• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sugarbush?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For anyone who is really familiar with Sugarbush, is one side usually less crowded than the other (Lincoln Peak vs Mount Ellen)?
I'm considering going on Sunday (likely a poor decision, as I'm sure everyone in New England will be flocking North this weekend due to the new snow).
I've only been there once before and never returned since it was so crowded the day I went . . . so hmm the more I think about it, probably a bad idea to head there this weekend after my last experience there. . .
But anyway, last time I was there I parked at Mt Ellen and the base was overflowing with people. For future reference, in general which side is less crowded? Also, is a parking shuttle required (I don't remember having to take one last time)?

marzNC

Angel Diva
But anyway, last time I was there I parked at Mt Ellen and the base was overflowing with people. For future reference, in general which side is less crowded? Also, is a parking shuttle required (I don't remember having to take one last time)?
I've only spent one day at Sugarbush and it was a Monday in 2015 before it was sold to Alterra. There is a lift that goes between the Lincoln side and Mt. Ellen but it's not for people who are scared of heights. It goes up, then down into the Slide Brook area, then up, finishing with a very short down section before unloading. There is a shuttle bus between the two bases.

The Mt. Ellen base lodge is relatively small. On weekends, the families with kids in on Sugarbush teams are over there. There is more space to spread people out at the main base.

Returning from the Mt Ellen side
Sugarbush up-down lift 2015 - 1.jpeg

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember taking that transfer lift--it's a long one.
Good point about the lodge/base area at Mt Ellen being smaller; that is what I recall about the Mt Ellen side--hordes of kids and racers . . . .and a sea of skis outside the lodge.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied there but don't know it well enough to know the crowding situation. I know that there is a cheaper season pass that limits people to Mt Ellen on weekends-- which makes me assume that Lincoln peak is the more popular side, but the Mt Ellen pass might send enough people over there that it evens out?

Paging @ilovepugs who knows Sugarbush much better than I do. I remember her saying the first big powder day this year was just super crowded, long wait time to get into the lot, so the earlier the better!

I'd join up with you but I'm taking a lesson at Smuggs on Sunday.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@jthree thanks for the reply---I decided not to go this Sunday anyway but am curious for future reference which side tends to be busier . . . .I think I might try to hit it on a weekday before doing another weekend day since I'm not at all familiar with it!

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
I love the low-key vibe at Mt Ellen and though smaller, there's lots of fun to be had when the snow is good! The transfer lift (Slide Brook Express) does not run very often - I can't reliably quote the stats but something like 20 days over the past 5 seasons. I heard that most of that is due to staffing and simply not able to check the line regularly. It crosses over bear hibernation areas which presents problems. It is also one of the longest lifts in the world! https://liftblog.com/slide-brook-express-sugarbush-vt/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly