• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spring Instructor Hiring Clinic, does your mountain do one?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I happened to notice that Gore Mountain in NY is having an Instructor Hiring Clinic this weekend. It's the morning of March 13 and costs $5. Don't have to buy a lift ticket.

Wondering if other ski schools try to find new instructors in the spring.

Gore Instructor Hiring Clinic - March 13, 2022

Do you love to ski or snowboard and want to help others learn to love it too? Here’s your chance! We are hosting a spring snow sports instructor hiring clinic on Sunday, March 13. This clinic is open to both skiers and snowboarders ages 16 and up looking to be an instructor for the 2022/23 season.

Candidates must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to ski and ride at an intermediate level or better. Candidates should be prepared to be on the snow for most of the day for the clinic. They will ski or ride with a staff of supervisors and trainers to get a lesson on the basics of instructing as well as receive some tips on how to improve their own skiing or riding.

The clinic costs $5 to participate and includes a lift ticket for the day. Interested candidates can call 518-251-4804 to sign up.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's an interesting way of recruiting new instructors. I wonder if Gore has taken this approach in the past. I've not heard of other mountains doing this kind of thing, either in the spring or when the new season starts. Trying to get new instructors in the early season is too late because people will have already bought season passes. I think this plan sounds full of potential to get new recruits on board early.

I'm pretty sure every ski area in New England is short-staffed. Advertising this event as costing $5 makes it sound like a bargain to folks who might start thinking about instructing if they see the advert, especially since there's a free lift ticket involved. Skiing around with instructors and instructor-hopefuls might sound like a fun way to spend a Sunday on the slopes. It sounds like there will be training involved.

I wish their ski school the best of luck.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a good way to get people starting to think about it in advance. Wachusett has an instructor training course but in the fall. I think theirs is off snow if the hill isn't open yet, on snow once it is. It is a bigger commitment at 9 sessions, running pretty much all day on Sat and Sun leading into the season but probably does give you a good foundation going in.

Jilly

Staff member
I know some of the Canadian resorts, during the season run an 6 or 8 week - become an instructor course. At the end you take the exam and can teach if you pass. So you're ready for the next season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly