• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Staying in Hostels

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ladies!

So apparently I've reached the point where skiing is getting way out of my price range, and it's the lodging expenses that are the most absurd. I've finally found a hostel near my favorite hill (homestyle hostel near okemo) and for $40 a night it seems like it could be a great move.

I've never stayed in a hostel and was hoping some of you who have stayed either here or in other Hostels could give me some advice on what to expect. Are dorms usually separated by gender? Traveling alone, I'd be more comfortable in a dorm with just women, but traveling with my boyfriend obviously we'd like to be in the same dorm. Also where do you keep your bags? Ski gear is pricey so I want to know my stuff is safe.

And are the bathrooms normally set up more like a public bathroom with multiple stalls and sinks and such, or is it common to have 1 toilet, sink, and shower shared among a bunch of people. Obviously for skiing, we're all trying to head out at about the same time and that could be a mad house with a single bathroom!

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ladies!

So apparently I've reached the point where skiing is getting way out of my price range, and it's the lodging expenses that are the most absurd.

Agree with you on this. When it comes to leisure activities, the ancillary services tend to add lots of cost. The hospitality industry tries their best to get out the most out of the skiers.

Personally I've never stayed in hostels, although I have planned to. After I have discovered the Airbnb, I forgot about them. However, when it comes to staying at large ski resorts, the hostels may be a good option.

As to your question, did you try reaching out to the hostel administration with questions? Also, the TripAdvisor online reviewers often post experiences about inexpensive travel options, and may be helpful as well.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with you on this. When it comes to leisure activities, the ancillary services tend to add lots of cost. The hospitality industry tries their best to get out the most out of the skiers.

Personally I've never stayed in hostels, although I have planned to. After I have discovered the Airbnb, I forgot about them. However, when it comes to staying at large ski resorts, the hostels may be a good option.

As to your question, did you try reaching out to the hostel administration with questions? Also, the TripAdvisor online reviewers often post experiences about inexpensive travel options, and may be helpful as well.

I haven't called the hostel yet, but did browse their website. As for trip advisor, most of the reviews were for the restaurant on site or from people who stayed in private rooms (which unfortunately are no less expensive than hotels in the area)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've finally found a hostel near my favorite hill (homestyle hostel near okemo) and for $40 a night it seems like it could be a great move.
No direct experience with hostels. But do notice the small motels along the New England highways that are a bit harder to find online.

As an example, look at the Happy Trails Motel, queen bed for $59/night on a non-holiday weekend in January. Turned up when I did a search on "ludlow vt motel".

https://www.happytrailsmotel.com/index.html

Christy

Angel Diva
Hostels are all different. I think I've stayed in every configuration imaginable, from a converted castle with enormous rooms full of schoolkids on mattressas on the floor to mixed gender alpine huts to very cozy same-sex small rooms with their own bathroom. The crowds can be really different too – – some are popular with families, some with adults, some with the young backpacking crowd. There are definitely some that have that young party atmosphere. I'd dig a little deeper around the Internet for reviews of any particular one you are considering. There used to be sites dedicated to hostel reviews, but it's been a long time since I've looked for those.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MilkyWookiee I've stayed in the hostel in Warren near SB and MRG Hostel Tevere (as well as other places during warmer seasons). It is definitely not like being in a hotel, but it is comfortable and cheap. If I recall, the dorms were unisex--I don't think they can count on enough guests to "save space" for specific genders. That said, when I was checking in, I believe the person directed me to the room where another woman was staying. There were not many people there when I went.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the FAQs for the Okemo place: https://homestylehostel.com/faq/

It looks like you share a bathroom only with the people in your room, but there is just one per dorm. They also provide a room for storage of your gear, but you need to bring your own lock. I would definitely do so. All of this seems very similar to the Warren, VT hostel too.

I think the hostel option is a great one, especially for solo trips, or if you are going up a day early and meeting friends, etc. It also looks like you can get reservations for dinner, plus there is a pub, so it's likely to be fun and social. Have fun!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey ladies!

So apparently I've reached the point where skiing is getting way out of my price range, and it's the lodging expenses that are the most absurd. I've finally found a hostel near my favorite hill (homestyle hostel near okemo) and for $40 a night it seems like it could be a great move.

I've never stayed in a hostel and was hoping some of you who have stayed either here or in other Hostels could give me some advice on what to expect. Are dorms usually separated by gender? Traveling alone, I'd be more comfortable in a dorm with just women, but traveling with my boyfriend obviously we'd like to be in the same dorm. Also where do you keep your bags? Ski gear is pricey so I want to know my stuff is safe.

And are the bathrooms normally set up more like a public bathroom with multiple stalls and sinks and such, or is it common to have 1 toilet, sink, and shower shared among a bunch of people. Obviously for skiing, we're all trying to head out at about the same time and that could be a mad house with a single bathroom!

I'm local to the Okemo area, and the Homestyle Hostel is really, really nice. Great food, too. I don't think you could do better.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't stayed at the Homestyle Hostel but I concur with ski diva. They also run the motel, Main & Mountain across the street. The owners are very friendly and helpful. And when the restaurant is open, the food is really good. The drinks are super creative, too.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't stayed at the Homestyle Hostel but I concur with ski diva. They also run the motel, Main & Mountain across the street. The owners are very friendly and helpful. And when the restaurant is open, the food is really good. The drinks are super creative, too.
I stayed at M&M this past weekend! It was everything I could want out of ski accommodations, but sometimes you just don't NEED everything you want. It actually makes sense that they'd run the hostel. Seems to be run by some very lovely young hipsters who have probably stayed in a ton of hostels themselves. I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have stayed at a hostel in Mammoth and just recently at one just outside Vail. They were very different in a lot of ways but also shared similarities. I think they are a great option when traveling alone, looking to save money and don't need your own space. I liked that there were always people to talk with and I had the option of cooking in a full size and stocked kitchen, storing things in a fridge, hanging on a couch or in front of a fire as well as the bed that was mine The one downside to both was that they didn't offer much room for my stuff and you had to live out of your suitcase because there was no room at all to unpack.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No direct experience with hostels. But do notice the small motels along the New England highways that are a bit harder to find online.

As an example, look at the Happy Trails Motel, queen bed for $59/night on a non-holiday weekend in January. Turned up when I did a search on "ludlow vt motel".

https://www.happytrailsmotel.com/index.html

I've stayed at Happy Trails quite a few times over the past 2-3 years. It has become a place I will not stay at again, not clean and the hot tub is no longer used.

I have stayed at hostels quite a few times, not the one in Ludlow but only hear good things and it is new. If you're skiing at Killington try Turn of River Lodge (on Rt 4). Nice, clean, fun spot with a HUGE fireplace in the common room.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve stayed at a hostel in Chicago with a few friends. They had gendered dorms as well as unisex dorms, you could choose based on your preference. Each dorm room had 2 single bathrooms, but I know there are others that have large shower stalls like college dorms.

The hostel we stayed at had lockers in the room, so you can bring a lock with you to lock up the locker. Although I’m not sure the skis would fit in the lockers at the hostel I stayed at, but I do know they had a separate room where people could lock up their bikes. Since the hostel is near a ski resort they may have some accommodation and storage solutions for skiers, so I think it’s worth calling them to ask.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just realized I never updated you all! I stayed in Homestyle Hostel for 1 weeknight the week before Christmas. Pretty empty because it was a weeknight and the restaurant wasn't open. Everything was SO CLEAN! And the staff was extremely friendly. Once you get past the commercial appliances, it truly feels like you're in somebody's home!
It is an old building and it makes some odd noises. All night long I could hear this dripping sound, and it was one of those sounds that could definitely drive you mad if you listen to it long enough. That paired with people checking in at 2 am means I definitely will be bringing ear plugs next time!
That said, I had a great experience and am planning to stay there again in a couple of weeks. This time I'll be going with my boyfriend and it will be a weekend so I'm hoping for a good bit more of a social experience.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in the day, I stayed in hostels all over Europe. Earplugs or earbuds will help. Also a white noise app on your phone.

I always take cough drops, too. Not for me, but for the person in the other bunk, who coughed once a minute during the entire night.

I don't know what the electric outlet situation is in the hostel, but if you bring an extension cord, more people could plug in.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in the day, I stayed in hostels all over Europe. Earplugs or earbuds will help. Also a white noise app on your phone.

I always take cough drops, too. Not for me, but for the person in the other bunk, who coughed once a minute during the entire night.

I don't know what the electric outlet situation is in the hostel, but if you bring an extension cord, more people could plug in.

This hostel is run by a young hipster couple, so they actually have a white noise machine in each dorm as well as the private rooms! There is an outlet (so 2 plugs) for each bunk, plus a reading light, and the mattresses are memory foam. And they get major kudos because at full capacity I think there's still a ratio of about 3 coat hooks per guest, so backpacks and towels can get hung up too.
In retrospect, none of my roommates were snorers last time, but my boyfriend is, so breathe right strips are a must too for this upcoming trip! And maybe extra pillows, theirs were pretty flat. I don't normally travel with my pillow but I know many people who won't leave home without it.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad to know that they are so well prepared. I think this was the place a friend stayed a few years ago. She was uncomfortable staying in a unisex dorm, so the couple gave her a private room.

My tip for the extension cord is based on my experiences in airports with too many devices and not enough outlets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly