• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Speed/acceleration confidence issues

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Thank you everyone for your kind messages! I read & re-read them so many times ❤️

and I had a private lesson at four seasons this morning — by myself, without my son or husband around lol

My instructor this morning was a 66 y/o lovely female… who is the most nicest & patient person I have ever met.. and even though I still fell multiple times & was still very slow to catch up.. but I enjoyed learning from her

she shared that she has experience teaching adults my age… and i have signed up to learn from her specifically twice a week for the rest of the season.

I know I will take a lot more time to learn as compared to others… but I am ok to keep trying

thank you everyone
This sounds like a great outcome! Keep up the good work. :smile:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you everyone for your kind messages! I read & re-read them so many times ❤️

and I had a private lesson at four seasons this morning — by myself, without my son or husband around lol

My instructor this morning was a 66 y/o lovely female… who is the most nicest & patient person I have ever met.. and even though I still fell multiple times & was still very slow to catch up.. but I enjoyed learning from her

she shared that she has experience teaching adults my age… and i have signed up to learn from her specifically twice a week for the rest of the season.

I know I will take a lot more time to learn as compared to others… but I am ok to keep trying

thank you everyone
What a great attitude. I bet you'll enjoy your times with this instructor and that your skill level and confidence will grow. No need to measure how fast you learn; it isn't a competition. Let yourself stop and smell the roses.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From another slow learner, all that matters is that you are having fun and enjoying the process. I often feel like it is two steps forward, one step back. But I'm having fun (and am stubborn) so I keep at it.

Sounds like you found a good match in your new instructor.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
From another slow learner, all that matters is that you are having fun and enjoying the process. I often feel like it is two steps forward, one step back. But I'm having fun (and am stubborn) so I keep at it.

Sounds like you found a good match in your new instructor.
Ha, I agree, about the steps back and forward but when it's a bluebird day and warmish or just not windy.......I just am Happy to be outside. ;)
Hope you are enjoying your new digs. Have a blast in Taos...now that there is ❄️

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get an older instructor! Seriously, the 16 yo is probably great but probably was never scared herself and hasn't lived long enough to try anything new as an adult. Crusty old dudes who learned before there were shaped skis are the best.

42 isn't too young. I started in my late 30s.

But also - it's OK if this turns out not to be your thing. My best friend is athletic and loves cross country skiing and gave downhill the old college try and she finds it too terrifying to bother with. The good part about being 42 is deciding that you don't have to do hobbies that you don't like.
LOL that's my husband!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

thank you everyone
So wonderful that you found someone who speaks to you literally! You have to have confidence in your instructor to be able to learn. Keep us updated on your progress!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Our “home hillock” ends in a creek. I’m putting in a google maps picture here, because I think it’s amazing more people don’t end up there. In the pic, carpet-served beginner area circled in yellow. Creek highlighted in blue.

View attachment 20088
Quite familiar, past tense, with the area in question (skied there for 12 years)(DH and DS on ski school). I have, in fact, fished beginners out of said creek, poor beginners. There have also been some rather spectacular accidents/mishaps on the bridges that cross said creek, such as one kid who was dangling over the creek from the bridge railing by his jacket. Can't make this stuff up....

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@MaineSkiLady …. :love:

It’s astonishing to me we don’t see MORE mishaps. The first time I took the kids there, I was terrified. It’s really spectacular!
:rotf:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly