• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sugarbush in Vermont opinions

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All. I'm curious about Sugarbush in Vermont. I see very little discussion about this mountain. On paper it seems pretty great, am I missing something? Is it worth a visit while in the area? I'll be in Burlington next week... looks like it's going to be cold with a good chance of snow on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Let me know what you know!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I ski Sugarbush from time to time, and it's one of my favorite mountains. Lots of nice, winding trails, good terrain, and a beautiful location. You'll love it.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of fun!! Like Ski Diva said.. it's Old style mt with narrow-ish trails w/modern amenities. Mid week is fantastic.. if you need a place to stay the White Horse Inn is wonderful and the Hide Away for dinner was great too!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fit to be Thai'd was really good food too and a stop at the Warren General Store is a must. Get a sandwich and or baked goods and browse the shop upstairs too!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Mid week is fantastic.. if you need a place to stay the White Horse Inn is wonderful
DH and DS stayed there 2 years ago for a PSIA event. (And it SNOWED!) Rooms are generally small but pleasant, with nice decor. Great breakfast included. Very conveniently located. And they both loved Sugarbush.

Tvan

Angel Diva
A few of us are headed there in March after Diva East at Tremblant... Sugarbush is also in the Ikon pass, so a few of us are planning to spend a couple days at Sugarbush on the way home.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hi All. I'm curious about Sugarbush in Vermont. I see very little discussion about this mountain. On paper it seems pretty great, am I missing something? Is it worth a visit while in the area? I'll be in Burlington next week... looks like it's going to be cold with a good chance of snow on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Let me know what you know!
I am originally from the Burlington area (grew up in Shelburne and Richmond). I learned to ski at Glen Ellen (is that still Sugarbush North now?). I haven't been there for soooo long but am super excited about my couple of days there in March following Diva East. Hoping to get up there before that as well to take full advantage of my IKON days - my family all lives in seriously northern VT now so unfortunately it is a day trip or a hotel if I head there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I spent a day at Sugarbush in March 2015. Got lucky because it was a couple days after a Monday powder storm and it has stayed cold. So I was skiing northeast powder 5+ inches deep on an empty weekday. The Mt. Ellen side had some mellow trees if you like that. They were pretty open so I skied a little close to the groomer next to those trees. I also spent a day at Mad River Glen that trip. If conditions are good, I would highly recommend checking out both places.

A few pics . . .

Sugarbush 03Mar2015 -3.jpgSugarbush 03Mar2015 -5.jpgView of Sugarbush.jpg

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 'Bush is great, but it's kind of a PITA to get to compared to a lot of the other ski areas in VT. Probably why you don't see too much about it.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Serafina, what makes the ‘bush more difficult to get to? I want to make sure we’re prepared when we visit this week :smile: We’re staying in Burlington.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC, I think we’re going to hit MRG and Sugarbush this week... hope our snow looks like yours!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Serafina, what makes the ‘bush more difficult to get to? I want to make sure we’re prepared when we visit this week :smile: We’re staying in Burlington.
Probably a matter of distance from NYC, CT, or Boston in comparison to Mt. Snow or Stratton, Killington/Pico, etc. in southern VT.

For my little ski safari in 2015, I stayed overnight at a motel on the road to Killington. Skied Pico, then drove up to the Mad River Valley and stayed at the Mad River Barn. Skied Sugarbush and then met up with a friend at MRG the next day. I was more or less on my way to Lake Placid in early March (picking up daughter for spring break from North Country School).

MissySki

Angel Diva
@SqueakySnow I don't think Sugarbush is hard to get to from Burlington at all. Just take 89 south and get off at the exit for Route 100 South. It shouldn't take you more than an hour.

Agreed. I did the opposite on New Year’s Eve, skied Sugarbush and then headed to Burlington for the night. It was an easy drive and took around an hour. Have fun!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Don’t miss MRG’s $3.50 lift ticket day on Tuesday!

I have nothing but great things to say about Sugarbush. Independently owned, community oriented with a great tavern at Lincoln Peak. I prefer the trails at Mt. Ellen (Sugarbush North) but the lodge is definitely old school. The views from either of the two peaks are fabulous and the trails are super cozy. My profile photo was actually taken at Mt. Ellen.

707DF2D1-1818-4C63-8A8D-1B2710F9E0DA.jpeg9C91837F-6177-47E5-A409-BFDD694D65D8.jpeg

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It's easy to get to from Burlington, but not so easy to get to from points south (like MA, CT, NY, Jersey, etc.) which is why I think it doesn't get as much attention here as the ski areas that are closer to major thoroughfares.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's easy to get to from Burlington, but not so easy to get to from points south (like MA, CT, NY, Jersey, etc.) which is why I think it doesn't get as much attention here as the ski areas that are closer to major thoroughfares.
Or else people who are regulars to the Mad River Valley don't want it to get too much publicity so that it doesn't get as crowded as Stowe or Killington. :wink:

Although now that Sugarbush is on the MCP and Ikon, my guess is that there are people more inclined to drive north of Stowe to see how Sugarbush compares. I like Sugarbush better than Stowe since I don't need a ski town to have a fun during a ski trip.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone, this has been a great help :smile: @ilovepugs we are totally going to MRG tomorrow for $3.50 lift tickets, can’t pass that up, then to the ‘Bush on Wednesday. Should be a balmy 22 degrees both days! Winter comes back on Thursday ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna