• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then take the leap of faith and stand up all at one time!!
Why? It's easy to get up on my feet once I'm kneeling on the board (in calm water). Is there benefit to doing it all at once?

Personally I always dress to be in the water - if the water is cold, I'm in neoprene pants, maybe top too depending on temps. I went this weekend and it was HOT, so I wore long thin pants and a long sleeved top. I find I'm more comfortable skipping the sunscreen except on my face and just getting my clothes wet to stay cool. (Just splashing myself is sufficient - I don't necessarily want to go through the effort of getting back on the board...)

And I always wear my PFD. I honestly haven't given it a ton of thought as to why other than it's comfortable and holds all my stuff in the pockets so why not? It does seem sketchy to think I could get it off the board and put it on after I get myself in trouble, should I ever need it. I have several of those waterproof pouches so I have my keys and phone, and have a holster attached to my PFD for my binoculars (for birdwatching)... so honestly the PFD is just handy and I just stick with the plan of always wearing it. Maybe it's all my downhill mountain biking experience, but typically the times you need your body armor the most are the days it's not on your body... So with a piece of safety gear that's comfortable to wear? I'm just going to stick with always wearing it.

And I have gone out alone before. I wouldn't go particularly far from shore alone, and would prefer to be where others can see me but.... I do go hiking alone too (again, nothing huge, but I guess it does align with my comfort level of doing outdoor things solo.)

I have been wearing quick dry jogging shorts with a barely-there pull on bra and a long sleeve sunblock shirt. I also hate sunscreen, so I've been wearing a safari style hat with a brim all around. And my PFD. Fashionable I am not, but it's more comfortable than a bathing suit. This may be my new normal when I go to the ocean, too! Soak the shirt, and it's ultra comfy. I have no idea what I'll do in colder weather. Probably mountain bike ;-)

I was "far away" from other people on the res, but still in viewing distance of 4 or 5 groups - probably a minute or two of paddling, if that. But far enough that if I lie down for a couple of minutes or mess with balance, I don't need to worry about being in anyone's way.

Close in is very crowded, with many children shouting and splashing. It's fine from a distance ...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Last night, the first video I found on Google said exactly that - that your legs need to be out behind you, floating in the water, rather than below you. I'm 100% sure my legs were below me and I was trying to just hoist myself onto the board like I was pulling myself up out of a swimming pool. I definitely need to try again and see if it's easier for me with this in mind. In the video they also weren't wearing vests - the vest gets in the way and makes it all very awkward.

Yes, exactly! I think the legs being out behind you to propel forward and up rather than just upward is the key. I can’t recall if I actually had a PFD on in the class when we did it though so that’s another good reason to practice with it when I go out.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Personally I always dress to be in the water - if the water is cold, I'm in neoprene pants, maybe top too depending on temps. I went this weekend and it was HOT, so I wore long thin pants and a long sleeved top. I find I'm more comfortable skipping the sunscreen except on my face and just getting my clothes wet to stay cool. (Just splashing myself is sufficient - I don't necessarily want to go through the effort of getting back on the board...)

And I always wear my PFD. I honestly haven't given it a ton of thought as to why other than it's comfortable and holds all my stuff in the pockets so why not? It does seem sketchy to think I could get it off the board and put it on after I get myself in trouble, should I ever need it. I have several of those waterproof pouches so I have my keys and phone, and have a holster attached to my PFD for my binoculars (for birdwatching)... so honestly the PFD is just handy and I just stick with the plan of always wearing it. Maybe it's all my downhill mountain biking experience, but typically the times you need your body armor the most are the days it's not on your body... So with a piece of safety gear that's comfortable to wear? I'm just going to stick with always wearing it.

And I have gone out alone before. I wouldn't go particularly far from shore alone, and would prefer to be where others can see me but.... I do go hiking alone too (again, nothing huge, but I guess it does align with my comfort level of doing outdoor things solo.)

Ohh what type of holster do you have for the binoculars? I love this idea, I was wondering if I would want to bring my binoculars out or if it would be a pain. I'd like to have them for bird watching if it's pretty convenient to do so and they are easily accessible on my body. Do you have a smaller pair for this type of activity, or just bring along your regular pair from other activities?

altagirl

Staff member
Ohh what type of holster do you have for the binoculars? I love this idea, I was wondering if I would want to bring my binoculars out or if it would be a pain. I'd like to have them for bird watching if it's pretty convenient to do so and they are easily accessible on my body. Do you have a smaller pair for this type of activity, or just bring along your regular pair from other activities?
I have a modular Cotton Carrier hip holster for my camera and binoculars and the second holster on that is removable. I just took it off the camera belt and attached it on to the side straps of my PFD.

Here is just the "Wanderer Holster" which has really solid velcro straps to hook on to any belt or one of the Cotton systems.

And my binos are waterproof so I just use my normal pair.

Jilly

Staff member
@bounceswoosh - if you try to get up by placing all your weight on the right foot, you're going to be off the board. Things need to stay balanced. So both feet planted at the same time works best.

How are you getting on the board in the first place? Off a dock, or it is just shallow where you start?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a modular Cotton Carrier hip holster for my camera and binoculars and the second holster on that is removable. I just took it off the camera belt and attached it on to the side straps of my PFD.

Here is just the "Wanderer Holster" which has really solid velcro straps to hook on to any belt or one of the Cotton systems.

And my binos are waterproof so I just use my normal pair.

Thank you!

Good point on the waterproof piece too, I have no idea if mine are or not so I imagine that likely means not.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh - if you try to get up by placing all your weight on the right foot, you're going to be off the board. Things need to stay balanced. So both feet planted at the same time works best.

How are you getting on the board in the first place? Off a dock, or it is just shallow where you start?

The reservoirs have a very gradual shore. I'm able to stand in water where it's deep enough to protect the fins, but shallow enough that it's easy to get one knee up, then the other. I was more questioning the standing part - I don't know why I would immediately stand rather than taking some time lying down or kneeling before standing up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The reservoirs have a very gradual shore. I'm able to stand in water where it's deep enough to protect the fins, but shallow enough that it's easy to get one knee up, then the other. I was more questioning the standing part - I don't know why I would immediately stand rather than taking some time lying down or kneeling before standing up.

My habit was usually to get on as you described based on the areas I've paddled, and then I get going on my knees before standing. I find it much easier to pop up to standing once I have a good glide going than when I'm at a standstill.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My habit was usually to get on as you described based on the areas I've paddled, and then I get going on my knees before standing. I find it much easier to pop up to standing once I have a good glide going than when I'm at a standstill.
Pretty sure I've even seen that advice in videos - movement makes it easier. Also after the struggle of climbing aboard, I need a moment! Just like after a fall in powder, it's good to get your head straight. That's my thought process.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Pretty sure I've even seen that advice in videos - movement makes it easier. Also after the struggle of climbing aboard, I need a moment! Just like after a fall in powder, it's good to get your head straight. That's my thought process.

Yeah, for me these habits are definitely from that first lesson I took. Maybe I need to experiment a little more as time goes on lol, but it has worked nicely so far.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:
Thought I would check in with those who have inflatable sups..... now thinking this may be my mountain option and looking at kids models. I certainly understand they will not paddle like a hard board.... but the trade off is having it in a back pack vs lugging a board.

How do the inflatables hold up?

Looking at super light kids versions so I can hike into smaller lakes. I don't need width or a lot of float.

Super cheap:

More options including attaching a sail?

OverKill:

Thoughts on any of these brands?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had my inflatable for 10 plus years and it is still going strong after multiple overnight trips and day trips.

I wonder if the thinner kid's biards will imoact longevity? Would be interesting to compare millimeters of thickness.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@WaterGirl I've been demoing iSUPs this spring. After having been a hard board snob for the past 12 years, I am resigned (mostly because of storage issues) that when I finally buy, it'll be an inflatable. The technology has changed a lot, and people race inflatables these days, so I think that as long as you can get it properly inflated, it can be a very adequate board.

Some observations so far:
* A friend who races is in favor of me buying a jr race sup. I cannot for the life of me find any jr race sups.
* Shop with a jr sup where I've been demoing actively discouraged me from jr sups, for reasons I am not entirely sure of (it was a new Fanatic air ripper that you have a link to)
* I tried longer boards (14' x 26.5" 312 L --- too much board to move; 12'6" x 28" 254L) with single fins, which are supposed to have great tracking. But, the moment the wind picked up the bow and spun me to the side, I could not for the life of me get it back on the direction I wanted to head. I think I was sitting too high on the water
* I think the biggest issue for smaller paddlers is the volume of the board (you don't want too much volume), which often corresponds to the thickness of the board. I haven't yet tried a 4" thick inflatable board; they have all been 6".
* Under 10' seems really short (and surfy) to me; I wonder if a junior board that is 10' but 4" may work better for adults? This cuts back to that Fanatic. Honestly, I really like its dimensions.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I get on that Fanatic; if you could do the same for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you everyone for the quick response! :smile:

@Jilly I'm in the ocean waves and wind on a 10 foot Surftech surfboard, 23 wide 3.28 inches thick and approx 87 L based on specs I found of a similar board on line. I have always SUP with a traditional longboard b/c that's what everyone had in the beginning and I've never upgraded. I would rather "surf" my shortboards so not into surfing a big SUP. I get it that ocean different than lake buoyancy, but I have been able to "sup" on a 6ft x24 inch Lifetime Wave Youth Kayak on the lake .... Im not saying my choices linked above might not be a bit challenging... but I would rather err on the side of less buoyancy then too much.

Things certainly have progressed with boards, wider and thicker for the masses/ yoga then back to shorter for surfing and long and narrow for touring. I believe that the inflatables have really come a long way in terms of flex and quality. I was trying to find something that I would be happy with in a lake at my mountain house. I can certainly take one of my boards and leave it at the mt, but as I look into it, the idea of hiking to smaller lakes with an inflatable is more appealing than driving to the bigger lakes with the masses. I spoke with a mt. neighbor who is my size and she is lugging 40lbs+ in her SUP pack on hikes, that's too much to bother carrying so I started looking into the kids boards.

@Pequenita thank you for the info and I agree with you on every point! I learned about the Fanatic from a Criags list post that has since ghosted me since I asked questions about the board -- They had a 7'8" Ripper regular board which is a little wider than the Ripper touring and has 3 fins vs. the single on the touring. He was asking $250 which I would take a gamble on. I started researching and saw the Ripper Air Touring has great dimensions for my intended use plus the ability to add a sail (perfect for June lake) and the storage in the front -- its just the $700+ price tag. For the Craigslist Ripper I would have been over the weight limit and wider and shorter not as good for the lake. I have not tried any inflatables (ever) and I just called around to some local shops and no one carries (or has even heard about kids SUPS) its too ocean surfing oriented here. I agree with you about the 4 vs 6 inches. When I'm in the ocean I actually appreciate being a bit lower in the water. I don't want to be so high that the wind is a constant struggle. Lower is better, keeps you tracking. I am curious why the shop discouraged you from the Ripper Tour board. If your just touring in a lake or stream I would think it would be idea. Do they think b/c its 4" instead of 6" it doesn't have enough float? 10 foot is certainly long enough. I do see that the other boards I linked above are all either 5 or 6 inches and have higher weight capacity. My only concern about the smaller inflatables would be that they were 'flimsy'... but that doesn't seem to be the issue any more. I will keep you posted if I get to try anything, and I'll check around the mt this weekend, but everything I have seen for rent is pretty big.....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Pequenita Was able to get on it yesterday morning, small surf, multiple directional wind bump and cross current but not much 'wind' at the time - 7'10" x 28 x 4. Yes its not as solid as my hard board (10x23x3) in the crap I was out in but it was pretty easy to adjust to and I did not have any issues with stability. DH was on the beach and said I looked like it was traveling similar pace to my hard board. So I think this will be perfect for the lakes!!! I do not know what the actual psi / inflation was as I am relying on the pump gauge and I'm not sure how accurate that is. I think b/c it is so short its pretty solid at what ever it psi was blown up to. Certainly higher inflation = stiffer, this can go up to 20 I was probably at a bout 12-14? I played around and deflated a bit and then used pump which has a double/ single feature. Seems like it will not be that hard to inflate b/c its so small. Did I mention how light weight this is? ;) I will need to test it out more but thinking maybe this was a better choice than the 10x26x4 version for a few reasons -- it fits in all our cars and my condo storage closet blown up, its the lightest they make and shorter board probably less issues in the wind. I will test it out in a few weeks in some of the easier lakes..... I'm not a fan of the paddle, but for hiking and small lakes it will be ok. Has a nice sized center fin that is easily removed. This all fits perfect in the back pack- should be about 20lb total. When I decide to deflate I will post the true combined weight. The only thing it is missing is storage on the front (but it has 2 tow rings) and I will need to get a coil leash.

1656950792493.jpeg

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@WaterGirl, how has the Fanatic worked out for you? I'm super torn about whether to get a jr racing board (10'6" x 23", single, longer) or more of an all-rounder (9'0" x 28", thrusters). Both are Starboards, which is a brand I've been following for a dozen years. The issue is that right now, the river is flowing pretty quick, and there are legit rapid-y things that require maneuverability - I was on a crazy wide but not long board (9' x 36") with thrusters yesterday and was super stable, but other friends on similar-sized boards fell when we went through choppier water. Semi-related - I moved fast through those rapids because I was barely displacing any water lol.

I think my dilemma might be one of those "I want to be paddling water that is ideal for the racing board, but my reality is that it'll be more all-rounder water" things...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly