• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

Jilly

Staff member
Me too, but if we lived in a coastal area with the ocean, I can see it. I was the first person on the lake with one. Everyone wanted to try it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love doing things at ski resorts in the summer.

Yes, but - brrrr! I get cold easily, so maybe that's it. I was happy to be at a lower-altitude reservoir (air temps in the 80s - I would have preferred 90s) rather than in the mountains (temps in the 60s-70s).

Although, it occurs to me I have no idea what mountain temps look like in your area.

Jilly

Staff member
HOT! Tremblant is about the same as home here. Today +25C, with a humidex to 30C. In fact we might be a little cooler as Lake Ontario tends to have a moderating effect. So summer is summer. Now fall, things get cooler sooner.

altagirl

Staff member
Yes, but - brrrr! I get cold easily, so maybe that's it. I was happy to be at a lower-altitude reservoir (air temps in the 80s - I would have preferred 90s) rather than in the mountains (temps in the 60s-70s).

Although, it occurs to me I have no idea what mountain temps look like in your area.

The pics are from Willow Creek Reservoir this past weekend (8100') My local non motorized reservoir is roughly the same.
The water is kind of cold, but I wear neoprene pants unless it's extra hot and feel fine even sitting with my legs dangling in the water.

I think, like most sports, it's largely a matter of dressing appropriately.

It can be warm but its usually cooler than it is here in CT. I don't find Vermont as sticky humid as it is here and I often escape there to get away from the stagnant heat of CT. That said there were times last year that it was humid but it never seems to be as bad. Going to the mountains in the summer just make me happy.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have resisted posting here as, well, I'm a SURFER, not a SUPer
however, I do SUP in the ocean when its flat b/c I'm board or on full moons in crazy high tide and surf - either solo or with a few crazy friends ;)

That being said, there is a vast difference in boards, and I just want to share that wide boards create issues.
Please see images below... if you are really paddling long distance, @vanhoskier longer narrow board is the best.
My SUP is an old soft top, its 23 inches wide and 10 foot long. Im 5'4" and its just right, even in the ocean w/ waves.
Boards that are 30+ may be great for yoga and for floating you your first time, but for serious paddling it can tweak your back. Do not be come this guy -- the reach and twist is no good

View attachment 5741

WRONG

This GIRL IS ALSO WRONG -

View attachment 5743
View attachment 5742

RIGHT

Hold your core in and stand up straight, if you lean and twist, thats a problem.
Just sharing
Just saw a pix of me on an SUP in Kauai. Hmm look like a combination of both "wrongs."

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also have SUP'ed at Lake Tahoe in the summers (with better form).... No wetsuit - good thing I didn't fall! That water is ICE cold!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's like there needs to be a different name for what I'm doing. SUP in the places I go.... there is definitely no such thing as a lineup.

You're legit. Lineups only happen if you're SUP surfing/in the ocean, I think, so there's definitely an etiquette with that.

Also, water bodies with actual traffic patterns should be followed.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose I've never watched a river race, I see they are in "surfer stance"

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HA! thanks @santacruz skier
I think maybe @bounceswoosh means for the SUP's!?!
I have no problem telling someone to get out. now.
actually its much too small for me to be in that line up LOL!
again, I tried not to post here b/c I have been dealing w/ this for a long time
kind of like some of the "my skis are too fat" problems..... I could go on and on.

However, flat water - super fun, do it at my moms, float down miles of creeks that connect to small private lakes

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumping this thread because I've been toying with the idea of an iSUP for a while. Does anyone use an inflatable and have recommendations? I would want something stable, because I have little kids so they might ride on the back. And I'm locked into inflatable because we have a roof box on our car and don't have the space to store or transport a rigid. I probably wouldn't use it every weekend but occasionally for camping trips to lakes and stuff like that.

Jilly

Staff member
I found the inflatables were like trying to move an old heavy boat. They aren't heavy, in fact very light, but the shape makes them plow in the water. My rigid skims the top of the water. But if storage, transportation is an issue, then inflatable is the way to go. Maybe different models are better.

Also even though you've paddle a canoe forever, take a quick lesson. I've been paddling canoes all my life and regularly dragon boat, but I could not keep the SUP straight without doing a J stroke. A lesson taught me a different way to keep things straight. (I can only paddle on one side because of rotator cuff issues.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna