• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW @MissySki this is a lot of board. You could fit 3 diva's on this and it wouldn't sink. :smile:
I have no knowledge of inflatables, so I have refrained from commenting. I am the anomaly, as posted above, I paddle a hybrid surfboard/soft top that 10 foot by 23 wide in the ocean for a distance work out not surfing. I don't like wider boards. I was following this thread as I have been looking for something I can keep in the mountains. I have debated a "wave storm" type board or an inflatable as I'm just playing around in the small lakes. I actually found a few kids inflatable SUPs on Amazon that might work for me in, I don't know how "sturdy" they will be but for around $300 it might be worth it ........

Jilly

Staff member
@WaterGirl - you'll find the inflatables are harder to move. I used one for a class outing and will never do it again. Yes it was stable, but moved like a pig.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Jilly I'll keep looking then for something solid, more about the touring for me and the one lake I would primarily access gets wind, I think the inflatable will be a struggle upwind vs a solid board. Which is why I actually like my lower volume board in the ocean. Just trying to figure out the float factor needed for freshwater, although I have a kids kayak at my moms that I can actually stand up and paddle around the lake on....

MissySki

Angel Diva
FWIW @MissySki this is a lot of board. You could fit 3 diva's on this and it wouldn't sink. :smile:
I have no knowledge of inflatables, so I have refrained from commenting. I am the anomaly, as posted above, I paddle a hybrid surfboard/soft top that 10 foot by 23 wide in the ocean for a distance work out not surfing. I don't like wider boards. I was following this thread as I have been looking for something I can keep in the mountains. I have debated a "wave storm" type board or an inflatable as I'm just playing around in the small lakes. I actually found a few kids inflatable SUPs on Amazon that might work for me in, I don't know how "sturdy" they will be but for around $300 it might be worth it ........

Haha this is probably true as it seems people being others onboard often. I didn’t think this was actually an anomaly for stand up paddleboards though, sizing wise? Perhaps for racers and longer distance travel, but for all around and yoga centric boards I thought 31-35 inches wide is pretty standard. I’m always interested in hearing others’ input though, and looks like I have time to spare before I can order anything anyway. So it’s good to have things to research more and think about.

@Jilly was the inflatable you tried in the past couple of years? I’m just curious because everything I’ve read seems to indicate that huge strides have been made in the market in recent years from where they were. The reviews are really fantastic on some of these newer boards, online but also by people I know personally. Of course I’m sure opinions will be vastly different depending on the desired use of the board. It does make me a little nervous since I haven’t been on an inflatable, but my rigid board isn’t any type of speed machine either so I’m not really looking for that.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki the specs on your KOMODO look pretty similar to my iRocker Cruiser that I've had for several years now. Mine has a few extra pounds on yours.

I really enjoy mine. I think if I was paddling super often I'd prefer a hard SUP but since I only bust it out 5-10 times a season, I don't mind pumping it up and it travels on camping trips pretty well on my hitch rack. I don't have much experience with other SUPs to compare it to, and I'm sure it is a pig, but I really don't mind it and I have no problem moving it at a decent clip. I pretty frequently take both my kids out on it and it is super stable so I love it for that, my kids can jump off of it, walk past me while I'm paddling if they decide they want to be somewhere else, or dig for snacks and water bottles in my drybag if necessary. I've never fallen off of it, and I've paddled it (with kids) in some heavy headwinds and over big wind chop on occasion. Pumping it up can be a workout, but the pump that came with mine is pretty great and anyway I just consider it a shoulder warmup for paddling.

Let me know if you have any questions about an inflatable, I'm happy to answer!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn’t think this was actually an anomaly for stand up paddleboards though, sizing wise? Perhaps for racers and longer distance travel, but for all around and yoga centric boards I thought 31-35 inches wide is pretty standard. I’m always interested in hearing others’ input though, and looks like I have time to spare before I can order anything anyway. So it’s good to have things to research more and think about.

There is so much history to this sport and its certainly morphed into a platform for many things- first as a workout, then surfing, racing, fishing, yoga etc. The first boards were similar to what I ride - a just a longer slightly wider surf board. But not everyone is Laird, so for the masses the boards were fattened up. A lot. Mostly b/c men proportionally have a harder time of staying balanced on a board b/c their weight is in their upper body. Then surfers shortened and streamlined the shape. Racers elongated and narrowed. I guess for yoga they were thicker and wider to give a more stable platform. I have many opinions about this 'sport.' But I will say, if you want a paddle work out that doesn't strain your back go narrower and lower volume. I can not tell you what a work out it is to stay upright on my smaller board going up wind fighting ocean current and swell. Balance? check. Core? check. Using every muscle in my body? check. For the added challenge, we go at night where you have to rely on your other senses. If you are truly paddling, there is no reason to be on a fat board as it will cause you to have improper form, which leads to twisting and bending to the side. See my prior post #133.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I sold my board today, yay! I listed it for $200 more and then ended up settling for $100 more than I bought it for originally years ago, so I’m very pleased. I’m so glad I saw that other board sell last week, otherwise I would have listed it for several hundred less than I did. I had no idea I could get so much when I started thinking of selling and getting a new one. Now I need to get a board ordered for myself asap before things sell out as they seem to be doing steadily.

I’m strangely relieved. I had worried I’d be sad when it came down to actually handing it over because I tend to get attached to some inanimate objects. I always feel a bit sad when I sell skis or trade in a car for example. Well, I haven’t used my paddleboard for awhile and having to transport it to the public meetup location I chose was enough of a reminder of why I don’t want another rigid board!! Lol It was good riddance and onto the next (more convenient) adventure!

Jilly

Staff member
I was looking on several sites I know of here in Canada for my trainer. She has an inflatable, and needs an electric pump. So many places are out of boards and pumps.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Indeed! Gili emailed me and said I might want to secure a board with different paddle than I wanted because their boards are selling like hot cakes and may sell out before they get the carbon paddles back in stock.. So I think I just need to pull the trigger on something and adjust later.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I must say, I really am liking my interactions with Gili as a company, so far. I called them today to further discuss the board that is currently out of stock and another to compare and see if I might want to switch to that one. Which is still on the table.. I got to speak to the same person I spoke to last time and she was able to compare and contrast her experience on each board for me in different waterways and situations. Also just her comfort level based on her size and needs in a board. It was so pleasant, like a conversation with a friend! She pretty much made more of a case with my likely wanting to stick to the Komodo I've been interested in versus going a little higher priced with the one currently in stock to a very similar board that has additional components I probably don't really need. She also told me to call her Saturday if nothing is updated on the site by then so she can try and get me the latest information on when things might at least be available for pre-order with the Komodo/paddle option I wanted. It would have been super easy for her to sway me to the higher priced item with our conversation today, and I appreciate that that wasn't her goal at all.

elemmac

Angel Diva
An advertisement popped up on my Facebook feed this morning, High Society Freeride Company is offering a buy one get one free deal on SUPs. Their boards seem a bit pricey (but very reasonable at half price). But I'm not really sure on the extent of pricing as I've never looked into buying one outside of brief browsing when I saw this thread (which probably ties into my Facebook Feed's ads). Place an order with any two boards, enter 2021SUP into the discount code, and one of them is free.

I'm not looking, but thought I'd share for anyone else that is.

MissySki

Angel Diva
An advertisement popped up on my Facebook feed this morning, High Society Freeride Company is offering a buy one get one free deal on SUPs. Their boards seem a bit pricey (but very reasonable at half price). But I'm not really sure on the extent of pricing as I've never looked into buying one outside of brief browsing when I saw this thread (which probably ties into my Facebook Feed's ads). Place an order with any two boards, enter 2021SUP into the discount code, and one of them is free.

I'm not looking, but thought I'd share for anyone else that is.

I hate how everything I look at elsewhere on the internet ends up on my newsfeed! lol

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I bit the bullet and made a decision today. After reading/watching endless reviews I went with the Gili Meno.. which is even wider than the Komodo I was originally looking at lol. It has carbon rails that add rigidity which I like the idea of and comes with better quality accessories and extra fin options for various waterways. I’ll surely report back once I get it and go out. I think it’ll be everything (and more) that I personally need for my purposes. I’m not really trying to race or get a workout here, it’s all about exploring/floating/yoga/hanging with friends/relaxing/seeing cool birds and nature/having some drinks and a picnic lunch/beaching myself on an island away from beach crowds/etc. type of activities. I’d describe myself as a lazy paddler. I figure if I get that into it that I desire a more performance oriented board someday then I can just get one in the future to add on. I just tend to doubt it given my paddle desires and history. Super excited to have a new vessel that’s super convenient to get onto the water soon and I’m actively recruiting paddle friends. :bounce:

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I bit the bullet and made a decision today. After reading/watching endless reviews I went with the Gili Meno.. which is even wider than the Komodo I was originally looking at lol. It has carbon rails that add rigidity which I like the idea of and comes with better quality accessories and extra fin options for various waterways. I’ll surely report back once I get it and go out. I think it’ll be everything (and more) that I personally need for my purposes. I’m not really trying to race or get a workout here, it’s all about exploring/floating/yoga/hanging with friends/relaxing/seeing cool birds and nature/having some drinks and a picnic lunch/beaching myself on an island away from beach crowds/etc. type of activities. I’d describe myself as a lazy paddler. I figure if I get that into it that I desire a more performance oriented board someday then I can just get one in the future to add on. I just tend to doubt it given my paddle desires and history. Super excited to have a new vessel that’s super convenient to get onto the water soon and I’m actively recruiting paddle friends. :bounce:

I was just looking at your new board and that's nice the carbon rails seem to be built in? That's the one thing that is kind of a PITA with my Red Paddle board... the rails/battens are sort of hard to slide in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna