• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Staying Fit in a Covid-19 World: Best Fitness Apps

MissySki

Angel Diva
Following. Looks like I might be getting on my rollerblades earlier than expected if weather allows at home. Anyone have a great yoga app?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know there are Pilates instructors at the studio where I work at home who are offering private online teaching. We also have online follow along classes. I know a few teachers who are doing this. One of my friends is even offering an online class to teach instructors how to teach online. I know a number of personal trainers who are also teaching remotely. Obviously it is not as effective as working one on one but being separate at this point sounds a lot safer.

When I get home I have a full Pilates studio in my condo. I also have a TRX suspension system trainer for full body work. I also intend to walk and jog a bit. If I were up here I’d be hiking although there is a lot of mud already.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
This is really random but Johnson & Johnson has an app called the “7 minute workout” and it’s actually really great for travelers and people who don’t have fitness equipment at home. It’s all body weight exercises. All you need is a mat and a sturdy chair. The workouts are customizable in length (not just 7 minutes) and to your fitness level.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have an indoor trainer you can put your bike on I enjoy the GCN cycling workouts on you tube. I do some of the adidas runtastic channel YouTube workouts also.

kiki

Angel Diva
I was thinking of pulling my bicycle out, there are quiet paths by the dykes where I could so and not get near people and it’s nice here.

At home I have an exercise rebounder / (mini trampoline) and recommend that. They cost about $100 and you can use it while you watch TV or listen to an audio book/music. Takes very little room to store. Full body exercise, especially if you put little weight on your wrists. I believe you can get both the rebounder and wrist weights delivered by Walmart online.
I do yoga on my own at home.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have an indo board balance trainer—can use the hard roller or squishy flat ball options to do different work. And two 1/2 foam rollers also (like a cylinder split the long way — curve to ground stand on flat part facing up)

newboots

Angel Diva
This is a different kind of fitness - a class for helping your nervous system to settle and boosting immunity. It is taught by a wonderful teacher I worked with while I lived in Northampton. This is a new class, but I recommend her!

Attachments

• Donna zoom class.pdf
    615.3 KB · Views: 4

marzNC

Angel Diva
This is really random but Johnson & Johnson has an app called the “7 minute workout” and it’s actually really great for travelers and people who don’t have fitness equipment at home. It’s all body weight exercises. All you need is a mat and a sturdy chair. The workouts are customizable in length (not just 7 minutes) and to your fitness level.
I like that app. Started using it last winter because the original 7-min Workout app I used to use isn't supported any more so I couldn't get it onto my current iPhone.

In general doing HIIT is pretty easy at home. But it helps to have an app that's doing the timing. Sometimes I won't exactly follow the exercise if it's one that I'd rather not do because it's hard on knees, but substituting is easy. The J&J version has a nice library of exercises for different interest levels.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So far my gym hasn't closed. It's very small with approx. 200 members. Besides lots of sanitizing they have reduced spinning and other classes from 15 to 8 participants to observe the 6 ft rule. Semi-Private training has always been 5 participants so no changes there. At the time I attend we rarely have more than 3 people. The gym is usually closed from 12 to 3 pm but have now scheduled open gym during that time for those who get blocked out of their regular class time. Maximum 3 people per hour. They will have workouts available but no instructor. No walk ins will be allowed for any training sessions or classes. Absolutely no children are allowed in the gym. Frequent use of hand sanitizer is recommended. If a member refuses to follow the rules they will be removed. Outdoor workouts may be in the picture.

If the gym closes I have weights and such at home so I'm hoping that my trainer will do online training. I also have my bicycles, indoor bicycle trainer, slid board etc.

I'm really nervous about going to the gym. However, I don't want to lose the gains I have made over the years. Besides, I need to workout to maintain my sanity with all this.

newboots

Angel Diva
So far my gym hasn't closed. It's very small with approx. 200 members. Besides lots of sanitizing they have reduced spinning and other classes from 15 to 8 participants to observe the 6 ft rule. Semi-Private training has always been 5 participants so no changes there. At the time I attend we rarely have more than 3 people. The gym is usually closed from 12 to 3 pm but have now scheduled open gym during that time for those who get blocked out of their regular class time. Maximum 3 people per hour. They will have workouts available but no instructor. No walk ins will be allowed for any training sessions or classes. Absolutely no children are allowed in the gym. Frequent use of hand sanitizer is recommended. If a member refuses to follow the rules they will be removed. Outdoor workouts may be in the picture.

If the gym closes I have weights and such at home so I'm hoping that my trainer will do online training. I also have my bicycles, indoor bicycle trainer, slid board etc.

I'm really nervous about going to the gym. However, I don't want to lose the gains I have made over the years. Besides, I need to workout to maintain my sanity with all this.

I brought my own wipes to the gym and wiped the handles and gym equipment before and after using it. They have those nice-smelling wipes (the folks often forget to use) but I doubt they have the germ killing power of the chemical-scented wipes I brought!

Jilly

Staff member
My gym just announced that they are closing Will be offering virtual training. I have fitness testing on the 28th for the dragon boat crew. (If we have it that day) I need to be really good with this this time as there are more ladies on the crew than spots in the boat. Not sure why the coach has so many going. They have training on Wednesday mornings, so I'll hit that next week.

I'll see what Tanya has planned for my personal training that we were doing. I don't have any weights.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that we're living in a COVID world -- skiing is shut down, my gym is closed, it's not biking weather -- how does a Diva stay fit? Can anyone recommend fitness apps I can use at home?
What types of workouts do you enjoy or do at the gym?

There are quite a few free workouts on YouTube. There are also streaming services, like Beachbody on Demand.

I personally only workout at home and have a favorite instructor who I follow. I buy DVDs but she also has online access that you can stop anytime. She offers step, weights, kickboxing, HIIT and a variety of other types. If you want the website, let me know.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My gym is now closing and going virtual. For those who do personal training we will continue to have our training plans but adjusted to equipment we have at home. Class participants will have a variety of exercises, videos, etc.

I tried to do my workout today. Had the weights and kettlebell but I needed a TRX. I found a video of a guy using a sheet over a door as a substitute. Almost worked perfectly.

Jilly

Staff member
I did a virtual class tonight. We needed a mat and if you had one a stability ball. You could set up the program so you could ask questions or comment. I said something once and all of a sudden Jess say...I know that voice...Jill?

It was fun to do something like that in your own home. And I'm sure my abs are going to be killing me in the morning.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Somebody might've mentioned it already....downdog yoga. Just downloaded it

"Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, many people are avoiding gathering in large groups, including at yoga studios and other fitness spaces. We believe that stressful times like these are precisely when people need wellness practices the most, and we are committed to doing our part to help out.

So that anyone who wants to practice at home can do so, we are making all of our apps - Down Dog, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute Workout - completely free until April 1st. You can learn more about all five of these apps at https://www.downdogapp.com/

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today I tried the Down Dog yoga and barre apps for the first time. Really really liked them so far. It’s awesome that you can do super short or longer workouts, pick a focus, choose the voice of your instructor, and personalize the sounds or music you want to listen to during your session. I did them on my phone, and now I want to download the apps on my ipad for a larger screen. There are other workouts that they have separate apps for as well that I haven’t explored yet. Now I wonder what I’ll be paying once they aren’t free anymore! Lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna