• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:confused::eek:
Oh no! What happened? You okay? Thinking of you, friend.

MSL - she had a bike crash - broken ribs!

I'm going to have to go to Clear Water again and take a look at those. Think it might be good cross training for DB paddling. They had some "comestic" specials last time I was over there.
What she said!!
Bike crash on July 24th,
Broken clavicle and 11 breaks in 8 ribs.

My general rule of healing at this moment is.......If it looks like fun, don't do it!

But still, back to the original topic. I'm going to SUP next summer!!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Healing wishes for you, Snowhot! :hug:

I got to go paddle boarding in the ocean at Block Island this past week....that was great fun! I liked the extra challenge of balancing on ocean swells. When the high-speed ferry came in, it created huge swells that made things quite interesting!

The water was very clear and beautiful, but a bit cold, so I didn't want to fall in! Normally I'll screw around on the board, not caring if I fall in. This time, the nippy water temperatures gave me pause. :smile:

As a former white water kayaker, the paddle strokes I learned for my kayak apply to paddle boarding as well, which is awesome. I like paddle boarding better than kayaking - standing up suits my body better and I love the balance aspect that's involved. However, I will never do white water on an SUP, although people do it. That just looks like an injury waiting to happen!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope those bones mend quickly, SH.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Healing wishes for you, Snowhot! :hug:

I got to go paddle boarding in the ocean at Block Island this past week....that was great fun! I liked the extra challenge of balancing on ocean swells. When the high-speed ferry came in, it created huge swells that made things quite interesting!

The water was very clear and beautiful, but a bit cold, so I didn't want to fall in! Normally I'll screw around on the board, not caring if I fall in. This time, the nippy water temperatures gave me pause. :smile:

As a former white water kayaker, the paddle strokes I learned for my kayak apply to paddle boarding as well, which is awesome. I like paddle boarding better than kayaking - standing up suits my body better and I love the balance aspect that's involved. However, I will never do white water on an SUP, although people do it. That just looks like an injury waiting to happen!

I heard that SUP is a good cross training tool for skiing because it makes you balance and you'll find neutral easier on skis once you are more balanced in general.

Makes sense to me.:no idea:

As for the healing bones....its going slower than I'd like but quicker than the doctor expected.
Actually she thought I wasn't healing well at all then about 2 weeks ago, it was like my body kicked into healing supercharger.

Thanks for the wishes. Now lets plan a SUP GTG for next summer!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh, I'm late to this party!

I tried SUP for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. But, a few questions: how do you stay hydrated? Hydration belt? And I got a hole in my hand from paddling. The best part about it was trying to surf (pretty windy that day, and lots of motorboats on the water). The worst part was going into the headwind and feeling like I was not going anywhere.

Anyway, I blogged about my experience if anyone's interested. :smile:

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well, I'm joining the ranks of diva sup-ers...just bought a cross-over board/sot kayak to start with (Ocean Kayak Nalu 12.5), and have been shakily puttering about (hope this will be a good platform for rescue work on the Delaware - sot kayaks seem to work particularly well for that)...fun working on something new :becky:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bring the SUP if you get up this way, we'll play.

Jilly

Staff member
I love my SUP! Now I want a better one. And for interest, has anyone tried the Kaya-kit that changes your old windsurfer into SOT kayak? I'm thinking that DH would use it, but he's NOT going to sit in a kayak for sure.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(sigh) I love my SUP, love getting out on it...only problem is...

...I'm already out-growing the board I got! (skill wise) :eek: not to say what I bought doesn't still have a place in my fleet" (it is absolutely a great vehicle for river patrol), but I want something now that I can grow further on...(sigh) I need to win the lottery or marry someone rich I think (or maybe just get a better paying job!)

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Ha! You got bitten by the bug, WW girl! The SUP you got is perfect for river patrol...you need the stability for rescue situations. As for a better board, look for a narrower board, with a displacement bow. Fast and tippier. You can find used ones on Distressedmullet.com.

I have a tippy race board. Fast and fun! I've gotten so bitten by the race bug this summer and plan in many more races next spring/summer. But for open water, my board is too tippy! I need a more stable race board for Long Island Sound, NJ, Cape Cod, etc. I'm hoping to do a race in Tahoe next June and one in CA next September (crossing fingers).

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I am suuuuper late to this party, but I'll be trying out stand up paddleboarding for the first time this Saturday and I'm very excited! :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
you'll have a blast!...

Thanks, I hope so!

A coworker and I are going to do the EMS intro course since we don't know anyone locally who does it and feel better having some instruction to get started. However, we are getting some jokesters at work making fun of us since we want to do the lesson haha.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Thanks, I hope so!

A coworker and I are going to do the EMS intro course since we don't know anyone locally who does it and feel better having some instruction to get started. However, we are getting some jokesters at work making fun of us since we want to do the lesson haha.
Very wise to get instruction...it's important to learn the proper paddle stroke to get the most out of the experience....a better workout and faster paddling = more fun! I see some people out there who obviously were never taught, and their paddle stroke is depriving them of fun and the best workout. I took my first lesson at EMS and it was very good. The instructor also taught me how to do pivot turns on the stern...very fun!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Very wise to get instruction...it's important to learn the proper paddle stroke to get the most out of the experience....a better workout and faster paddling = more fun! I see some people out there who obviously were never taught, and their paddle stroke is depriving them of fun and the best workout. I took my first lesson at EMS and it was very good. The instructor also taught me how to do pivot turns on the stern...very fun!

Yeah I learned during our diva kayak adventure last summer how important proper technique is! My poor arms were quite unhappy until you demonstrated how to paddle using your core rather than just arms. :smile: Much better after that!

These things just do not come intuitively to me like they do for some I guess. :noidea:

Can't wait! It will at least will give me a focus for the time being to take my mind off of how badly I want to ski already haha.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Had a great time in my SUP lesson today, and cannot wait to go again so I guess it was a success. Now I'm just sorry I waited so long to try it, I wish I had done it right at the beginning of the summer so I could do it a bunch more this year. I will be trying to go do some kind of beginner tour or something to get out another time this month if possible.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I love my SUP! Permagrin is another Diva that has one or maybe two!

Permagrin? Where's she been? I got to share a few dinners with her at PSIA's National Academy...and she injured her knee there! :-(

I have a quiver of paddle boards...a 12.5' and a 14' board. :-0 For me, it's as addicting as skiing. Racing them is really fun; now I want to do a long endurance event.

We should have a summer diva SUP event!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna