• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Solitude Resort, UT

marzNC

Angel Diva
What about (what looks to me like) the back way from Murray (where I'm staying) to Deer Valley? Is that an easier drive?
What do you mean by "back way"? During the winter, have to take the Interstate highway from SLC to Park City. It's an easy drive and very rarely any issues with snow on the road. A main reason Park City has so much more lodging available is that Parley's Canyon is much wider and flatter than LCC or BCC. A few parking decks near downtown Park City. But locals use the bus system.

In general, traffic in the SLC is NOTHING like around Chicago. There is rush hour traffic but easy to avoid during a ski trip. The city streets were laid out in a grid and include wide avenues. And no low bridges with train tracks like in the older parts of Chicago

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess the Ski Utah marketing campaign has paid off------for the resorts. I do attribute some of this to the IKON, especially BCC woes. The volume of passes sold far exceed the infrastructure of the little canyons to support that volume.

As I said earlier---it's not sustainable, something will have to give. And with 'global warming', the wasatch back resorts will have shorter seasons, forcing more to the higher altitude resorts as well.

And they keep building massive hotels to bring in more people. I'm grateful I had a few decades of Utah skiing before the madness.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you and @dloveski attribute that to IKON and Epic? I have the feeling the multi mountain passes have increased traffic where I ski.
Last season, Snowbasin was on the Mountain Collective, so yes, I do attribute a lot of the added traffic to that, PLUS the spillover of IKON/Epic sending more locals to Snowbasin who grew fed up with the crowds at their local resorts. This year, Snowbasin will be on the Epic pass, and I'm rather dreading it.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about (what looks to me like) the back way from Murray (where I'm staying) to Deer Valley? Is that an easier drive?

I assume by 'back way' you mean freeway? The road connecting Brighton/BCC and Park City is a back way---but not during the winter, it is not plowed. So be sure not to rely on that road called Guardsman.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I assume by 'back way' you mean freeway? The road connecting Brighton/BCC and Park City is a back way---but not during the winter, it is not plowed. So be sure not to rely on that road called Guardsman.

I love looking for hotels that make it look as though you can stay one place and go eight or nine miles to Park City! Not exactly!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
No, I realize it’s not that close, but if the canyons are bad, it seems that the highway may be better. Maybe the way to go is to leave at 6am and eat breakfast up there. Maybe I’ll meet someone to ski with!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
No, I realize it’s not that close, but if the canyons are bad, it seems that the highway may be better. Maybe the way to go is to leave at 6am and eat breakfast up there. Maybe I’ll meet someone to ski with!
Meaning, I’ll ski in Deer Valley instead of In the canyons or leave early for the canyons. I’m flexi.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I guess the Ski Utah marketing campaign has paid off . . .
While Ski Utah does a good job, I learned about Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Brighton, and Solitude from ski forums. Had never heard of any of them when I took my daughter to Alta for the first time in 2008. Even on SkiSE where I first lurked, there was talk about using the SuperPass for long weekend trips to SLC based on saying in cheap motels in Sandy/Midval and taking the UTA bus if the canyons roads were too snowy.

Ski Utah has started the list of Opening Dates. Solitude and Alta have Nov. 23 as their target. Snowbird and Brighton haven't decide to commit to a date yet. Deer Valley opens on Dec. 7, a bit later per usual presumably because they want good coverage based on snowmaking on enough groomers to make their season passholders happy. Park City wants to be first to open and it going for Friday, Nov. 22.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly