• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Southern VT Questions

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm headed out to southern VT for a work trip over President's Day Weekend, and my team's putting together a few people to ski that Monday since they know it's my favorite thing. I've also heard some mumblings about an uphill lap or two before meetings, but that seems less set in stone.

I'm super flattered that they're organizing something so thoughtful, but also a smidgen stressed. All my skis are fat. None of my outerwear is warm. Two pairs of skis and boots and all the outerwear seems like a lot for a week-long business trip. (Especially since I'm popping over to Saratoga Springs for a night mid-trip to see my brother)..

I'm thinking of just sticking to an alpine day, and just bringing my boots. Is it insane to think I can get a demo that weekend? And if not, any shop recommendations? I think we'll be skiing Bromley, but Stratton & Mt. Snow are also within an hour's drive of the office and are potential options. Part of me also worries that this is a lot of planning for a ski day that might also just be too cold for me to handle.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, President's Day weekend skiing in Vermont is pretty much the busiest time of the year. And yeah, it can be very cold. Then again, you may get lucky. It was pretty nice this week -- in the 30's -- so you never know.

As for shops, I'd recommend Starting Gate and First Run, both at Stratton.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva Yea, the other reason I'm on the fence about toting my skis across the continent is that I got vibes this was the one weekend that regulars and locals intentionally skipped. I think Bromley has a half day afternoon option that might be a smidgen better, but if this all sounds really questionable, I can pass on the "stand in line for ages so you can survival ski ice on pow skis in front of a bunch of coworkers" experience.

Does nordic get as rowdy as downhill?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't blame you. That's really a bad time to try to experience East Coast skiing.

I wish I could tell you about nordic, but I honestly don't know.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Nordic does not get nearly as rowdy as downhill. Nordic is pretty much always chill! There are plenty of Nordic options in that area.

Okemo seems to have been the spot for uphill/dawn patrol this season.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Also, of all places Bromley is probably your best bet for minimal crowding. It’s not on a mega pass.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Magic Mtn would be my choice in that situation, assuming they are open (I think they operate Thu-Sun, but probably open on that holiday?)

It will be crowded I'm sure, but the terrain is interesting and fun and it has a great old-school, laid-back vide. The slow-ish chairs mean that the trails don't get crowded even if there are lines.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I agree with the Magic suggestion. Bromley second. Stratton third. Snow…definitely last (I’ve seen the lift line photos from Xmas week, and would expect presidents weekend to be the same).

As for cold weather attire, obviously it depends on the day…but a merino baselayer (short or long sleeve, depending on weather), grid fleece quarter zip, a synthetic insulator, and a shell, is my normal go-to. You probably wear only 1/2 those layers at one time at home…but they’re relatively basic layers that most skiers own? I know you’re an AT skier, so I’m sure you own a down-over-coat for the top of a cold hike? Worst case, bring that to wear skiing.

For skis, either rent/demo, or what do you have? I ski 100 underfoot skis regularly on the east coast. People sometimes over-exaggerate the need for skinny carvers in the east, IMO…unless you hit some of the worst days.

No you’re probably not going to get prime conditions (but who knows…you might)…I would say it’s worth going for the experience of seeing what New England mountains are like (if you’ve never skied them before), and enjoy some old-school New England charm. Just keep your skiing expectations realistic for a holiday weekend.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@Analisa , I sure hope you decided not to ski in Vermont during your visit here! We had a big warm up on Thursday, followed by pouring rain, followed by freezing temps. Conditions are awful right now, and I'd hate for this to be your introduction to Eastern skiing. Better to put it off for another time.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn’t! I mentioned that I was also planning to meet up with my brother who’s in the Hudson Valley this weekend, and the team was like "dope, we don't feel pressure to entertain you over our long weekend."

I planned on getting some xc time in, but even those spots are closed til they get more snow. Tomorrow looks like a great day for hiking though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna