• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sources for cloth face coverings, for folks who don't sew

MissySki

Angel Diva
Two of my newest acquisitions arrived in the mail today. Waiting for them to dry some more before I start customizing the fit. I have had to shorten the elastic on most of the ones I've bought, as I prefer a tighter fit so that they stay put.
View attachment 12973

That’s my typical problem too. How do you shorten the elastics? Do you cut or fold and then sew?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've had good luck on Etsy. Once on the website I simply type into the search whatever theme of pattern I want that day--for example "hawaiian print face mask" and search away!
Haven't found the perfect fit yet, but the collection that my daughter and I gotten from Etsy is growing. She looks for how the material looks. I'm looking for what will fit best for the times I need to wear a face mask for more than 15-20 minutes. Just ear loops doesn't quite do it for me.

Came across an ad for a design with clear plastic so that the mouth can be seen. It was created by someone who works with the deaf community. But I can see times when it would be useful for others to see when someone is smiling. Found a source for a free pattern for those who can sew.

https://www.craftpassion.com/windowed-face-mask-sewing-pattern/Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 1.06.12 PM.jpg

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC have you tried ear savers? Those pieces of either plastic or cloth that go around the back of your head and the ear loops for the mask attach to that instead of pressuring your ears.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC have you tried ear savers? Those pieces of either plastic or cloth that go around the back of your head and the ear loops for the mask attach to that instead of pressuring your ears.
Have heard of ear savers and saw a cashier using a basic one the other day. The variety of options on Etsy is impressive.

My DIY approach with hair ties has been working fine for the TSD face mask. Same approach seemed to be okay today on one of the Etsy masks that's the surgical mask design with soft elastic ear loops that were too loose.

I'm experimenting. Given that I'm retired, I don't need a mask for more than 15-20 minutes at a time for day-to-day activities so it doesn't really matter that much.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hadn't thought out masks for men with beards. Doesn't look too difficult to accommodate though.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.45.04 PM.jpg

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Surfmonkey neck gaiters to cover my face and I didn’t have to buy any specifically for Covid because I already had a few on hand for spring skiing sun protection. Study, quick to dry, comfortable, made in USA. Most of the motifs are ugly but clicking through the 30+ pages of styles, some of them are actually cute. Their intended use is for sun protection while fishing in Florida so they are good for cover up without overheating. www.surfmonkeygear.com

8FD571D6-61E0-4E5D-901B-76EC4839D119.jpegD7C3AC7B-632B-4AC4-8B4B-79F868434EF0.jpeg39FA9EA6-3D95-4AEE-BF36-3B984C7F2763.jpeg43D0571F-63C4-4A72-A004-FF2F184B2A64.jpeg

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Surfmonkey neck gaiters to cover my face and I didn’t have to buy any specifically for Covid because I already had a few on hand for spring skiing sun protection. Study, quick to dry, comfortable, made in USA. Most of the motifs are ugly but clicking through the 30+ pages of styles, some of them are actually cute. Their intended use is for sun protection while fishing in Florida so they are good for cover up without overheating. www.surfmonkeygear.com

View attachment 13185View attachment 13186View attachment 13187View attachment 13188
These are pretty, especially the peacock feather! I have a collection of lightweight SPF buffs which I use for everything including skiing. I adore mine! For me, anything with neoprene or fleece is too hot on my face, so regardless of temp I find the buffs perfect ... except for working out. My country just mandated masks while engaged in gym activity. It is not fun. I’m already in a separate section of the gym very distanced from others and still the county is coming down hard. Because of this measure, I bring multiple masks with me so I’ve got options. A new style arrives today.

Attachments

• 4DDF7953-1A77-4829-B96C-E67B20E2D4B1.jpeg
    4DDF7953-1A77-4829-B96C-E67B20E2D4B1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Jilly

Staff member
We don't have to wear the mask, while working out. My trainer kept hers on the whole time. We only did the weight training portion. I have to do my cardio on my own right now. She and owner are working on what to do and how can that happen.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I’ve been wearing one during studio yoga, but not the outside classes. I also wear it the whole time I’m at the food bank and that can get hot. During cardio could be interesting.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been wearing one during studio yoga, but not the outside classes. I also wear it the whole time I’m at the food bank and that can get hot. During cardio could be interesting.
It’s been a nightmare wearing a mask during cardio and my sessions with trainer. I power through it but not without muttering colorful language to myself.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don't have to wear the mask, while working out. My trainer kept hers on the whole time. We only did the weight training portion. I have to do my cardio on my own right now. She and owner are working on what to do and how can that happen.
Those were the days my friend, when just the trainer wore a mask. The sheriff office actually came in yesterday to check on compliance.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm still doing virtual personal training once a week and it's working out quite well. No masks required !

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow, I commend anyone doing cardio in a mask! My cardio has always been a thorn in my side at the best if times, there’s no way I’d ever do it in a mask (the heat and humidity are just too much right now. Though I haven’t been doing cardio in general.. haha. When I eventually make myself it’ll be at home for sure, so I can stay maskless.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm doing online cardio (or the exercise bike) in my basement since this all started, so no mask required. Phew.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I commend anyone doing cardio in a mask! My cardio has always been a thorn in my side at the best if times, there’s no way I’d ever do it in a mask (the heat and humidity are just too much right now. Though I haven’t been doing cardio in general.. haha. When I eventually make myself it’ll be at home for sure, so I can stay maskless.
It’s not enjoyable. Don’t try this at home.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I made about 200 masks for a project that was called Making Masks for Maine back in March and April. We all used the Deaconess Hospital pattern. I think the project reulted in about 15k masks for non-medical first responders and nursing homes, etc. I made many for friends, too. Hadn't used my machine (a 30 year-old simple Kenmore) in years. It was fun to sew again. Now that I can whip them out, I have them in many colorways! Tried to have a tennis lesson with my mask on, but it was not a good thing.

Jenny

Angel Diva
DH is going to try hockey with a mask Friday morning. Possibly. Depends on if he decides there are too many younger guys that he's not confident are following rules or not who will be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly