• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spring snow conditions advice and safety re: ice

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaah Spring Skiing, it can be great or it can be heinous !! At my local hill, which I know VERY well, it nearly always locks up overnight in Spring so it can be like a skating rink first thing. I tend to go early and follow the softening around the hill. I try to score it just as its releasing and then the magic happens and it turns into sublime corn :ski: As we have both North and South facing slopes I'll hit up the groomers first then go off piste and ski the North facing slopes before they get too sloppy and heavy, then I go ski the big South facing slopes which release around 12.30 - 1pm.
Its been a process of observation and lots of local knowledge xx

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaah Spring Skiing, it can be great or it can be heinous !! At my local hill, which I know VERY well, it nearly always locks up overnight in Spring so it can be like a skating rink first thing. I tend to go early and follow the softening around the hill. I try to score it just as its releasing and then the magic happens and it turns into sublime corn :ski: As we have both North and South facing slopes I'll hit up the groomers first then go off piste and ski the North facing slopes before they get too sloppy and heavy, then I go ski the big South facing slopes which release around 12.30 - 1pm.
Its been a process of observation and lots of local knowledge xx
Would this be the same as our current conditions (I probably should have started a new thread, but I was wondering about the temps in the day around 38-40 and then the freeze at night, like we are getting now). I know time exploring for myself will help too! Thanks for the the tips on how to ski spring!

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would this be the same as our current conditions (I probably should have started a new thread, but I was wondering about the temps in the day around 38-40 and then the freeze at night, like we are getting now). I know time exploring for myself will help too! Thanks for the the tips on how to ski spring!
I'm not sure what 38-40 translates into celcius, but I'm picking you going through a melt freeze cycle which is pretty typical for Spring down here in NZ. Sometimes it is waaaay too icy first thing and occassionally patrol will keep some runs closed for an hour or so until it softens but my key is to be poised and ready to go as soon as it does.

I have a ski buddy who only ski's for the first hour or so in Spring as he loves it hard and fast then he goes home when it gets too slushy whereas I tend to do as I mentioned above and follow it round the hill.
We have one big black/doubleblack off piste run that is totally South Facing and it can be lethal early in the day in Spring but it usually softens around lunchtime and then its magnificant. The key is to know the mountain and know the aspects and when you can expect them to release.

The freezing level is also really important to note as that has a major effect on whether things are going to soften or not, you can have a beautiful bluebird day but if the freezing level is too low its gonna stay firm all day. My local hill tops out at around 1900m so I'm looking for a freezing level that is above that. Also if there is a slight windchill that can effect how the snowpack releases as well.
You can also get a weird thing happening when a cloud cover comes over (its got a technical name but I cant remember it) it can trap the heat and cause like a microwave effect.
So many variables !!!

Remember that the aspects are reversed for you up in the Northern Hemi so it will your South facing aspects that will soften first then your North aspects later in the day.
You can also get a weird thing happening when a cloud cover comes over (its got a technical name but I cant remember it) it can trap the heat and cause like a microwave effect.

ENJOY your Spring skiing, it can be AMAZING xx

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
32F is 0C...so between 3-5+C. 50F is 10C. Grew up with both systems.

Most resorts in NA face east or north. So you need to follow the sun. At Tremblant - you ski the north side in the morning (it's actually east, but...). Move to the Versant Soleil for the sun and finish with the South side and more sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly