• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Subaru Forester/Mazda CX-5

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BF's Subaru has 200k on it and still runs great. Very comfortable car. I just wanted something different. That's why I'm going for the VW Tiguan AWD. Little (not much) cheaper than Audi q3 so went for it.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Subaru used to be known for head gasket problems. Things I read made it sound as if you should just plan for that by x mileage. I asked about it before seriously considering a Subaru and was told that the problem was fixed several years back ... 2012 is what comes to mind, but I have no idea if that is the correct year.

I bought a 2018 Crosstrek because it was the closest fit for my needs. One requirement was that I be able to sleep in the back of the vehicle should I go road-tripping and need to. The SUVs fit my needs -- maybe better than the Crosstrek -- but didn't fit me very well. For safety reasons, they say, the metal of the doors comes up higher and curves up even higher by the back seats. I felt like I had limited visibility. I am short. I would raise the seat all the way up and sometimes still felt like

images.jpeg

(Edith Ann) sitting in the driver's seat. And some of them are so wide.

The Crosstrek has been fine, but feels kinda meh compared to my 2005 RAV4. The old RAV4 (pre-2006) was smaller and had a sportier handling to it. It was fun to drive. If it had been AWD, I'd still be driving it today.

"Fun" driving for me is not about how much pep a vehicle has taking off from a stoplight. It's about the handling, the cornering, feeling the road.

Being considerably taller than I, the SUVs may fit you well. But you're familiar with all of that from the RAV you have. One of the questions might be ... if you could change something about your current RAV, what would that be? If there is nothing you would change, maybe the RAV is the right choice for you.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had 2 subarus over the years and switched to Toyota in 2013. My experience with them were they handle really well in snow/ice but are slow, maintenance is expensive and my 2008 outback started to go through the wheel bearings around 50,000 miles. Mine was the family hauler so with my husband, 2 kids and gear it was very slow (had the 4 cylinder with manual transmission). I've been very happy with Toyota.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny out of couriosity what dealerships are closest to you ? Not sure if having to drive for service is a concern?

Having recently gone thru looking for a used vehicle worthy of mountain driving we've sampled quite a few different suvs. In the end its what best meets your criteria - for me it was more comfort for the 5 hour drive. The outback is comfortable but sits low and I was only interested in the 6 cylinder which I believe they are now phasing out? Im just not a subaru person. I haven't driven the new RAV but if I were a Toyota person I would add it to my list. Or Lexus for the comfort. If you want to stick with a 6 cylinder you could try the new Honda Passport. The Mazda gets good reviews but didnt get to test drive.

@santacruz skier I know the Tiguan "asks" for premium - I drove one for a week as a rental from Hertz. I thought who is going to pay for premium if they are renting a car ? It drove fine to Mammoth on regular. Im sure there are consequences and certainly driving with premium would provide an optimal response from the motor.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just sold my CX-5 with tears in my eyes because I needed something that could tow more. If you favor sporty handling that also handles snow well, then a CX-5 is well worth the look. I had ZERO issues with mine other than the usual silly recalls that were easily taken care of. Averaged 27 mpg at altitude. I kept up on oil changes with synthetic oil, changed the engine air filter a couple of times, changed the spark plugs at 80k miles, rotated the tires, and that was it. Best car I've ever owned, and most fun to drive. But, I like a sporty feel to my vehicles and am not a "pedestrian" driver.

It handled the snow amazingly well with stock all-season tires on it until they wore down after a year or two, then I got snows for it. I drove it to and from the mountain 100 times per ski season over the span of 4 years. I definitely tested it in the snow and would buy one again without hesitation. I actually wanted to go with a CX-9 with a turbo to replace it, but they are a new model and therefore out of my price range.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had two Foresters with the Turbo. 2015 and now have a 2018. The turbo is fabulous to have. However I think from 2019 they stopped adding the turbo which is unfortunate. The Ascent is a nice car, but only been out a year so all the real usage data has yet to be collected.

Neither car has given me a single problem. I just wish it were bigger---like the Ascent.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 2016 Outback with the 3.6R engine, it's not turbo, just a more powerful engine. I love it, the outback with re 2.5 engine didn't feel powerful enough, but I was coming from driving Impreza.

Jenny

Angel Diva
All right, I just got done committing to a 2018 Camry SE with 19000 miles. Had been looking at the same Camry but with 45000 miles and a 2017 Forester with about the same. Both priced the same, dealerships both convenient. Then found this Camry at a different dealership, slightly lower price, and many fewer miles, so that decided it.

Glad something came up to push me one way or the other - I liked them both.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BF's Subaru has 200k on it and still runs great. Very comfortable car. I just wanted something different. That's why I'm going for the VW Tiguan AWD. Little (not much) cheaper than Audi q3 so went for it.
We are an Audi/Subaru family, but my A3 is driving my SO crazy because it's such a basketcase so my next car (is in, needs to purchased in the next 30 days) is only allowed to be a Subaru or a Jeep. Audi = fun & fast = expensive and finicky.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had two Foresters with the Turbo. 2015 and now have a 2018. The turbo is fabulous to have. However I think from 2019 they stopped adding the turbo which is unfortunate.

Was thinking this too, that they phased out the turbo on the Forester in 2018/2019.

The same guy that told me that also told me that the Forester doesn't actually have any better clearance than the Outback, it's just sits up slightly higher? Not sure if I believe that but never did the research to confirm. The plowing around Tahoe can be bad if the snow is coming down too fast, so finally admitting that maybe we need something more like a pick-up truck for the really deep days..

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Um, pickups are horrible in the snow. They don't have any weight so they slide and bounce really severely. To a point of danger, really.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We are an Audi/Subaru family, but my A3 is driving my SO crazy because it's such a basketcase so my next car (is in, needs to purchased in the next 30 days) is only allowed to be a Subaru or a Jeep. Audi = fun & fast = expensive and finicky.
Yeah I'm aware of expensive repairs on German cars. Had my VW new beetle convertible 8 years.... think Subaru more reliable than jeep... I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles and am buying VW Tiguan SEL with <24k and still under warranty. Thankfully.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was thinking this too, that they phased out the turbo on the Forester in 2018/2019.

The same guy that told me that also told me that the Forester doesn't actually have any better clearance than the Outback, it's just sits up slightly higher? Not sure if I believe that but never did the research to confirm. The plowing around Tahoe can be bad if the snow is coming down too fast, so finally admitting that maybe we need something more like a pick-up truck for the really deep days..

I believe the clearance is the same (8.7 in) on all of Subaru's vehicles minus the Impreza, Legacy, and WRX, which are lower obviously.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone ran a car fax and took their used cars to independent mechanic for a pre purchase inspection right? oh and check the computer log to see if any recent warnings
:wink:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Everyone ran a car fax and took their used cars to independent mechanic for a pre purchase inspection right? oh and check the computer log to see if any recent warnings
:wink:
Absolutely..... mine still under warranty.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Car fax - yes. Other stuff - not yet. It's a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned, so that helps make sure all is well, right? There's extra warranty coverage. How do you check a computer log? That would be something they have to read off the car system, right?

I pick it up tomorrow. Maybe I'll throw in a question about what happens if my mechanic finds something that they did't mention . . .

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best wishes with your new wheels, @Jenny , what color did you get?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats @Jenny!

Car fax - yes. Other stuff - not yet. It's a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned, so that helps make sure all is well, right? There's extra warranty coverage. How do you check a computer log? That would be something they have to read off the car system, right?

I pick it up tomorrow. Maybe I'll throw in a question about what happens if my mechanic finds something that they did't mention . . .

Certified Pre Owned is great and in a different league then just a car on the lot or a 3rd party sale.
As you said you get extra warranty as well, its has lower miles and its a Toyota :smile:

Computer "log" depends on car as far as technology in the navigation system - the car I recently bought from a 3rd party was not fully cleared so I could see some of the previous maintenance minders and could check w/ service done on car fax, as well as all her phone numbers, destinations, and well I can probably still open her garage door :0

Its been and interesting journey adding another car to our family. I was going to buy DD a "get around town" used car but after going thru a $hit show of liars on crags list and auto traders I decided pass down my Honda with 240k miles to her which I have owned and meticulously serviced for 11 years.
I was lucky to find something used for me, with the ability to have my guys fully inspect it after multiple test drives. If it hadn't worked out I would have gone the dealer certified route as well. Just not interested in any new cars, the models I do like are all new for 2019, and Im not into buying the first model year.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly