• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stand Up Paddle Board

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an Onyx inflatable belt for my PFD. That meets the requirements here in PA. We just have to have a USCG approved PFD on board the "boat" for each person. We're not required to wear it, but I always wear mine b/c low-profile. When I rented I always wore a full vest, but it got really warm at times wearing a full vest, which is why I opted for a belt when I bought my own.

Jilly

Staff member
This is the one I have, but in yellow.

Attachments

• 5024489-PNK28.jpg
    5024489-PNK28.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 3

Jilly

Staff member
I have an Onyx inflatable belt for my PFD. That meets the requirements here in PA. We just have to have a USCG approved PFD on board the "boat" for each person. We're not required to wear it, but I always wear mine b/c low-profile. When I rented I always wore a full vest, but it got really warm at times wearing a full vest, which is why I opted for a belt when I bought my own.

I have that one for crew racing. Chances are a lot slimmer that we're going to roll a dragon boat with the crew I'm on now. I thought there was a change in the Canadian Coast Guard that inflatables had to inflate when they were submerged. But a year ago I couldn't find the legal requirement. So, we are allowed the Onyx or any other type like it.

But like I said before, you could do something to yourself on the way down and not be able to pull the cord. I don't mind it for racing, as there is always a safety boat, but not on my SUP. I'm usually out with myself only. Also the paddling style of jacket is much better than the standard jacket.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I also just remembered another reason why I'm not in love with my PFD - it isn't as comfortable because of the high-back seat on the kayak. Obviously not an issue for SUP.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another SUP newbie here. I’d been tempted by this for a long time and finally managed to give it a go last weekend. I was ridiculously nervous at the beginning! Ridiculous because I was on a lake that I had already been swimming in and it was 35 degrees Celsius so it wasn’t as if it was going to be cold if I fell in and I’m a good enough swimmer. I didn’t fall in anyway and managed to more or less get the hang of it. Good fun! I’ll certainly try it again. Moving to Ireland soon and I’ll keep an eye out for it there. I’m sure you could SUP on the east coast but it will probably feel like a less brilliant idea when I get there and remember how chilly it is.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m thinking of selling my hard SUP and getting an inflatable. I find that I just don’t feel like transporting the hard one that much, and now that I’ll be spending more time in Maine it’d also make sense to have an inflatable for storage when there as well. I don’t really know anything about inflatables though, does anyone have any recommendations of good brands/boards? I want an all around type of board that is good for exploring lakes/tributaries/etc. and yoga. I like the option to also go into very calm ocean on occasion. I don’t need something super speedy or race worthy and I’m unlikely to venture into whitewater situations.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
I have 2 inflatables. The second I bought a cheap used one for guests to use... turns out I like it just as well as my more expensive one. I think as long as it has tiedowns for whatever you may need and is a reasonable size... I have not heard any of my friends complain about buying whatever is in the local rental feet for our general purpose paddling around. That includes some easier river paddling but mostly reservoir flat water mellow stuff.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have 2 inflatables. The second I bought a cheap used one for guests to use... turns out I like it just as well as my more expensive one. I think as long as it has tiedowns for whatever you may need and is a reasonable size... I have not heard any of my friends complain about buying whatever is in the local rental feet for our general purpose paddling around. That includes some easier river paddling but mostly reservoir flat water mellow stuff.

What brands are yours?

I somehow got sucked into looking at the Earthriver Skylake 10-7 S3, so I'm trying to find others to compare with haha.

https://www.earthriversup.com/boards/ers-skylake-10-7-magenta/

It's sold out currently, but I spoke with the company that sells them and I can put a deposit and get one in a few weeks if I chose to.

I've been thinking about going inflatable for awhile now, and it makes even more sense with the idea of wanting to paddle in ME too where I have no room for an almost 11 foot rigid board like I do at home. I also plan to get an SUV at some point for my next car and I already struggle to get the rigid one on top of my sedan by myself.. Then I happened to see a board very similar to mine for sale on Facebook Marketplace this past weekend. It was going for more money than I paid for mine as a used demo fleet board 5 years ago and it also had a big gash in it that needs repair! I was thinking the person was crazy and no way it would sell anywhere close to asking price, but I reached out and asked him to let me know what it sold for. Well, it sold in 1 day for the price I paid for mine years ago ($100 cheaper than the original listing on Facebook) due to the gash without any repair. Mine is in near perfect condition, so I'm thinking I can definitely get more for it than I had originally anticipated. At least what I paid for it and maybe even a couple of hundred more due to current demand and low stock. Of course that also made me go ohhhh look at these more expensive inflatables I hadn't thought about originally! lol In reality, I really don't need anything too fancy but I do appreciate good quality and craftsmanship.

altagirl

Staff member
My original one was this: Dakota 4" Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard | davescaddensports (davescaddenpaddlesports.com)

I was like hey - local company, I'll try that.

Second one I was like GAH, family trip to Lake Powell and it was cheaper to buy a used board from our local rental place down the street than rent one for even 3 days at Lake Powell. Insanity! I could barely tell that it was used and I think it was $299 or something like that. It's bulkier - so a little easier to balance, but not as sleek. But for my purposes (and especially guest purposes)... turns out to be just fine.

That one is an older model of the Stage S10:

SUP Boards – AJ Motion Sports

I do like having the tiedowns available. That might not be ideal for yoga, but when we go out on "girls night" paddles after work in the summer, we tend to bring snacks/drinks/a little waterproof radio and paddle out, sit and chat for a bit and paddle back as the sun is going down. The tiedowns are also very handy if you're ever taking a dog with you and want to leash its life vest to the board. Usually not necessary, but I do like to do that when I'm getting out at a busy ramp - I just clip their bungee leash to the board D-rings.

altagirl

Staff member
I was just looking at the Earthriver - which sounds lovely, but I'm guessing is just more than I'd need? I admit, that I tend to think I need fancy gear for everything, and when I first started paddleboarding thought I'd want to "progress" like most other sports.... and it's actually turned into one of those nice relaxing activities that I go out and do to chill and get a mellow workout with friends and it turns out that any performance aspect is pretty much lost on me. I mean, yes - I want it durable, and to have some basic features and.... that's about it. Which doesn't lend itself to much of an equipment review BUT - sometimes it's good to know that depending on your usage you can get away with less. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was just looking at the Earthriver - which sounds lovely, but I'm guessing is just more than I'd need? I admit, that I tend to think I need fancy gear for everything, and when I first started paddleboarding thought I'd want to "progress" like most other sports.... and it's actually turned into one of those nice relaxing activities that I go out and do to chill and get a mellow workout with friends and it turns out that any performance aspect is pretty much lost on me. I mean, yes - I want it durable, and to have some basic features and.... that's about it. Which doesn't lend itself to much of an equipment review BUT - sometimes it's good to know that depending on your usage you can get away with less. :smile:

Yeah, I actually do appreciate that perspective a lot. I feel the same way with paddling that it's a fun time with friends and lets me do a bunch of exploring etc. I also think it'd be fun to do more yoga on the water since I'm into yoga a lot more now than I was when I first got a board too. Do I need something very fancy or performance oriented to do that though? Not really. It IS hard to get out of the mindset of always wanting higher end gear! I want a good quality board, but that doesn't necessarily need to equal super expensive and high performance.. which is another reason I'm trying to ask for other women's experience with inflatable board brands before I buy.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So my top contender right now is the Gili Komodo. It gets fantastic reviews, I love the company’s mission, and there are a ton of really cool accessories you can get with this board. There’s a kayak conversion kit (seat and paddle), anchor, cup holder, etc which are all things I’ve wished I had on my SUP at times in the past depending on the adventure of the day. Anyone have experience with this brand?

I’m hoping to dig out my board today to get some pictures and put it up for sale. Still debating on the starting price to go with though..

Jilly

Staff member
Good boards, like bikes, are hard to come by here in Ontario. So you might be able to put a good price on it. And right now in cottage country north of Toronto they are stealing kayaks, canoes and SUPs.

My paddling coach has moved to San Diego and has an inflatable. I'll see if I can find out from her what she bought.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Good boards, like bikes, are hard to come by here in Ontario. So you might be able to put a good price on it. And right now in cottage country north of Toronto they are stealing kayaks, canoes and SUPs.

I know PFDs are the same here and I’m sure kayaks and paddle boards are too. I had been looking for a new one, but was in no rush. Went to the store just before Memorial Day and picked out a top contender, but wanted to explore other options…barely two weeks later I can’t find it anywhere online, and the store stock has been completely picked through (80% of the vests are now XL/XXL). Finally settled on ordering two others to try on, keep whichever fits better and return the other (neither one was my first choice colors…but they had my size, so I placed the order anyways).

Jilly

Staff member
My paddling coach has moved to San Diego and has an inflatable. I'll see if I can find out from her what she bought.

Her board is hard, not an inflatable.

You have to remember that here in Ontario we are just coming out of lock down. Marina's have been open, but most canoes etc come from stores that were not selling essentials. You could order online and pick up. But if you can steal one, why do that. I used to lock my kayak with my ski lock in the summer. I sold it last year as I really wanted an OC-1. No one is going to steal that thing. It's too awkward to move and you need a special roof rack for it.

Just don't buy a SUP from Costco, Walmart or any other big box store. It won't stand up to abuse. So just like our skis, find that specialty place.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Her board is hard, not an inflatable.

You have to remember that here in Ontario we are just coming out of lock down. Marina's have been open, but most canoes etc come from stores that were not selling essentials. You could order online and pick up. But if you can steal one, why do that. I used to lock my kayak with my ski lock in the summer. I sold it last year as I really wanted an OC-1. No one is going to steal that thing. It's too awkward to move and you need a special roof rack for it.

Just don't buy a SUP from Costco, Walmart or any other big box store. It won't stand up to abuse. So just like our skis, find that specialty place.

Not what I’m looking for, but the Body Glove SUPs in Costco and BJs have been getting really good reviews for anyone on a real budget price point. I saw them recommended in a couple of the SUP Facebook groups I’ve joined, so I took a look.

Jilly

Staff member
They are really heavy to carry anywhere. But practically indestructible. I had a roto-mold as my first board. Then got a new board that only weights 28lbs. I can throw the thing up on the roof rack with no problem.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I listed my board for sale yesterday and have a few interested parties right now that I'm going back and forth with. We'll see if any end up actually buying.. :goodluck:

On the other hand, I had decided I was going to go ahead and order the Gili Komodo last night only to find out that it's currently out of stock. It was still in stock when I looked yesterday morning! :cry: I called them up today to inquire on whether it'd be back in stock this season and supposedly they "expect" to have what I want in stock by early July, but we'll see. They are still dealing with shipping issues from that big tanker that blocked the Suez Canal. Apparently those impacts that will be felt for a long time coming in supply chains.. The annoying part is that the board I want is in stock, but not with the paddle I want and they are sold as a package. The reason that specific paddle is important to me is that I want the kayak conversion kit and currently their conversion blade only works with the paddle that's out of stock. This is a carbon shaft with nylon blade.. I was just going to upgrade to the full carbon shaft/blade if I had to because it isn't a huge increase in price and that's still available, but given that I'm very much wanting to use the kayak conversion kit as well that doesn't work as things are currently configured. So I guess we wait and see now, and hope I don't sell my board only to be unable to get a new one.. which would be my luck exactly! lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna