• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Staying Fit in a Covid-19 World: Best Fitness Apps

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another Youtube link.

Thanks to @ski diva , I've been exploring the Shine fitness videos. They're fun and not too complicated, great for cardio. I haven't done this one yet, but it's the right length for me.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Timely news for online workouts, copied from Morning Brew, a business news newsletter. It shows how online fitness platforms are working out. Pun unintended.

Two recent developments show that, in the coronavirus-era fitness industry, it’s best to offer a service that can be used without masking up.

NO. 1: PELOTON POPS
The company’s earnings report caused financial reporters to sound like fitness instructors.
* Yahoo Finance writes that Peloton “smashed Wall Street’s sales and operating profit forecasts.” Revenue grew 66% to $525 million.
* “Peloton added an insane 1.1 million users to its digital fitness platform from March 16 to April 30,” YF added.
* “Peloton shares hit an all-time intraday high Wednesday”—CNBC (that’s the biz journalist equivalent of Denis Morton saying, “If you can’t get out of it, get into it”). The stock is up nearly 100% since March 12.
Point being, with most gyms closed, equipment and online classes like Peloton’s are selling like hotcakes that make your legs stronger. But it doesn’t have the WorkoutFH windfall all to itself—Echelon, a company that makes more affordable internet-connected bikes, sold five times more equipment than it expected in Q1.
And there are other hills ahead for Peloton, like when to re-deploy its expensive treadmill, which it stopped delivering in mid-March.

NO. 2: GOLD’S FOLDS
Sort of. Gold’s Gym announced Monday that it had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Its gyms will remain open, and it hopes to resurface from bankruptcy before August, but it’s not a good omen for brick-and-mortar fitness. Plus, the owner of New York Sports Clubs and Lucille Roberts gyms hired a law firm to help restructure its debt last month.
Bottom line: The fitness trend spawned by the pandemic is simple—bring workouts into homes. What’s more complicated is how gyms that once depended on in-person sweat sessions stay in business after switching to virtual classes, especially since many of us are enjoying our taste of life without membership fees.

Jilly

Staff member
My gym is doing virtual classes. Except they are at 2pm. The owner has young kids and they are down for their naps. I'm working, so that's not going to happen. They have done some 7:30 core classes, but I find that late. 5:30 would be better. Now there is a request for donations to the cause. Since I've only done I think 3 sessions and they still owe me 2 private sessions, not getting anything from me yet.

Another place in town is doing virtual sessions but there is a class fee. So I guess you don't get the log in info without paying.

My problem with the virtual is that I don't have any weights at home. And since I have a "membership", I'm not buying weights now.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I really prefer to go somewhere to workout, rather than home. I'm glad the yoga studio is doing virtual classes (and that they’re at my regular times/days), and they seem to be well-received, but for the membership I’m paying . . . Well, if it weren’t for these extraordinary circumstances, and the fact that I want the studio to survive, I wouldn’t be paying this much. Luckily, we can afford to keep it up, but I won’t do it permanently.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Yes, my gym membership is for the unique equipment they have. I'm glad I can afford to lose this spring to have them in the future, but it's not really an arrangement that works for me personally....

MissySki

Angel Diva
My yoga studio started offering an online streaming membership, which is significantly cheaper than the regular monthly fee. The past 8 weeks were free/or donation based which I thought was very generous. I love the at home option, and will likely keep it up in the future since I’ll be working from home more. It’s just so convenient.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really prefer to go somewhere to workout, rather than home.
I like having the option of exercising at the fitness center, in addition to at home, mainly because it's different. I get bored doing the same thing in general. Taking a class every now and then, or just using the machines and fitness tools keeps me interested. There is also a climbing wall open at certain hours complete with a belayer, so that's another option for a little fun cardio workout.

That said, it helps that the fitness center is only about a mile away. On nice days I can ride my bike there.

Jenny

Angel Diva
See, for me, going somewhere at a certain time for a class makes me actually do it. I think that’s why the streaming is working, because it’s still a live class so I have to "go". I've not yet used any of the recorded classes.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The studio is offering some free Pilates classes on Mother’s Day! I’m not teaching. Mat at 9:30. If you have kids, there is a free Family Class Saturday at noon. All on Facebook or the studio site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly