• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Steamboat Feb 3-4 & Copper Mountain Feb 6

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
DH and I just returned from our first trip ever to Colorado. We purchased our IKON passes specifically because we were taking this trip, and no blackouts at Tremblant. I was happy that our passes worked at the gates without the need to visit a Customer Service desk first.

Sunday Feb 3rd started out rough. We got to the mountain via hotel shuttle and had to wait 45 minutes for our turn on the gondola. We were lucky enough to get off the gondola 5 minutes before a snow storm blew in. I don't think we waited an hour for it to ski off and finally start our day, but people reported being trapped on the gondola for that long. The thing that hit me was the thin air, and I was struggling going down a (blue) trail that would be no big deal at home. I kept at it, taking breaks on the trails as needed and acclimatized by the afternoon. The sun came out afterwards and it ended up being a spectacular bluebird day. It was so nice, we didn't stop for lunch and just nibbled on snacks on the chairs. Unfortunately my Garmin didn't record the day's activities, for some reason, so I don't have a record of how many runs I did :frown: The next day was grey with very flat light. We ended up giving up at noon because we were so worn out from the previous day that we just went back to the hotel to watch TV and relax.

Wednesday Feb 6 started out early with a snow storm. Parking in the free Alpine lot, we put on our gear in the car then got in line for the Blue shuttle. We did a quick blue run to warm up then went all the way up to check out the bowls. While it was still storming. At the top of the T-bar, there were strong winds and zero visibility. We decided to go into Spaulding Bowl and skim all the way to the end to get to a single black diamond run... which was easier said than done when everything in your field of vision is blank white! But we went into the trees and everything got quiet and was visible. The cool thing was that the storm brought in some fresh powder -- a type of snow that I've never, ever skied before. Another cool thing is that I realized that I can ski glades and bumpy trails in the West... because they're not like the hard packed, icy death traps in the East. But the trails are sooo long and I got tired really quickly. So after a blue and two blacks, I quit after lunch. Speaking of lunch, for anyone looking at Solitude Station's rice bowls... note that this station is only open on weekends. I was looking forward to having a nice vegan lunch with tofu and ended up having a burrito bowl, which ended up being pretty ok.

Overall, it was a good trip. I realize now that I can't get as many runs in like I do at Tremblant on really tall mountains that have ungroomed trails with snow that needs to be worked through. It's just a different kind of skiing, I guess. I love speeding down groomers hehe.

marzNC

Angel Diva
DH and I just returned from our first trip ever to Colorado. We purchased our IKON passes specifically because we were taking this trip, and no blackouts at Tremblant. I was happy that our passes worked at the gates without the need to visit a Customer Service desk first. . . .
Thanks for the trip report!

Overall, it was a good trip. I realize now that I can't get as many runs in like I do at Tremblant on really tall mountains that have ungroomed trails with snow that needs to be worked through. It's just a different kind of skiing, I guess. I love speeding down groomers hehe.
Definitely a different kind of terrain in the Rockies compared to the northeast. Although you can find long groomers as well. But if it's dumping snow . . . :smile:

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
Definitely a different kind of terrain in the Rockies compared to the northeast. Although you can find long groomers as well. But if it's dumping snow . . . :smile:

I really need to get more comfortable on not-so-smooth snow surfaces in general. It's too easy to get caught in messy snow and wipe out!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really need to get more comfortable on not-so-smooth snow surfaces in general. It's too easy to get caught in messy snow and wipe out!
How did you get started with skiing? What I've learned in the last 5-6 years taking lessons from very experienced instructors is that solid technique developed on groomers also applies to ungroomed terrain. Midweek intermediate lessons at a destination resort can work out pretty well as a way to get started.

Key ski conditioning involves balance and core strength, not leg strength. Just had a lesson program with a 30+ year instructor who noted that having a good stance is key. She kept telling the weakest person in our advanced lesson group to stand up and stop bending at the waist, especially in bumps or chopped up snow. That person could get down steep terrain but was using all muscle and no finesse. Had never had a lesson even though has been skiing for a decade, mostly with advanced/expert skiers on challenging terrain at a big mountain.

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
How did you get started with skiing? What I've learned in the last 5-6 years taking lessons from very experienced instructors is that solid technique developed on groomers also applies to ungroomed terrain. Midweek intermediate lessons at a destination resort can work out pretty well as a way to get started.

Key ski conditioning involves balance and core strength, not leg strength. Just had a lesson program with a 30+ year instructor who noted that having a good stance is key. She kept telling the weakest person in our advanced lesson group to stand up and stop bending at the waist, especially in bumps or chopped up snow. That person could get down steep terrain but was using all muscle and no finesse. Had never had a lesson even though has been skiing for a decade, mostly with advanced/expert skiers on challenging terrain at a big mountain.

A high school teacher who took a small group skiing for a few days. I'd go skiing once a year, on and off, later on. I decided to take up skiing, buying all the equipment and ski passes, about 5 years ago. So basically self taught? I manage about 10 ski days a year so I have limited time to practice. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze in a lesson one day.

One thing I noticed at Copper while on a black diamond trail, where I suddenly found myself on was a wack load of bumps, was that they were very doable because they were large, spaced well apart and covered with a lot of powder. I wouldn't even dare go down a mogul trail at home. The bumps at Tremblant are just super hard packed ice traps.

Both this year and last, I noticed that I can jump back on the skis at the beginning of the season and I'm good. I don't have the worries or fears of a newbie skier any more. I love racing down a blue. Trying to get comfortable with getting down a black trail fast now... which I can really only do if it was groomed that morning with no crazy ice patches. Expo and Action trails come to mind. I had a couple of amazing, memorable runs on those last year on bluebird mornings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly