• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sparking joy?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Can’t you burn the records? Or do you have to have a record of their destruction?

I find watching an episode of Hoarders now and then is pretty good motivation to get rid of some stuff.

Jilly

Staff member
Well 2 trunks became one. I've a pile at the door ready to go to charity. I know the 1 place won't take Christmas stuff, but the other will. Down the road the double bed to going too. Bedroom is too small and a futon would serve the same purpose. Now for shelves in that bedroom.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have spent all day folding clothes. I was busy playing sports when I was young. I never bothered to learn how to do laundry/folding/ironing. Today, I watched videos on how to konmari fold. It went ok. Attached is my beautifully rolled towel. I think I need a glass of wine.A923B10C-EEB0-4A74-8BCB-208A696D4314.jpeg

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend I was going through stuff too and said good-bye to a pair of shoes I've worn for 13 years. It was time. They were great shoes for so long, and served me so well, that I took photos of them for posterity. I'll spare you the photos.

Christy

Angel Diva
I am already feeling a lot of resentment toward my almost 80 year old parents for not decluttering NOW while they still can. They have a huge house plus 3 storage units full of their parents' stuff that they never got rid of! I just can't understand why they won't--at the very least it is incredibly inconsiderate toward their kids who will end up with the job. And as a city person who shared houses and so basically could only have a room worth of stuff until I moved with my now-husband at age 35, and who still has a small cottage where if I buy something new something old has to go just to make room, I just cannot understand hanging on to things you don't use.

@Skier31 I also cannot fold well so I am impressed with your towel! I should watch that video then blow my husband's mind with rolled towels (he can fold really well).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marie Kondo rolls everything. Her tip of using a shoe box inside the drawer to help keep things neat is a good one.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy in my recent experience with a parent moving out of her house into a senior community, we had something of the same frustration. It turned out that packing and shedding things was incredibly emotionally difficult, because it was a recognition of a massive transition away from autonomy and independence. Our mom had a really hard time even thinking about downsizing, not because she was terribly attached to things, she just couldn’t face the loss of her house and her autonomy.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I am feeling grateful to my mom right now. When dad died, she cleared out a lot of stuff, prior to moving, even though she wasn’t downsizing. Now that her brother has died (he was in the veterans home here) she sold her condo, and all her stuff and has moved down to ABQ to live with her sister. So, other than any personal items she has, and a car, there will be nothing to deal with when the time comes.

Now DH's mom, on the other hand . . .

I do think it’s easier to purge when you’re a bit removed from the emotion - meaning, it was easier for my mom to purge stuff from my dad’s side of the family, and it's easier for me to purge stuff from my grandparent's generation than my parent's. But it's also way easier for me to purge than it is for my sister, so basic personalities certainly come into play.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I do think it’s easier to purge when you’re a bit removed from the emotion - meaning, it was easier for my mom to purge stuff from my dad’s side of the family, and it's easier for me to purge stuff from my grandparent's generation than my parent's. But it's also way easier for me to purge than it is for my sister, so basic personalities certainly come into play.

I was very lucky. My mother started downsizing when my parents were in their 70s. Never really had that much space for stuff because they lived in apartments in NYC for decades. By the time they moved to an independent living retirement home when my father was 90 and she was 88, the stuff that they kept was quite minimal. My mother had experience helping friends who didn't make a move to a smaller house or condo or retirement community soon enough.

Quite a different story for my in-laws. Apparently my brother-in-law is still paying for a storage area because he hasn't sold or given away furniture that no one in the family wants.

Getting my DH to toss anything . . .

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Along with donating clothing and stuff, I've made a committment to try to buy used whenever I can.
Which is actually my down fall as well as DD. Goodwill shops in some spendy 'hoods plus the 2 thrift stores in mammoth = some very cool vintage clothing and spring retro ski outfits.
So ok, I have a little vintage cashmere addiction, and a few nice items that were made in Hong Kong.....

Marie Kondo rolls everything. Her tip of using a shoe box inside the drawer to help keep things neat is a good one.

Ikea makes some very nice drawer organizers :wink:
Skubb drawer box w/ compartments and storage boxes are nice, don't cost much and can be ordered online. I do re-use the plastic boxes from the box lettuce for under sink storage in bath and kitchen

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More folding today. It gets easier. Condensed two dressers into one just by folding. The shoe boxes work great. Even though I purged before the folding, I have eliminated more things that sparked less joy when I reviewed then the first time.

Part of me is somewhat disgusted at all of the stuff I have kept for no reason. I realize that part of this is a huge grieving process for my parents. They love their home in Florida and I know they are not thrilled about living in Colorado but I have examined every option and can’t think of a better one at the moment.

The good part of this is that with all of the craziness going on with work, moving, etc., it is extremely peaceful to come home to an organized home.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I borrowed the book online from my library.

Reading just the first couple of chapters has already drastically changed my concept of discarding clothes. I thought I was done with cleaning out my closet, but came up with 1 1/2 more large bags by using her criteria.

Note: The ski closet will be worked on at the start of next season, as I would prefer to give items away to our local Mammoth thrift store, which helps support our Disabled Skier program.

Now to go back through my drawers. I bet I will have much more room in my dresser after this next round.

Not sure that any of my underwear brings me joy, so I shall just eliminate items that I no longer use.

Next stops after clothing will be shoes and jewelry. I'm also working haphazardly on knick knacks, but at some point will have to apply a more Kondo-like strategy. Will have to involve DH at that point because many of these items are his.

Then to get him on board... He really doesn't buy much clothing, but he does have multiple boxes of non-working electronics, connectors, hardware, flashlights etc. I think that for him those boxes might be a good starting point.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Truth be told, I am mediocre at best at this sort of thing. I went through the garage last weekend and kept childhood stuffed animals, books, 2 princess phones, my father's rusty tools.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna