• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you look at my thread about flatwater kayaking, you will see that I tried a Stand Up Paddle board last weekend. The water was 'almost' 70 degrees and I fell in twice, but had fun. I enjoyed myself so much that I keep thinking about getting one. Kayaking is one thing, this is quite different.

Anyone else try this before?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went back to demo the stand up paddle board (SUP) again. I'm trying to decide between three different SUPs in two different styles.

1. Liquid Logic VersaBoard. This is a rotomolded (plastic) SUP that can be used as a sit on top kayak as well. It's possible to take a child or a dog with me on the board. It's capable of Class II whitewater. It weights 50#+. It's super stable, so I found myself working on the paddling more than balancing.

2. Surftech 11'6" SUP. It's an epoxy-over-foam board that only weighs 30#. Built for flatwater and ocean waves, it's too fragile to do anything with rocks in it. It requires a balance and concentration. I don't see compatibility with a Golden Retriever.

3. On the shorter version (10'6") of this SUP, I was working more on balance than anything. I felt muscles working in my legs, my feet, and my core just to stay standing. Didn't fall, though.

If I have a kayak and a SUP, will that make a quiver? I've always wanted a quiver.

Decisions, decisions.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I have a kayak and a SUP, will that make a quiver? I've always wanted a quiver.
naw, two "boats" don't make a quiver (from a gal who owns 7...plus 2 on loan :bag:)...(but if you want a quiver, I do have a couple of boats for sale :eyebrows:)

Sit-on-top kayaks are getting respect again for whitewater - if it were me, I might go for the Liquid Logic (which sounds like the most versitle & easiest to learn on), with the awareness that you may want to upgrade if you really get into stand-up paddle boarding (or whitewater kayaking, for that matter!)

P.S. a fun link on the Liquid Logic board: https://shanesliquidlogic.blogspot.com/2010/04/we-have-had-versa-board-in-production.html

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that video after I demo'd the VersaBoard. I might need a few more days to practice before I do that. :wink:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been looking into info about SUP's because my sister in FL, who has a regular surfboard but doesn't use it that much, has talked about using it as a SUP. I was going to buy her a SUP paddle, but brother-in-law said it won't work that way..the surfboard is much different that a SUP...much narrower, won't provide the necessary balance/support to use it as a SUP. I know the SUPs are much wider and flatter.

Anyone ever use a regular surfboard as a SUP? thx

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Liquid Logic VersaBoard 3 weeks ago. I have been on quiet lakes and some moving water. While standing, I cannot keep up with people in touring kayaks, but I can keep up with my friends who have 10' play kayaks. In faster water with riffles, I have to sit down to paddle because my balance needs work. I want a backrest for the seat.

My Golden Retriever is riding in the bow of the SUP, but I think the deck is too slippery for him. I'm going to put a non-skid bath rug on the bow to see if it makes him happier. Photos soon.

Kiragirl, I'm not a surfer.

If your sister can stand up and paddle, then it can be used as a SUP, whether your BIL likes it or not, right?

The key to anything that floats is displacement, which equates to volume. The more water is displaced, the more stable it becomes. It can be wider or longer. You need a longer board in rougher waters, too. The rocker (curve from nose to tail) plays a role in stability as well. Low Rocker is better for a SUP.

I liked a SUP that was 11'6" and 32" wide. A Rubicon SUP that was 12' and 30" wide was waaay too unstable for me. It just depends on the rails, the rocker, experience, and lots of other factors.

You are also more stable while moving than just standing still. Compare it to a bicycle. While some can balance standing still for a long time on two wheels, it is much easier to balance on a bike when you are moving.

Get her a SUP paddle and see if it works. If not, return the paddle. As long as it is in resale condition, I don't think it would be a problem. OR have her try a boat oar that is about 10" longer than she is tall. It won't be as efficient, but it can give her the feel of her board as SUP. If she likes the SUP sport, I know what she can ask Santa for.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks for the info, good ideas! The store salesman also said she could try with a kayak paddle to see how it works.

post pix with your pooch paddling!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I promised a video of my Golden Retriever on the standup paddleboard. I had hoped to get it sooner, but I have been on the disabled list, due to some biceptual tendinitis (from paddling too much). I'm much better now, so we went to the lake for the video this evening.

Baxter is my 5 year old, unaltered, exuberant male. He was absolutely fascinated by the moving water and kept lapping at the water. He hasn't gotten sick yet (fingers crossed). At one point, a family and their 2 retrievers came to the lake. Baxter wanted to jump off the board and go play with the dogs, never mind that were half a mile out. This created quite a challenge as he paced from one end of the board to the other, barking furiously for the guys to come play with him. He finally settled down before we both fell in.

IMG_5513.jpg

[YOUTUBE]D2vjeMsg5pA[/YOUTUBE]

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
saw 3 guys on SUP's running the Mongaup river (class II/III) this past sunday...quite a sight! (and yes, saw a couple of them swim too!)

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awesome dog! looks like fun, maybe I should try it this weekend.

altagirl

Staff member
I've been thinking about trying that too. Looks pretty fun. And I never even thought about being able to put one of the dogs on the board with me.... hmmmm...

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was at IMLP this year there was a guy on a standup paddleboard with his bulldog just chilling on the front of it, it was super cute!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awesome dog! looks like fun, maybe I should try it this weekend.

How far are you from Saratoga Springs? Why not come up on Saturday - it's supposed to be beautiful. I know lots of great flatwater spots now, or we can head out to the river for some real fun. Lake George Kayak also rents Surftech boards by the hour or by the day.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
2ski2moro, I had origanally planned on getting a C4 but then after reading your post I realized that maybe the Versa board would be a better idea for me. I have paddle the C4 quite a bit and played on a few other performance boards but now you've got me thinking that Icould take my big mutts with me too! I'm wondering if I put a thin foam yoga mat down if that would help them grip and be more comfortable for them. Brandy-bear (chow-golden retriever mix)is 35lbs and Teddy-bear ( chow-black lab mix) is 80lbs. Both ride in the rec boats pretty comfortably but obviously they won't fit in any of my touring boats. How long do you go out for with you dog before he gets restless? I'm thinking the LL Versa Board is goingto be a little more durable for dragging back and forth over the seawall too. Also have you ever had occasion to use the drop down skeg, if so did it make a big difference in the way the board handled?

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Mtngirl that look like you had an outstanding day! Beautiful scenery and weather! I sell kayaks and I am extremely comfortable with them unfortunatley they become as big a quiver issue as skis! LOL! I'm hoping the SUP will only require one to keep me happy! LOL!

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
that was on our Salmon River trip.. its a summer tradition, 5 days on the river... HEAVEN!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2ski2moro, I had origanally planned on getting a C4 but then after reading your post I realized that maybe the Versa board would be a better idea for me. I have paddle the C4 quite a bit and played on a few other performance boards but now you've got me thinking that Icould take my big mutts with me too! I'm wondering if I put a thin foam yoga mat down if that would help them grip and be more comfortable for them. Brandy-bear (chow-golden retriever mix)is 35lbs and Teddy-bear ( chow-black lab mix) is 80lbs. Both ride in the rec boats pretty comfortably but obviously they won't fit in any of my touring boats. How long do you go out for with you dog before he gets restless? I'm thinking the LL Versa Board is goingto be a little more durable for dragging back and forth over the seawall too. Also have you ever had occasion to use the drop down skeg, if so did it make a big difference in the way the board handled?

I have a Golden Retriever - he was born restless. He settles down after 3-5 minutes and just watches the water. Sometimes, he just puts his head down and laps at the water. The longest we have been out is one hour before we reached an island for him to explore, and the hour back. He will do anything for a treat, so it isn't an issue.

As for the pads - I used a rubber-backed bath rug because I had one and it doesn't slip. I saw some interlocking rubber mats at Sams Club. The rubber interlocks like jigsaw puzzle pieces. They are used for people who stand for a long time, but I think they have a place in my kayak world. How would you hold them on the boat?

As for the skeg, it works, but it is not necessary. I imagine you have a good J-stroke and you can modify that technique to keep your board going straight. I have also tried the skeg when I sit to paddle. Meh, I don't have a skeg on my kayak and I do ok.

BTW, I bought the standard seat when the end of season sale was
in progress. I don't recommend the wheel. I think it should be redesigned. If I am by myself, I can use a kayak cart if I don't want to drag it.

I love ski season, but when the snow is gone, I can't wait to get back on the water.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
After about 10 hours total demoing boards on Mirror Lake in Lake Placid, I took the plunge and bought an SUP from EMS in Lake Placid. I got a Surftech softtop...it's 9'5" and 32" wide, with 3 fins and not much rocker. Despite its shorter length, it's pretty stable, and I found that falling off and getting back on again did a lot of relax me (as well as cooled me off)!

I can't motor as fast as the 12' boards, but mine is very maneuverable....I was having fun doing slalom turns around the buoys in the swim lane in the middle of the lake!

Also, this board is so light...22 pounds! I definitely wanted something that I could easily load onto my roof rack by myself.

2ski2moro, I saw, but did not paddle, the LL board that you have. It looks VERY nice and VERY versatile. If I had a large dog as a paddling companion, that would be the boat to get. Also, that board looks like it would be very fun (and durable) to take on rivers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly