• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Staffing at Ski Resorts: '21/'22

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC. I saw the pay bump news. I still think a buddy pass like the airlines do that the employee can share with a relative, friend, lover, spouse would go much further in attracting thebyoung seasonal that operate lifts, etc...

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet That is amazing! Here it is full time only and then only legal spouse or off spring under 18. Family is fluid and employees even more so when there is no hook to keep them in a place no matter how rough the living conditions may be.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet That is amazing! Here it is full time only and then only legal spouse or off spring under 18. Family is fluid and employees even more so when there is no hook to keep them in a place no matter how rough the living conditions may be.
They must have changed the rules while I was quarantining last season. The ski school is understaffed and has been for years.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please consider Jackson Hole as well. $18 an hr is a start but still hard to make ends meet when a room in a condo starts around $1,550 a month.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Heard today that the top of Whistler Blackcomb is closed. It's not cold, or conditions.....no staff to run the lifts, restaurants etc....

They are using the lower mountain...
How sad, Cataloochee has the South Americans college students back this year, unlike last season....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Loon staffing issues are included in a recent open letter from the GM. The more unusual problems stem from the fancy new Kanc8 bubble lift. However, he made it clear that there has been unacceptable behavior from a few customers as well.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.54.46 PM.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Aspen is raising rates by $3/hour effective immediately meaning don't have to wait til end of season to receive a bonus. It's kind of exciting. Feeling like it's an all out wage war!

Wow, they have childcare, too. Presumably it's free or affordable? It seems like that could be a huge lure to employees.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Spokane's ad campaign is WAY better. They understand who their target audience is. That opening line is a pretty good zinger. (This was pre-pandemic; commuting isn't an issue for so many anymore).

View attachment 16881
View attachment 16882
Where de
I don't know, but housing costs are far less there. They have Mt Spokane and 49 Degrees North pretty close, and Schweitzer is within 2 hours.
Spokane here. Mt Spokane is 35 miles from Downtown. Housing is through the roof. The median home price is up several hundred thousand from what it used to be. (389K last year, 17K in 2015) There is zero open occupancy on rentals and apartments. Ad for the 12 minute commute (referring to that ad) it **really** is going to depend on where you are going. I'd venture a guess that the average is closer to 20 what with the traffic growth around here.

Christy

Angel Diva
Housing is through the roof. The median home price is up several hundred thousand from what it used to be. (389K last year, 17K in 2015)

In Seattle it's $859k. $389k might sound amazing to someone that can work remotely. Companies seem to be backpedaling on this though. I hear about more and more employers that are wanting people in the office at least half time. Even Microsoft, which supposedly was going to let employees stay remote forever if they wanted to, is sounding a little vague about this and is more prone to using words like "flexible" and "hybrid."

In any case, the Spokane billboards have come down, at least on my regular routes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna