• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sources for cloth face coverings, for folks who don't sew

Jenny

Angel Diva
I saw some other place that said after two hours. Whatever.

So far I’ve been letting mine sit a couple of days in between wearing, but going to wash them tonight.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have N95 woodworking masks, but they only protect me from inhale and don't protect others from my exhale so I made a fabric one to wear on top. It will protect the mask as well. If you have a few masks, you can always just leave them sitting for a few days until you need them again. I do alley shopping on one day and only go every 2 weeks so it's easy to let them just sit. my walking the dog face covers ... well, they are just to comply with the county requirements. we rarely see anyone else.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So one of my favorite womens surf companies SEEA* is making masks -- I'm not sure how they will work out b/c most of the material is for swimsuits/ rash guards but they do have some cotton fabrics items as well... I like to support small US based companies....

https://www.theseea.com/collections/just-in/products/covid-mask

* I love their rash guards in lighter colors for tropical surfing... at home I'm usually in a wet suit.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So one of my favorite womens surf companies SEEA* is making masks -- I'm not sure how they will work out b/c most of the material is for swimsuits/ rash guards but they do have some cotton fabrics items as well... I like to support small US based companies....

https://www.theseea.com/collections/just-in/products/covid-mask

* I love their rash guards in lighter colors for tropical surfing... at home I'm usually in a wet suit.
Super cute....

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
I have made about 200 so far.... most donated but I am selling to friends and family. My YouTube channel has a few videos with methods and tips for efficient sewing.

From what I am reading, most of the homemade wires are pretty worthless after a few trips through the wash, so I am electing to not add that in. Elastic will wear out fast with bleaching and lots of dryer heat.

If you are making them with filter pocket - add a channel at the top of the mask for the removable wire, accessible through the pocket. I add a stitching line about 1/4" away from the edge on the nose, 3.5-4" length, close it on one side, leave the other open to slide the wire in through the filter pocket.

Hope that made sense.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Forgot to add that for masks without pocket, I've added either a bias strip (on curved masks) or straight/bias strip on pleated ones for the wire. Of course either method means it takes longer to make masks. As I'm too slow of a sewist to make large numbers for donation (and am still working full-time, and now also homeschooling), I'm making for family and friends only, so chose to add the pocket and wire channel.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@NewEnglandSkier : saw in another thread that you've found some nice cloth facemasks. Meaning ones that have nice designs. Can you share some links?

I'm mostly using non-medical, non-cloth, face masks. I have a few, so just let them sit for a few days before re-using. For really quick stops, the super lightweight Buff I got for Death Valley works well enough.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW - For those who have to have a face covering while outdoors/ exercising -
I have two different light weight Buff's one is the new CoolNet UV+ material which was introduced last year and I feel is a bit easier to breath through. Its a different weave then the prior years UV Buff.

Unfortunately they are pretty much sold out online - apparently everyone else had the same idea.
Was able to find what I wanted from an independent sports shop online yesterday, needed the XL for DH. They were made in Barcelona so not sure how the production will be affected.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had good luck on Etsy. Once on the website I simply type into the search whatever theme of pattern I want that day--for example "hawaiian print face mask" and search away!

altagirl

Staff member
I've made about 325 so far, using geargrrl's tutorials. All donated except for personal use. I have started making some that are a variation with elastic and nose wires. Less durable, but nicer to wear (on the rare occasions I leave the house...). For donation purposes I'm going with the cloth ties for durability. For friends I typically give them a few of each now...

I've had no problem at all finding fabric on etsy. Elastic too. I just dump it straight into the washing machine when it arrives.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also have been using bandanas collected from ski resorts! Really fun.
I have been collecting them and give to my BF upon return from a ski trip. He had to loan me some! Favorites are st moritz, snowbird, copper mtn, Vail,Crested Butte to name a few...
Think we need a ski diva one!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Co-worker's wife was making masks, with ties. I bought 2 just cuz she had cute prints.
Bought 1 from Tom Bihn website, bought 2 more yesterday. Very comfortable.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two of my newest acquisitions arrived in the mail today. Waiting for them to dry some more before I start customizing the fit. I have had to shorten the elastic on most of the ones I've bought, as I prefer a tighter fit so that they stay put.
P1050199 copy.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly