• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spring is here?

Christy

Angel Diva
We really want to ski this weekend. Me because I'm skiing so well, and the mr because he has new powder skis he's dying to use.

But looking at the forecast, all I see is warm temps and/or rain. Heavy rain in the mountains here the next few days--that is not typical for March! Yuck. So I started going further afield, looking at forecasts for Schweitzer, Bachelor, Sun Valley, all rain. Down into Utah, saw some rain, all warm temps. Tahoe too-Squaw Valley, in the 60s!

Whistler looks amazing. 20 cm new last night, up to 65 new cm this week (!!!!!!). But I know that means every powderhound in the Greater Vancouver area will be out and it will be INSANE. Two Sundays ago, after a big dump, was their 3rd busiest day of the season.

Is it spring already?

My husband says I am like Goldilocks. Every resort is too...something. Too warm, too rainy, too crowded. Sigh. He is right.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always been a fan of Goldilocks... and Mt. Baker?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
The whole PNW over here to the panhandle at least is a nasty wet warm prediction... up to inches of rain, snow level rising to 5000.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've always been a fan of Goldilocks... and Mt. Baker?

Not good at Baker. In fact, this is the worst forecast I can remember for the western Cascades during regular ski season.

This Afternoon Rain. High near 42. South wind 11 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Tonight Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 42. South wind 11 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Wednesday Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 44. South wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Wednesday Night Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 39. South southeast wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Thursday Rain. High near 46. South wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Thursday Night Rain. Low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Friday Showers. High near 46. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Friday Night Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 33.
  • Saturday Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 42.
  • Saturday Night Rain showers likely. Snow level 2900 feet. Cloudy, with a low around 29

Jilly

Staff member
We're not any better here in Eastern Canada. Rain yesterday and more today. Cooler tonight, maybe some flurries, then its turns COLD at night, warming up during the day, but just at the freezing mark. I was hoping for a dump and maybe some nice soft snow. Looking more like ice for this weekend. Usually a one end of March break we get a good storm, maybe not this year. Let's hope March goes out like a Lion!!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pouring rain today in Montreal. Everything's melted or melting. Conditions weren't half bad at Sauveur last Sunday, but by now I'm sure it's a mess. I think that unless it gets cold again and we get another snow dump, the season might be coming to a premature end. Boo.

mustski

Angel Diva
We are not expecting rain but our mountain temps have been tapping 60 F all a week. And I am definitely a "goldilocks". I will still get out there for a couple of hours Sat AM. I gotta test out my new boots.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Spring has already arrived in Southeast PA. Rain and not that cold for daily highs, and I saw some Daffodils have already started pushing their way up.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Not good at Baker. In fact, this is the worst forecast I can remember for the western Cascades during regular ski season.

This Afternoon Rain. High near 42. South wind 11 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Tonight Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 42. South wind 11 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Wednesday Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 44. South wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Wednesday Night Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 39. South southeast wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Thursday Rain. High near 46. South wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Thursday Night Rain. Low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Friday Showers. High near 46. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Friday Night Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 33.
  • Saturday Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 42.
  • Saturday Night Rain showers likely. Snow level 2900 feet. Cloudy, with a low around 29

Ugh. Well, we've had some weeks like that here in the mid-Atlantic! Spring is indeed making an appearance.

This probably won't help, and I know everyone knows this, but we can't control the weather. I find that the more I keep on wishing the weather was what I wanted it to be, the more miserable I get. So, I really don't do that much anymore. I just try to be happy for the good days I get.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This may get me run off the board, but :fear:I'm kinda looking forward to sun and warmth. I love skiing, but I'm looking forward to some hiking and hopefully trips to the beach this summer too. I get bored with any season given enough time. Also, I want to get some more painting and yard improvement done around the house too. I probably won't be saying this when I'm holed up in my house because it's 90+ degrees out with high humidity, and all of our A/C window units are humming and blocking light from coming into ye olde house, but I just try not to think about that. :tongue:

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Believe me, I'm sympathetic. Spring comes early for us in NJ compared to most of the Diva population. But from what I recall of your posts over the last few years - you guys are due for a less-than-stellar spring season, aren't you? :noidea: Seems like the NW has had some really nice March/April skiing at least since I've been on the forum. Even last year when everything just stank in this area...

Anyway, usually by now I have packed the skis away and am just wishing for warm weather to arrive. But this year, our ski vacation is still a few weeks away. Called around to Sugarbush and Smuggler's yesterday, and Sugarbush said they project ski school to be open until the 7th of April, but that may change. Snowmaking is over, so now it's just a matter of making the most of what they've got. Smuggler's sounded less tentative about ski school being open until April 7th, so that's where we are going... (once I call back and make the reservation that is).

Anyway, this is the first year in ages I've been hoping for at least another week to 10 days of preferable snow, but if not, at least cold weather!:thumbsup:

Christy

Angel Diva
you guys are due for a less-than-stellar spring season, aren't you? :noidea: Seems like the NW has had some really nice March/April skiing at least since I've been on the forum.

Well yeah--that's how it's supposed to be! :smile:

I sympathize with those who are looking forward to nice warm weather. I am too, but that doesn't happen here until July, so good spring skiing is pretty essential to me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It is what it is, folks.
At least here, I’m hoping for a NON-repeat of last March, when it hit mid 80's for a WEEK, 3rd week. Essentially trashed conditions, and it was the first time that I’m aware that the Big 3-S (Saddleback, Sugarloaf, Sunday River) made snow in late March, due to penned-in events in April they had to remain open to hold.

Conversely, in 2010, it was 70's first weekend in April (Easter), then got cold and snowed at regular intervals throughout April. Made it to 5/1 that year. In 2007, we got 95" of snow in April. Skied until May 8 in 2011.

In inland, rural Maine, spring is Fast and Furious, on the heels of several weeks of “mud season,” rapidly followed by Black Fly season. Meh. Then I’m quarantined until after July 4th. (Allergic to black fly bites, and those bugs are unrelenting.)

Hoping to keep any semblance of winter around for as long as possible.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
This may get me run off the board, but :fear:I'm kinda looking forward to sun and warmth. I love skiing, but I'm looking forward to some hiking and hopefully trips to the beach this summer too. I get bored with any season given enough time. Also, I want to get some more painting and yard improvement done around the house too. I probably won't be saying this when I'm holed up in my house because it's 90+ degrees out with high humidity, and all of our A/C window units are humming and blocking light from coming into ye olde house, but I just try not to think about that. :tongue:

I'm feeling that way too. Took my first road bike ride in sunny 55 degree weather in Saturday and it was wonderful.

That said, I'll be at Snowbird in mid April and am hoping for sunny warm spring skiing to close out my season. Till then, I'll probably only get one more day on snow here in the East, and that's OK.

Vista freak

Angel Diva
I look forward to spring and gardening, but not in March. Due to family schedules, skiing in April looks iffy. Was happy to see that Killington is bringing out the guns tonight to do some resurfacing. This coming weekend might not be too bad!

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not good here in the Kootenays either. I even gave up free cat skiing yesterday because it poured rain all night, most of the way up the mountain. If I had my way I would be ditching work and heading to Kicking Horse, Golden, they seem to be staying below zero and it is snowing lots.

It is feeling so much like spring in town with warm weather and spring rain. I even saw some crocuses popping out. A lot of snow is gone in town. I feel the switch to mountain biking coming on!!

Sarah_82

Certified Ski Diva
It's funny, before I started skiing, by this time of year I'd always be sick of winter and impatient for spring to arrive. But now, while I'm enjoying mild weather where I live, I'm more concerned with it snowing more and not getting too warm at the ski areas.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Closing dates are actually later than usual for NC and VA this year. That last cold snap and snowstorm made a big difference. A little later for WV too. Snowshoe is planning to stay open until the end of March.

I've switched over to watching the weather for Utah and MT. Trying to avoid looking too often.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna