sure what the rules are.

Jilly

Staff member
Well if you read the article you'll see that it is not going over well. Also Blue's trails intersect with the Bruce Trail. One end of the Bruce is in Niagara..across the river from Buffalo. The other end is in Tobermorey. And that trail is free to hike. So I've hiked up from Vineland and now you're going to charge me $ to cross over this private land. And the trail crosses over a lot of private land. Alterra is not making any friends with this move.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It has been my understanding that paying for an uphill pass in the winter is because you are using maintained snow trails, and ski patrol if you get injured, etc. I still think it’s a money grab, but I can somewhat understand that rationale. It doesn’t seem as aplicable in the summer for hiking, but luckily there are plenty of non ski mountains around here to hike without paying for this access.. For Wachusett, I don’t think you pay if you were parking at the ski area in the summer right? Are you talking about the other side with the road you can drive up? I usually only head to Wachusett in the summer for the events they have, haven’t actually hiked there from the base area so I’m not sure what the rules are.
Hiking trails need to be maintained as well. True for private or public land. My ski buddy Bill does a lot of trail work as a Forest Service volunteer in NM.

I was talking about the State Park parking lots on Wachusett Mountain, not the ski area lots. There are a number of trails that are on the other side from where the ski trails were cut.

marzNC

Angel Diva
All the major ski resorts in Australia will be open by the last weekend of June. That's a few weeks later than usual. Of course Selwyn won't open because everything burned down during the big fires.

Looks like there will not be any season passes in the typical sense. However, Thredbo announced today that people who bought a season pass for 2020 will get discounted rates for day tickets. The discount rate sounds like it will increase once someone had bought 9 day tickets. After a "passholder" skis a lot, day tickets will be 75% off.

VR said last week they would make an announcement for passholders on June 15.

From email sent to Thredbo season passholders on May 28:
As a valued Season Pass holder you are eligible for a discount on the 1 Day Lift Pass rate of up to 75% off*.
All guests will need to pre-purchase day lift passes online prior to arrival.
We have allocated a portion of the daily inventory for Season Pass guests to access 1 Day Lift Passes at the discounted rate.
*The more days you ski, the more you save – additional discounts will be applied after you purchase 10, 15 and 20 days within our 2020 winter season. Discount varies based on day of week/seasonality.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly ski resorts, but since many resorts have high ropes and/or zip lines seems worth noting that Go Ape is opening more locations in the next few weeks. I'll be watching to see when the Go Ape inside Washington DC opens up.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 4.36.07 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly