• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Suggestions for narrow, intermediate flex boot.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
I’m looking for a boot for my 12 year old. This will be her first season in women’s boots. She’s a 23.5 for length and has narrow feet, they are just under 90mm. Any recommendations that won’t break the bank?

Everything I’ve found under 98mm seems to be at least CAD$600 and that is way out of budget for us, especially since she may outgrow the boot after this season and we ski less than 10 days a season.

I wouldn’t mind if I could find something that has adjustable flex. There were some Rossignol Pure’s that were an 80 flex but said it was adjustable. I figured that way I could make it more flexible for her this season (so less than 80) and on the off chance the boot still fits her next season, we could up the flex when she’s heavier and has more skill. Unfortunately they are a 102mm last so I expect are too wide for her.

Note that I’m at least 6 hours away from any place with an actual boot fitter. Boot choices in my city are extremely limited so it will need to be a boot I can buy online. Not optimal, but I don’t love near mountains so downhill ski stores are not a hot commodity. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tecnica Mach 1 LV 85. My feet are 83mm wide, although I do also have custom foamed liners in these boots. But, the Mach 1s are a legitimate low volume boot, including the instep. If she has a bit of a higher instep, a low volume Lange might work better.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Lange RX 80 LV (97mm 80 flex). Last year's style is on sale for under $200 on many sites (REI, EVO, etc.)

Nordica GPX W 85 (98mm 85 flex) if she has a high instep. It is on sale on Backcountry for $160; their return policy is the bomb. My daughter has a high instep and a narrow foot/heel and this is the only boot we found that worked. I have a Lange boot (we wear the same size) and the instep was too short for her.

Some junior race boots may work but then you are dealing with the forward stance and cold feet.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Lange RX 80 LV (97mm 80 flex). Last year's style is on sale for under $200 on many sites (REI, EVO, etc.)

Nordica GPX W 85 (98mm 85 flex) if she has a high instep. It is on sale on Backcountry for $160; their return policy is the bomb. My daughter has a high instep and a narrow foot/heel and this is the only boot we found that worked. I have a Lange boot (we wear the same size) and the instep was too short for her.

Some junior race boots may work but then you are dealing with the forward stance and cold feet.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can track those down in Canada. Her feet aren’t low volume from the reading and measuring I’ve done, she is likely mid volume.

The pricing you mentioned will about double for me with shipping and duty costs so it’s almost always better to order from Canada. And the U.S. store return policies typically don’t apply to international orders, no free returns for us.

Why an adult boot? Kids boots go to 26MP. Or is it the flex?

Because her new skis are women’s skis with adult system bindings. Everything I’ve been reading says adults bindings need adult boots. And a junior boot would require a junior binding.

If that is incorrect, I’m happy to find her a junior boot that will work. The only junior boots available in my city in her size are 50 flex so as long as I can find it online in Canada, I’m good.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a higher instep, wide forefoot and narrow heel. I'm also in the Technica Mach I LV 85. This is so surprising as every LV boots I've ever tried on kills my instep. Besides good fit I love the performance I get with this boot. Many 85 flex boots are designed with intermediates in mind and lack performance. This boot works well for smaller, lightweight skiers wanting a performance category boot without the stiff flex. It also comes in a MV boot.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because her new skis are women’s skis with adult system bindings. Everything I’ve been reading says adults bindings need adult boots. And a junior boot would require a junior binding.

If that is incorrect, I’m happy to find her a junior boot that will work. The only junior boots available in my city in her size are 50 flex so as long as I can find it online in Canada, I’m good.

This isn't necessarily true. Depends on the boot. I had junior race boots with adult skis and bindings for years. They had adult toe lugs. Just depends on the specific boot.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Would the technica 75 flex be okay for her? I was thinking 85 is too much for her this year yet. She’s 95 pounds, skied blues and easy blacks last season and I assume her skill will increase this year.

I found the 75’s here in MV https://www.oberson.com/en/tecnica-boots-mach1-75-mv-blue-women.html

This isn't necessarily true. Depends on the boot. I had junior race boots with adult skis and bindings for years. They had adult toe lugs. Just depends on the specific boot.

Thanks. Will the boot specs tell me if they will fit an adult binding?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would the technica 75 flex be okay for her? I was thinking 85 is too much for her this year yet. She’s 95 pounds, skied blues and easy blacks last season and I assume her skill will increase this year.

I found the 75’s here in MV https://www.oberson.com/en/tecnica-boots-mach1-75-mv-blue-women.html

I'm 100 lbs and the 85 flex works well for me but I've also skied 75 flex boots. The Mach I's could be more performance oriented than she's used to so the 75 flex might work better.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You've made a lot of points and you've got some good information.
I would suggest taking her to a good bootfitter and have it done right. At her age, her body is changing which means that she will be well served to get footbeds.
That being said, the Salomon XMax 70 isn't a bad bad boot but its a generous 98mm boot.
The question about women skis and boot lugs is sort of correct. Some Jr boots can accommodate an adult binding.
Take a look at something in the Jr category like Nordica GPX 70 or Head Raptor 70...

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
I thought I mentioned why we couldn’t get to a bootfitter. But maybe I didn’t. We are a 6 hour highway drive from a bootfitter. If the highways are bad due to weather, it can take longer. There is no way we can drive a 12+ hours round trip to get her boots. We don’t have a 2 day gap in our week to do that, and even if we did, we don’t have the budget to do so. Gas and hotel alone is $600 plus money to eat out.

Most people in our province just rent when they ski so she’s already ahead of most kids in that she gets her own skis and boots that are better suited to her and better condition than rentals.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Potentially? If you can find it. Just briefly looking at sites, I don't see where it's always readily available. You could always reach out to the manufacturer or a shop and ask if you can't find the info online. My guess would be they tend to use adult toe lugs on larger sized boots and junior toe lugs on boots for smaller/younger children. My junior race boots were 23s. Also, some bindings are compatible with both types. But it's certainly not a clear cut answer, sadly.

Looking at skis/bindings, what type of boot soles they take seem more readily available online: ISO 5355A (adult alpine) and ISO 5355C (child alpine)

As far as her weight, I was about her weight a couple years ago and own Dalbello Chakra 85s. They could probably stand to be a bit softer but I get by. I think besides weight, another consideration is how tall she is/how long are legs are to create leverage on the boots. I'm 5'1" and have big feet for my size so a lot of my shin is trapped in the boot, which makes it more difficult for me to flex boots.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm really glad @SnowHot chimed in. I was going to suggest that she and her husband might be able to give insight on various options and compatibility of specific boots with adult bindings.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
I’ll be searching the internet more tonight for sure to see what I can find with the info I’ve learned from everyone.

It certainly would make things easier if we lived closer to the mountains where bootfitters reside. :smile: I just checked the bootfitter thread for Canada and the closet ones to me listed are actually in a further city than I thought; 7 hours away.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Pure Elite is narrower and comes in a 70 flex.

Does the flex adjustment work as advertised? I was hoping I could give some more flex to the 80s this season, and if they still fit next season, then stiffen it back up to 80. Or am I dreaming?

The Elite 70s are $342 on sale and the Pro 80s are on sale for $205...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I mentioned why we couldn’t get to a bootfitter. But maybe I didn’t. We are a 6 hour highway drive from a bootfitter. If the highways are bad due to weather, it can take longer. There is no way we can drive a 12+ hours round trip to get her boots. We don’t have a 2 day gap in our week to do that, and even if we did, we don’t have the budget to do so. Gas and hotel alone is $600 plus money to eat out.

Most people in our province just rent when they ski so she’s already ahead of most kids in that she gets her own skis and boots that are better suited to her and better condition than rentals.
Ahhhh, gotcha.
That's too bad because it can be beneficial to try boots on. In your case, I guess you need to buy a handful of boots that are close to what you're looking for, from on line resources who have a liberal return policy just in case they don't work.

If she has a high instep, you'll want to look for something from Nordica, Tecnica, Lange, Dalbello.
If she has a low instep, look for Head, Salomon, Atomic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna