• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sources for cloth face coverings, for folks who don't sew

marzNC

Angel Diva
As was mentioned in another thread, not everyone has an interest in sewing. My mother even sent me to a sewing class as a tween. Somewhere I still have the shirt I had to make. But sewing really isn't something I have any interest in doing.

So these days the question is where to get a cloth face covering?

I came across a small business near Jiminy Peak that usually sells baby accessories. The county where Jiminy and Pittsfield are located has been hit pretty hard. Now they are not only selling cotton cloth face masks, they are donating them as well.

https://petitpilou.com/collections/frontpage/products/organic-cotton-face-mask

Tvan

Angel Diva

marzNC

Angel Diva
Masks2Heros - You buy a cloth mask, they donate a medical mask to front line workers: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...0-mJw-6VD0Yq31XTgn75YucJ074KWR49aY2glAx2s6A#/
Interesting concept. Individuals get cloth masks and help cover the cost of N95 masks that will be donated to medical workers. $25 for 2 gets 2 donated, or $300 for 20 to use and 20 donated. The cloth masks were designed by students at MIT.

The Indiegogo webpage includes several links for scientific references.

Here's the Masks2Heros website:
https://www.masks2heroes.com

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
This is a Hawaiian business. They have some very cute designs. Your purchase will allow them to donate more masks to healthcare workers:

https://www.gingrrsalt.com/

Screenshot_20200412-165933.png

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skida is making them as well, although last I checked they were sold out but hoping to restock.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have fabric and a sewing machine. I'm going to try to make a couple of masks, but I think I'll buy some to cover my bases in case that plan fails.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My cousin's husband is a radiation oncologist and their hospital likes the ones from the Olson pattern. I took a look - it actually has multiple pieces, like a real pattern, vs these ones that are just squares or rectangles of cloth. I have no idea what the ones I have are based on, but I can tell you the one with three pleats on the side, from the food bank, fits better than the one-pleated one my friend made. But she said she broke two needles trying to do the three pleated one.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In this pic, she apparently has it on upside down, but she says her glasses don’t fog as badly so,she's going to just keep doing it.
Definitely can make a difference which way is up for a face mask that has a shape. What I've used so far is a mask made for allergy and DIY projects. It has a small metal piece. DIdn't look at the box carefully and wore it upside down the first time. My glasses were fogging all the time. When I used it the correct way (for an hour of acupuncture), no problem at all.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sewed a few masks. All of mine are pleated and have fabric ties, not elastic (the new toilet paper). And I left openings for inserting filters. The most recent ones also have pipe cleaners to help shape them over the nose. Pipe cleaners are known as "fuzzy sticks" and can be found in the children's craft section at Walmart.

There are several patterns and instructions online. The first one I used was sucked into an internet black hole while I was in the middle of the first mask!

I don't have a link to instructions for my recent ones. I kind of made up my own method by blending various things I saw online. If a couple of you want to go over the process, we can set up a Zoom session. I am not good at this ... can't sew much of a straight line ... but I now have experience I can share.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a simple, no-sew solution if you have a bandana and 2 rubber bands.
Scroll to 1:09 in this video to see how:

Simple, comfortable, washable. If you wear glasses, there will be a fogging issue. But, I've found if you put your glasses on top of the mask and scoot them down your nose a bit, the fogging is eliminated. Also, if you feel the bands pulling on your ears too much, you can make the mask itself wider to lessen the ear strain. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Stuff I've read said no to pipe cleaners....just use wire. Local shop here has kits available. You pick up at the door and can them deliver them back so they can pass them out. They are starting gowns tomorrow. I'm still working for don't have time...

One interesting place is in Ottawa. They make sport hijabs and turbans. They have change production to face masks. 2 for $20.

Someone posted on facebook a mask they bought. It had penis's on it. The comment was if you can figure out what they are you're TOO CLOSE!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I expect pipe cleaners will be too fragile for long-term use, but for today, we have to work with what's available.

Fabric stores and craft stores are closed. Walmart is (was?) the best option. They had almost no cotton fabric, no elastic, little thread, etc ... the whole section was almost picked clean. I even bought a flat sheet, which is only 60% cotton, just to have a fallback.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I cut out some pieces that were 18" x 12" from an old pair of flannel pajamas. I made 2 "no sew" masks using round rubber bands as ties. They are fairly comfortable. I also put a sheet of paper towel in for added filtration.

Having 2 masks allows me to let one sit for several days after use. Of course I don't really shop more than once a week anyway.

I have also ordered two from a company which donates a medical mask to health care workers for every cloth mask which is purchased. However, they are so backed up that I may not receive them for several weeks.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just ordered a couple from a neighborhood woman who is laid off bartender.

All of a sudden I'm seeing everyone wear them even when outside alone on walks, probably because of that article about the supposed Dutch study about runners/airborne droplets that turned out to not be a study and was discredited. LA just made it a law that you have to wear them inside any business, so I'm sure that's coming for everyone.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have made about 200 so far.... most donated but I am selling to friends and family. My YouTube channel has a few videos with methods and tips for efficient sewing.

From what I am reading, most of the homemade wires are pretty worthless after a few trips through the wash, so I am electing to not add that in. Elastic will wear out fast with bleaching and lots of dryer heat.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've used this with modification - it needs to be wider for a 'normal' size face- maybe an inch to 1.5 inches wider on both pieces depending on use and to allow more room for the channel for the strings/elastic to fit thru. I'm using shoe strings for the sides instead of elastic.
DH uses N95 at work (non medical) so to extend the life of the N95 he used one as cover.
I had to make his 1.5 wider.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly