• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Solutions to Windshield Fogging in Winter?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My car gets condensation, frost, and sometimes ice on the inside of my windshield in the winter, and it takes an annoyingly long time to defrost. I'm pretty careful about keeping the inside of the car as dry as possible, but with putting skis in there, there's always going to be moisture.

I put the a/c on high and have it set to allow fresh air in (vs. recirculating) and I try not to have to touch or wipe the inside of the windshield because that seems to leave a mess of streaks later on.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any tricks or products to get the inside of the windshield cleared as quickly as possible? I've heard suggestions about things like cat litter, silica packets, etc. but before I launch a full clear-window campaign, I thought I'd ask for ideas.

My car is old, so I don't have remote-start or anything fancy. I don't know what it is about this particular vehicle that the moisture is so persistent and tenacious; it's worse than other cars I've had, I think. Thanks for any tips!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Saw on the weather channel last night several ideas for defogging windshields with condensation. Filling a sock with kitty litter and leaving on your dash was one of the ideas. Also applying shaving cream to windshield (don't know if I would try this one) was another idea.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can see how the cat litter would work; I may go that route. I am currently nursing a geriatric cat with bladder-control issues, so my preference would be to compartmentalize the litter-adjacent and litter non-adjacent facets of my daily life. :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Do you dry your skis before you put them in your car? I often keep my skis in my car overnight, and I've found that wiping them down first helps. Plus it's good for your skis, too.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you dry your skis before you put them in your car? I often keep my skis in my car overnight, and I've found that wiping them down first helps. Plus it's good for your skis, too.

I do, though I find that it's hard to get all of the snow out of the bindings, so I'm sure there's moisture on them when they sit in the car. In the long term, I'd like to get a roof box to mitigate the issue.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you tried cracking the window open just a tiny bit? We switch between defrost and AC when driving in cold/snow and when the windshield starts to fog up, we open the window just a tiny bit to balance the moisture/temperature. Works every time.

Jilly

Staff member
I can't say that I've ever used the A/C in winter. I've actually had to use the defrost only a couple of days this week. Crack a window too.

Try the kitty litter or some other desiccant. You need to remove the moisture in the car.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... I am currently nursing a geriatric cat with bladder-control issues, so my preference would be to compartmentalize the litter-adjacent and litter non-adjacent facets of my daily life. :smile:

As someone whose cat used to have bladder control issues, this resonated with me deeply. It got to the point where I’d smell phantom cat pee at my desk at work and would have to talk myself through all the reasons that was impossible. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna