• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Solitude Ski Resort Jan 13-23, 2019

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
This was our first trip to Solitude Ski Resort in Utah to ski. We usually visit larger acreage resorts, but Solitude (1200 acres) was easy to get to with a direct flight and we found a great deal on a superb condo. Plus, we were being lazy and didn't want to have to drive far from the airport this year because our lives had been so hectic. Purchasing tickets online ahead of time saved us about $30 per day.

Conditions when we first arrived were hard-pack and icy. And very crowded. Solitude advertises that its slopes are uncrowded, but, unfortunately for us, we didn't find it so most of the days we were there (the 2nd and 3rd week of January). Although the MLK weekend was during part of our visit, we wisely did not ski those days. Just watching the crowded mountain from our condo let us know that it was a good idea to take a few days off. If you're coming up in the morning from the city, come early or you'll sit in a traffic jam, especially on weekends. The road, after all, is a (mostly) single lane canyon road.

If you are learning to ski, the green runs are all accessed through a single lift, which keeps true beginners safely separated from other skiers. And probably a bit more comfortable.

We admired the beautiful cross country ski and snowshoe trails right at the base of the main condo village (but didn't have time to try out the trails). The base village doesn't have very much in the way of retail and restaurants, so no night-life to speak of. It was very quiet, even over the holiday weekend, which was nice.

The lifts (except for one) are high speed and easy to use because Solitude uses an RFID ticket system. Just place your ticket in a jacket pocket and the gate before the lift opens up to let you through. Quick and maybe easier for the lift operators. And even when it was crowded, we didn't have to wait more than a few minutes for the lifts we hit (we avoided the more crowded ones).

The resort (and the canyon drive to get there from Salt Lake) is easy and quite a pretty drive. I think it took around 45 minutes to get there from the airport.

After a few days, the resort (and both Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons) received about 18"+ of snow over 3 days (knee deep powder!). I have to admit that it was some of the best quality snow (light and fluffy) I've ever skied in my life. The canyon road was closed for a time one afternoon and almost half of the next day, so we had low crowds and first tracks on a few of the runs. We had a blast. However, the morning after the dump (it was still snowing lightly), the resort was skied out by 10:30 (except for some of the single and double blacks, which didn't open because of avalanche danger). We spent most of the time lapping the Eagle Express lift, which wasn't quite as crowded. Because it stayed overcast and cold, the snow held up and became piled powder we could just blast through.

The next day, the first sunny day, the resort had groomed approximately half of the named runs (almost all of the blues AND blacks with the exception of Honeycomb Canyon runs) instead of leaving the chopped up powder. The unfortunate result of the overnight grooming was to create packed, icy conditions (especially on the blacks and steeper blues) within a couple hours of the resort opening. Heard a bit of grumbling from a few locals we spoke with regarding the puzzling over-grooming. Could zoom along pretty fast, though.

Solitude has some great, challenging runs that are blue and black. A couple of the blue runs would probably be labeled black at other resorts we've visited. If you're looking for steep terrain, they definitely have it. And after a dump, it's great fun on every run you can access. Off of the Summit Express lift, we enjoyed both the blues and the single blacks accessible from the gate at the top and the Woodlawn run. The top part of Woodlawn run, an access point for Honeycomb canyon, however, was closed after the snowfall due to avalanche danger for the rest of our trip. We could have accessed the canyon through another gate, but the drop was way too steep for us. :-) On our last day there, we joked that there must have been an unscheduled ski race starting from the top of the Summit Express lift. Straight lining seemed to be the technique of the day.

Would we return? As a destination for more than 3 or 4 days, probably not. I would estimate that most of the skiers were locals from the city (everyone we talked to was nice). If I was looking for a short, fun trip (knowing that it could be pretty crowded at times), I would consider returning due to the easy access from the airport and a direct flight from Atlanta, our home base.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the trip report!

You experienced Solitude at an unusually busy time. Three factors I can think of: 1) holiday week, 2) powder days, 3) people making use of Ikon passes for the first time.

Did you consider going over to Brighton for a day midweek?

Most of the people I know who fly from the southeast who ski Solitude for a day or two stay in the city. Usually motel in Sandy/Midvale. Often get a SLC Superpass for 4-5 days, which is good at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, or Brighton (1 per day). When the LCC road to Alta/Snowbird is closed, that pushes the locals and powder hound travelers to Solitude.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Well, we arrived before the holiday week and stayed for a few days after MLK day. It was crowded from the minute we arrived. Also checked out the SuperPass, but it would have put the tickets at $100 per day. By purchasing specific resort tickets ahead of time, we had the option to ski for less than $70 per day at a couple of different resorts. Nice deal. :-)
A ski instructor said that the resort has been growing more crowded in the last 3 years and seemed to be worse this year so far. A ski patroller chimed in and said that he agreed. As for the canyon road closures, while we were there the road to Solitude was closed one morning and a couple of hours for avalanche control another afternoon, but the road to Alta/Snowbird remained open except for one night.
The trail to Brighton from Solitude was closed and, according to the folks in the ski shop, rarely opens all season long. When we asked if it was worth driving or shuttling over to ski there for a day, we received 4 resounding 'No!' answers. Apparently, it sometimes takes the shuttle over 30 minutes to creep along the short distance between the resorts because traffic has gotten so bad. While we were there, Brighton actually halted ticket sales just after lunch one day because it was so crowded. (It was the Saturday of the MLK weekend.) I don't think we would have enjoyed skiing there. Maybe if we were boarders, it would have been worth because of the terrain parks.
We met 6 or 7 couples from the southeast while we were there and all were staying in the same condos we were. Once couple had been coming with their families for several year. It was good to see fellow southerners heading west to ski and talking with them about their experiences.
I suspect that the IKON pass may be contributing and maybe the growth of the Salt Lake City area also. The property manager said that the 6 properties she manages have been rented every day in January, February, and March since 2016. Maybe this means more people are becoming involved in winter sports and it will help the ski industry thrive.

Christy

Angel Diva
Over the years avoiding crowds has become my number one priority on the ski trip. It's probably not true to say I would never plan a trip to ski near a major metro area again, but it's also not something I anticipate doing. Western cities are all growing so much, and those passes like ikon have really affected resorts too. Luckily there are still resorts that for the moment at least are still fairly off the beaten path.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Over the years avoiding crowds has become my number one priority on the ski trip. It's probably not true to say I would never plan a trip to ski near a major metro area again, but it's also not something I anticipate doing. Western cities are all growing so much, and those passes like ikon have really affected resorts too. Luckily there are still resorts that for the moment at least are still fairly off the beaten path.
That's exactly what we base most of our planning on: least crowded, away from big city ski resorts. I'd love to visit Grand Targhee this spring (if only I could find someone to share costs) because I've been told that the resort has wonderful snow, polite boarders and skiers, and few crowds. We've decided safety is pretty much the highest priority when planning our annual trips as we get older.
Went to Whitefish last year and was quite surprised at how crowded the weekends were. Dangerously crowded. We skied with friends who retired there many years ago and neither will ski on weekends any longer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently, it sometimes takes the shuttle over 30 minutes to creep along the short distance between the resorts because traffic has gotten so bad. While we were there, Brighton actually halted ticket sales just after lunch one day because it was so crowded. (It was the Saturday of the MLK weekend.) I don't think we would have enjoyed skiing there. Maybe if we were boarders, it would have been worth because of the terrain parks.
Ah, didn't realize how many things get in BCC over a holiday weekend. My experience at Solitude and Brighton is mid-season, midweek, not a powder day. It's been a few years. Haven't been since the high speed Summit lift at Solitude was installed.

I suspect that the IKON pass may be contributing and maybe the growth of the Salt Lake City area also. The property manager said that the 6 properties she manages have been rented every day in January, February, and March since 2016. Maybe this means more people are becoming involved in winter sports and it will help the ski industry thrive.
Between what the Deer Valley owners did for Solitude before it was sold to Alterra, and the Ikon pass, I think there are far more people aware the Solitude does have a small village with slope side lodging. Honeycomb Canyon to be a local's secret.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went to Whitefish last year and was quite surprised at how crowded the weekends were. Dangerously crowded. We skied with friends who retired there many years ago and neither will ski on weekends any longer.
Not even Sundays? What dates were you here? I ski Sundays. Get there early and leave roughly at 1 or so. And I am highly crowd averse. I never ski Saturdays, however.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
We were there the first 2 weeks of January. Mountain management didn't have enough staff to operate a lift that accessed a wonderful part of the mountain with glade tree skiing while we were there. We skied the area our first 2 days and then it was closed the remainder of our trip. Our friends said that it can be a problem when a single lift is not open. And yes, after 10:30 on Sunday, the anthill looked like an, well, anthill. We quit by 11 and were disappointed to have such a short ski day. Since we only get one major ski trip a year, we try to make it count. So we snowshoed in Glacier, which made up for the days we didn't ski all day.

Last edited:

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Ah, didn't realize how many things get in BCC over a holiday weekend. My experience at Solitude and Brighton is mid-season, midweek, not a powder day. It's been a few years. Haven't been since the high speed Summit lift at Solitude was installed.

Between what the Deer Valley owners did for Solitude before it was sold to Alterra, and the Ikon pass, I think there are far more people aware the Solitude does have a small village with slope side lodging. Honeycomb Canyon to be a local's secret.
Honeycomb canyon at Solitide is definitely not a secret! Every single time we dropped off of Summit Express, there was a line of people waiting there to drop into the gates. Even mid-week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Honeycomb canyon at Solitide is definitely not a secret! Every single time we dropped off of Summit Express, there was a line of people waiting there to drop into the gates. Even mid-week.
The old lift to the Summit was sloooow. Making a loop to get back to Honeycomb when that meant riding at three lifts (up front canyon, down to base, up a lift, over to Summit chair, long ride) took a while. I only did it one but it must have taken at least 20 min even with no lift line.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were there the first 2 weeks of January. Mountain management didn't have enough staff to operate a lift that accessed a wonderful part of the mountain with glade tree skiing while we were there. We skied the area our first 2 days and then it was closed the remainder of our trip. Our friends said that it can be a problem when a single lift is not open. And yes, after 10:30 on Sunday, the anthill looked like an, well, anthill. We quit by 11 and were disappointed to have such a short ski day. Since we only get one major ski trip a year, we try to make it count. So we snowshoed in Glacier, which made up for the days we didn't ski all day.
Are you talking about Big Foot T-bar? That's never (at last in the last ten or more years that I've lived here) been open except weekends (or if other lifts are closed because of conditions) and it says so on their maps. Big Foot is frequently open during Christmas week midweek, but not normally. I do not recall any time that Flower Point wasn't open since it's been installed. Maybe you're talking the old chair 5, which wasn't opened for three years at all before they moved it and before that was only open during Christmas week. That terrain was accessible from Chair 1. But they moved that lift before the 17-18 season.

It is possible to avoid the Ant Hill. It's only an issue if you want to lap Chair 7. But I do hate that thing myself. Unless it looks like it did yesterday.
51697027_10156916207122488_7333150040757633024_o.jpg

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I'm envious of the uncrowded conditions!
Chair 4 last year was the one that was closed. And we expected the t-bar to be closed because of the heads up our friends gave us.
Still, if I had an inexpensive (but nice and oh so clean) place to stay, I would head back there in March for a few days. It's just so gorgeous there. And people were really nice.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The terrain under Chair 4 (mostly Langley and Friends of Langley) is accessible from Chair 1, you just have to ski other stuff first. 4 is generally open Christmas week and if Chair 1 is not operating. But, it's marked on the maps with a dotted line for "limited operation". It is so slow that you'd need a minimum 7 minute lift line on Chair 1 to come out even, I've timed it. I ride it maybe once every three years. There's no bar or footrest, it's HIGH, and it's slow. I used to sneak over to it during Christmas week, but that was before I got a chair that was a bit tipped forward. I was alone, it's a triple so you have to sit in the middle, and I was clinging desperately to the chair back the entire ride. Now I just don't go during Christmas week.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
LOL! The image you paint of your ride on the chair sounds pretty exhilarating (but not in the best way).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Would we return? As a destination for more than 3 or 4 days, probably not. I would estimate that most of the skiers were locals from the city (everyone we talked to was nice). If I was looking for a short, fun trip (knowing that it could be pretty crowded at times), I would consider returning due to the easy access from the airport and a direct flight from Atlanta, our home base.
Did you use a multi-resort pass for this trip? If so, was it Ikon?

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
No, the Ikon pass or other multi resort passes didn't line up with our travel schedule for ski trips this year. And buying the Salt Lake city pass would have cost us more per day than buying tickets to Solitude and Alta ahead of time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No, the Ikon pass or other multi resort passes didn't line up with our travel schedule for ski trips this year. And buying the Salt Lake city pass would have cost us more per day than buying tickets to Solitude and Alta ahead of time.
Ah, now I remember you mentioned that. I have friends who get tickets to Alta from Liftopia for the annual alumni gathering that I attend during late season. It's one of the few MCP locations that still has that option.

There will probably be discussion about the multi-resort pass options for 2019-20 starting soon. Here's what was going on about a year ago when it was very unclear exactly what Alterra would be creating for 2018-19. I know people who live in DC or Atlanta who got Ikon for a trip or two out west and also used it at Snowshoe.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/multi-ski-area-pass-comparison.22583/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna