• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

Jilly

Staff member
I just looked at these a couple of weeks ago. We have a manufacturer - Clear Water Designs about 1/2 hour away. But decided I needed my new glasses first. I do have a kayak, canoe and paddleboat. So the water is covered. But a SUP looked really neat. I can buy direct from the factory so the price is really good. Once I get the specs, then we'll see.....

Christy

Angel Diva
Never noticed this thread until now. But, I sure have noticed SUPs this year! If I'm seeing water (and there's a lot of water around here), I see people on SUPs. So what's the attraction? Why would you do this instead of kayak?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! I have demo'd that board and I like it a lot, too.

For the last two weekends, a friend has borrowed my SUP when we go kayaking. He is not a small man - at least 6'3" and 250# - and he kayaks with both of his Australian Shephards. Mostly he is sitting to paddle, but occasionally he is standing.

We went out today to Pack Forest Lake near Warrensburg, NY. The water was so warm and the weather was perfect. We were using the SUP as a diving platform in the middle of the lake.

Have fun!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Board and owner are making their way "east" and will be here over the weekend. :becky::clap: So it will be in our local lake for the rest of the crew in attendance to try. Should be fun!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
So what's the attraction? Why would you do this instead of kayak?

It develops a great sense of balance. The stance you use on the board is like skiing, so it is a great summer exercise for skiing. But, it's also SO fun! I get a much better workout on my SUP than I did in my whitewater boats. If I get hot, I can just jump off and go for a swim and climb back on. Since I'm standing, I have a better vantage point to check out the surroundings. If I don't feel like standing, I can sit down, , kneel, or even lie on my stomach and paddle. It's incredibly versatile, and the boards are lighter than kayaks and easy to transport.

With practice, one can also do a lot of playing on the boards. Standing on the stern, you can pivot the board around, sort of like doing 180's or 360's on skis!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, like Vanhoskier said it's great for balance and versatile. It really works your core and leg muscles as well.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Here's Mr. Maine Ski Lady (aka Paper Tiger) trying out my paddleboard and having a blast!
IMG_1187-1.jpg

And here's me, Vanhoskier, cruising along on a beautiful lake in Maine:
IMG_1154.jpg

I love this board! It is SO fun!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It does look great. Maybe I'll try one out.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A few more pics of same, including some surrounding scenery:

vanhoskier
ry%3D400

Paper Tiger
ry%3D400

DS trying some surf moves (some funny videos in this venture!)
ry%3D400

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Did you know that he is holding the paddle upside down? The paddle goes into the water with the bend in the paddle pointing up. It gives you more power in the finish of the stroke.

Check out the video at https://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/paddleboarding.html

Who is "he?" On the Maine lake photos, that is a Werner paddle. I've used these paddles for several years; they design them with the logo on the outside of the blade. If turned the other way, the grip on top of the shaft (which is not symmetrical like some other SUP paddles) would be facing the wrong direction and it would be very uncomfortable, if not impossible, to hold and paddle. There's a slight bend in the shaft down near the blade that puts it in the water at the proper angle. I took lessons from a certified instructor with this paddle; the folks in the photos were using it correctly.:smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, the second guy pictured isn't paddling at all! :smile: He's having fun pretending it's a stationary surfboard and heading for the nose. Was first time for both just getting aboard, no claim to expertise there. (And there were some hilarious fall-offs, especially when boat wake was encountered.)

abc

Banned
With practice, one can also do a lot of playing on the boards. Standing on the stern, you can pivot the board around, sort of like doing 180's or 360's on skis!
I heard the same talk from other class IV folks: "after getting bored with class IV, change it up with SUP"!

Me? I think I'll stick with doing those in my play boat. Still learning to get vertical...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's Mr. Maine Ski Lady (aka Paper Tiger) trying out my paddleboard and having a blast!
IMG_1187-1.jpg

And here's me, Vanhoskier, cruising along on a beautiful lake in Maine:
IMG_1154.jpg

I love this board! It is SO fun!
My summer job is working at a ski shop that sells Paddle boards, and I was going to take lessons from the owner (Bud Heishman) when I got back from visiting family in Michigan. However, my injuries have sidelined me for anything like this until next summer.

Now I'm envious of you. That looks like so much fun!!!!
Go get 'em!!!

Jilly

Staff member
MSL - she had a bike crash - broken ribs!

I'm going to have to go to Clear Water again and take a look at those. Think it might be good cross training for DB paddling. They had some "comestic" specials last time I was over there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna