• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stay in Heavenly village or by the stagecoach lift ?

ski4fun

Angel Diva
Hi, looking for advice on where to stay and have found condo rentals in both locations, it's just my son and I - we will be there for a week the 1st of March.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks~

merrydog

Angel Diva
The Stagecoach ares condos are more remote and accessed by a twisty road that can be difficult in a big storm. The village would be more central and easier to access but can be a bit bright/commercial.

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Village is right at the lake, and so has the best views and is more animated (meaning more people at night, ice skating, window shopping if that's your gig). Stagecoach is quieter and, as merrydog says, more difficult to get to. Plus, it's farther away from any nightlife, if you want more than just to curl up in the evening.

ski4fun

Angel Diva
I guess if we want to go out to dinner a couple of times it might be better in the village too.

Any recommendations for restaurants? - discounted lift tickets?

How does the mountain access compare, does it back up alot in the morning to get on the gondola? we are skiing mostly during the week so maybe that won't be an issue.

And if anyone knows, how long would it take to drive from the stagecoach area to the village ?

Thanks again.

skithesierras

Angel Diva
I don't know if you've already made your reservations, but thought I'd respond.

From The Ridge Tahoe (where I stay near the Stagecoach chair) it's only about 10 minutes down to the Village. We usually eat in the condo, but do go out for dinner sometimes. There are several good places to eat:

Fire and Ice is like a Mongolian BBQ down in the Village
Fox and Hound is a Pub with very good food near the Stagecoach lodge
The Chart House is also on the way down from Stagecoach lodge
The Cantina is on the way to Emerald Bay, so maybe 25 minutes from the Stagecoach area

You can get discount lift tickets for Heavenly two ways: 7-day advance purchase on their website (they'll mail you the tix) or at a SaveMart/Lucky in Carson City/Reno/Sacramento. Usually $10 less than window.

As far as mountain access, I haven't taken the gondola from the village, so can't compare. But the Stagecoach chair has been pretty empty this week! with parking right up close.

Hope that helps!

SueBobTexas

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi - started to post on this awhile ago but lost the post.

My recommendation is to stay in the Heavenly Village area - it gives you a lot more options - easy to catch one of the shuttles to Sierra at Tahoe, Kirkwood or Squaw Valley. That way you aren't limited to just skiing Heavenly. Sometimes Heavenly can be on wind control so another resort can be a good option.

You can also avoid having a car if you are flying into Reno - just catch a shuttle up to Harvey's and then get a taxi to your condo if you don't get a package at one of the hotels.

I agree that Fire and Ice is a fun place to go for dinner - just plan on a wait - it gets pretty crowded.

If you are driving the Stagecoach area is great because you avoid all the lines at the Gondola - can be a long wait - especially on the weekends if you are not an early riser.

ski4fun

Angel Diva
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies, my son and I ended up going to Vermont to ski (LONG story !! ).

Anyway I printed out everyone's suggestions because we are determined to ski around Tahoe one of these years. Guess we missed a good one with all the snow this year.

So thank you to everyone that took the time to respond.

social_ld

Diva in Training
how are runs around stagecoach?

hello all,

We are looking to stay at a condo by the Stagecoach lift at Heavenly. We will a kindergarten beginner who did greens and beginner blues at Northstar last year (maybe 1 intermediate blue). I see that Stagecoach has lots of blues to get back down the hill to the condo, but wondering if they are more advanced blues or intermediate or beginner blues. Anyone know?

Also, to get over to the other part of the mountain do people have to go up Stagecoach then continue up the mountain on the other lift (name escapes me) and then traverse the mountain to the greens/ski school/etc? Looks like all blues over there too and wondering how big a hassle this is and how advanced are those blues.

Wondering if this condo location is going to work. If not. anyone else have any other suggestions for a ski in/out at Heavenly that isn't going to cost us an arm/leg? Don't mind walking a block to get to a lift but rather not take a shuttle. Are there other locations we should be looking at? Or does anyone know of a specific condo?

thanks, Laura

marzNC

Angel Diva
hello all,

We are looking to stay at a condo by the Stagecoach lift at Heavenly. We will a kindergarten beginner who did greens and beginner blues at Northstar last year (maybe 1 intermediate blue). I see that Stagecoach has lots of blues to get back down the hill to the condo, but wondering if they are more advanced blues or intermediate or beginner blues. Anyone know?

Also, to get over to the other part of the mountain do people have to go up Stagecoach then continue up the mountain on the other lift (name escapes me) and then traverse the mountain to the greens/ski school/etc? Looks like all blues over there too and wondering how big a hassle this is and how advanced are those blues.

Wondering if this condo location is going to work. If not. anyone else have any other suggestions for a ski in/out at Heavenly that isn't going to cost us an arm/leg? Don't mind walking a block to get to a lift but rather not take a shuttle. Are there other locations we should be looking at? Or does anyone know of a specific condo?

thanks, Laura

Welcome! It's been a long time since I was at Heavenly, but hopefully others will chime in about the trails. We stayed at a timeshare condo next to the Arial Tramway on the California side, so didn't ski around Stagecoach. As I remember, it paid to keep up speed when returning from the Nevada side. Not sure if a little one can keep moving when it flattens out. The youngest kids in our group were tweens skiing blues confidently (2nd or 3rd annual trip out west from Chicago). Some questions come to mind . . .

When are you thinking about? Was the Northstar trip his first? Has he skied since? What type of skier are you and other folks involved in the trip?

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The blue runs at Heavenly are all rather easy (some I would have classified as greens rather than blues), so if your little one skied at Northstar with no problems you should be fine :smile:

To get to CA from Stagecoach, you'd take the Stagecoach lift up, take the traverse to your right then follow signs for Comet/Dipper lifts. Take Dipper to the top and then California Trail. I think you can also get to CA from the top of the Olympic lift, but I haven't been that way. To get back to NV from CA, you have to take the Sky lift, which they have a tendency to close if it's windy... so be aware of the weather conditions because you might have to take a shuttle back to Stagecoach if they close Sky.

If you're heading down to the ski school at the CA lodge, you can either go down the Roundabout trail (which is looong), or download on the tramway or the Gunbarrel lift.

Everything on the mountain is pretty well signposted so you shouldn't have a problem finding your way around. Just make sure you keep your speed up on the traverses as some of them are quite flat.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The blue runs at Heavenly are all rather easy (some I would have classified as greens rather than blues), so if your little one skied at Northstar with no problems you should be fine :smile:
... Just make sure you keep your speed up on the traverses as some of them are quite flat.

Agree with this. Your little one should be fine.
We stayed at the Ridge Tahoe also, and the views were amazingly awesome. It's up on top of the mountain with views down to both Lake Tahoe (snowy) and the Carson Valley (desert) on the opposite side. It was worth the 10 minute drive from town, so beautiful, and shuttle buses run constantly back and forth if you don't want to drive. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
We all decided the Stagecoach lift was one of the best lift options to take. No crowds, goes up to good terrain, there's lots of families and kids in the area too. The blues down are easy.
Just don't go through any trails roped off and closed because they look fine and it's the way home. They really are closed, as in impassable. We learned the hard way and had to trek a couple of miles over mud and dirt, carrying our skis, when the snow ran out.... :fear:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna