• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stupid Questions & Ever Wondered Why...??

NMSkierNowInNH

Diva in Training
Ok... I'll start. I see this in a lot of posts but can someone please tell me what "DH" means in a posting?? It appears to refer to a person but not sure...

2nd: Ever wonder why some "rocket scientist" (I'm being sarcastic) decided the term "on piste" is a better term to use than what worked just fine for years specifically: "groomed" or "ungroomed with fresh powder" trails??

If it ain't broke, broke fix it!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We actually have a dictionary of skiing terms here, if anyone has questions about any of those.

And here's an acronym dictionary.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Think piste was originally used in Europe and still is.

NMSkierNowInNH

Diva in Training
It means "on trail". From the French "en piste". Piste is trail.
I know what the term "on-piste" means & that it's French. I'm just wondering why on Earth did we need to start using the term in The U.S.? "Groomed" or "Ungroomed with fresh snow" worked just fine for years... Was it truly necessary to start using a different term...??

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a Frenchie I fully understand why the US does not need the piste related terms amd good get away with a groomer or ungroomed groomer or simply a never groomed run. A piste can be groomed or not groomed. In the US off piste has come to mean not groomed, but this is not the original meaning. Off piste in France meams not a run, groomed or ungroomed. A run is a place people ski that has been controlled for avalanches. Where France is different is that many resorts have off piste in bounds, meaning that the second you leave the piste or ski between two pistes at a ski area you are potentially in avalanche terrain and should be wearing a transceiver. This concept makes little sense in the US where wenusw in bounds versus out of bounds and rope off any highbrosk area in biunds. Not so in France and thus the confusion when Euros come and want an off piste guide. They mean out of bounds aka backcountry where as we think they just want to get off the groomers.

mustski

Angel Diva
Piste is actually "track" not trail. It is used in car racing also. But, basically, in Europe "hors-piste" is anything ungroomed and @snoWYmonkey is spot on. Avalanche gear is definitely recommended. When we were in Les 3 Vallées, our instructor/guide took us "hors-piste" in St. Martin de Belleville because he assessed the avi danger as very unlikely. None of us had avi gear, but we were very close to "en piste," and would zip between pistes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna