• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sparking joy?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I have a message for Marie Kondo.

Your size 4 jeans and t-shirts are very cute, but my size 16 clothes will never fold down as small as yours.

And this also goes for everyone who can pack in a carry on. Congratulations.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is a big headache. I suppose you can't just get rid of your DH's stuff and feign ignorance and remain married? But I love the sign.

Christy

Angel Diva
Photo albums/books and prints are things that I don't mind having around. It's great to digitize but as @geargrrl alluded to, technology changes and it's not a lasting solution. What if we'd all started digitizing photos when floppy disks were the thing? I'm a pretty relentless editor of cell phone/digital photos in general. I only keep the best; I store them in the cloud and I make books or prints of the very best.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is of course somewhat facetious, but I began to wonder if the same criteria can be applied to people:

"Keep only those friends who bring you joy."
Interesting. I read an article that said studies at two universities indicate that people are the same way with relationships as they are with possessions.

If I can find the link, I'll post it. Initial search gave less than promising results.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I talked to my front office and we have a fujitsu scanner $400+ that scans all our patient documents for EHR. My biller also has one at home and she just told me that she can rapidly scan in hundreds of photos and it doesn't take a long time and drop it into whatever file you create. While it isn't a cheap scanner it is very fast. This may be a good winter project coming up. All my colleagues have this scanner.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get really irritated with other people’s junk. My DH also has all kinds of stuff from college and books on computer programming from the 1990s. There are boxes of stuff that he took from his mother’s attic. I guess the good thing about this is that there is nothing left to sort in his mother’s place. She hyper organised and the only clutter she had was his. He works from a home office. The rest of the apartment is reasonably civilised but his office is a disaster zone. I’ve mentioned that he needs to sort out his stuff but he just brushes me off. We’re moving in three weeks! We’re moving to a much smaller place and we just won’t have space for it all. It will also slow our move down because it’s much harder to pack. I also resent that one whole room of our apartment is basically uninhabitable and I’ll resent it more in a smaller house. However I also know that I shouldn’t let this bother me. After all I have known him for more than 20 years and he has always been like this so I can hardly expect him to change now. Meanwhile I’ve been clearing out closets and drawers ..... sigh.

Is the Marie Kondo book any good on how to stay tidy and organised? I start out great but it slowly descends into chaos. My saving grace has been moving house every few years because it has forced me to go through stuff.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get really irritated with other people’s junk. My DH also has all kinds of stuff from college and books on computer programming from the 1990s. There are boxes of stuff that he took from his mother’s attic. I guess the good thing about this is that there is nothing left to sort in his mother’s place. She hyper organised and the only clutter she had was his. He works from a home office. The rest of the apartment is reasonably civilised but his office is a disaster zone. I’ve mentioned that he needs to sort out his stuff but he just brushes me off. We’re moving in three weeks! We’re moving to a much smaller place and we just won’t have space for it all. It will also slow our move down because it’s much harder to pack. I also resent that one whole room of our apartment is basically uninhabitable and I’ll resent it more in a smaller house. However I also know that I shouldn’t let this bother me. After all I have known him for more than 20 years and he has always been like this so I can hardly expect him to change now. Meanwhile I’ve been clearing out closets and drawers ..... sigh.

Is the Marie Kondo book any good on how to stay tidy and organised? I start out great but it slowly descends into chaos. My saving grace has been moving house every few years because it has forced me to go through stuff.

Like anything, the method has to work for you.
As others have mentioned, the Kondo philosophy is more about deciding what to keep as opposed to organizing all the stuff you have. By using her method, I got rid of things I would not have previously. Less stuff makes it easier to organize. The folding method takes less space. I am optimistic.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is of course somewhat facetious, but I began to wonder if the same criteria can be applied to people:
"Keep only those friends who bring you joy."
One hears a lot about toxic relationships these days, and I can't help feeling that if we applied the Kendo rule to our friends, those toxic people would be avoided.

@skibum4ever - this does ring true - I have distanced myself from several "draining" friends, who were very negative - like everything in the world is wrong. Life without the drama is so much lighter.

I'm really applying this to the surf line up this summer- I'm so over people (neighbors) who talk and bitch about everything (or people who just have to talk up blah blah blah) in the line up. I don't ski with a lot of people either - its my "sport oriented technical me time," just like surfing. Don't need to be around people complaining....... just want to enjoy the magical environment !

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like anything, the method has to work for you.
This is the thing. It does work for me. Unfortunately it doesn’t work for DH, or more accurately, it doesn’t apply because he doesn’t care about mess! I guess that’s just marriage and in our case it balances out over all, so I don’t have much to complain about. However I did decide this morning that I am going to sort through all his clothes because generally he will get rid of stuff if you ask him item by item.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the thing. It does work for me. Unfortunately it doesn’t work for DH, or more accurately, it doesn’t apply because he doesn’t care about mess! I guess that’s just marriage and in our case it balances out over all, so I don’t have much to complain about. However I did decide this morning that I am going to sort through all his clothes because generally he will get rid of stuff if you ask him item by item.

Perhaps you can come to some sort of agreement about what can work for both of you. If he is willing to let you do the sorting, maybe that would work. Maybe you could suggest he can keep what he wants but has to move it into a storage unit. I guess it just depends on the amount of living space you need or are willing to sacrifice for storage. Tough when people are different.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the other sign I posted in my house. Just say NO to storage units.*

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 3.23.22 PM.png

*There are times when a storage unit is useful, but putting junk in it because it is cluttering your house is not one of them. In my area, a 10x10 climate controlled unit costs about $150 per month.

After 5 years, the junk that you think you want to save has cost you $9000.

Just my $.02.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the other sign I posted in my house. Just say NO to storage units.*

View attachment 9221

*There are times when a storage unit is useful, but putting junk in it because it is cluttering your house is not one of them. In my area, a 10x10 climate controlled unit costs about $150 per month.

After 5 years, the junk that you think you want to save has cost you $9000.

Just my $.02.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that storage units are not the way to go. Fortunately the house we are moving to has a garage that is better for storage than for a car, so anything non-essential can go in there. It’s great to have that flexibility for items of furniture but I don’t see the point of shipping boxes of college notes around the world! To be fair to DH, he’s actually much better than I am at parting with things he can sell. I tend to keep things of value, even if I don’t use them which is sometimes prettier but not necessarily better.

Jilly

Staff member
When I was looking through stuff to move the university texts were the first to go. I mean really, I graduated in 1978....and I'm not working in the field anymore. So why keep them. I can look anything up on the internet if I need to.

Old clothes, old ski stuff, furniture etc.....most stuff went. Yet if you look around the condo right now, it looks like an episode of hoarders. So I'm using 2 wire basket closet storage units, a couple of rubbermaid tubs, 2 boxes. I'm just missing that partridge! I haven't put the Ikea dresser together yet.! That's on tap for next week. Also I haven't hung pictures. I wanted to paint, but decided last night....get them hung. We'll fill the holes later. I can't get a painter till fall, so why worry about holes.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As long as you are planning on painting anyways, not that much bother to patch a couple of nail holes if need be. This way you get a feeling for if things are hanging in the right place first. Much better than painting first and then saying whoopsie, I wish I had put that nail a little to the left.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm late to this thread ( I have had a very busy July) but read through all of it and found it validating. Part of the reason I have had such a my busy month was due to having to move my 89 year old father from NY to California. He had been living on his own, fell and couldn't manage in his house anymore. The maddening thing is he has not de-cluttered at all. He has always been a pack rat and now with his dementia he has moved into a full fledged hoarder. My brother and I spent close to 5 days just clearing the walkways of the house. It's absolutely overwhelming. I am totally the opposite and am constantly getting rid of things we don't use via craigslist, ebay family or my local buy nothing group. The problem with my Dads house if I could probably spend a year cleaning it out in the way I want - having every usable thing go to where it may be used. In the end we will probably hire a clearing service to empty it but we have to take some time to go through and get out whatever we want. Ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly