• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Solar Power for Homes

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'd say it depends on the conversation when they first asked...if it was a direct request and you said, "I'll think about it and get back to you" or if they said "let us know once you have a chance to think about it". I would reach out and let them know you decided against it. But, if they left it open ended or it was just a casual "would you ever consider removing that tree" conversation, just wait until the opportunity presents itself.
No idea, really, they approached my husband. I’ll have to check and see if he even paid enough attention to remember.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Sounds like laziness/cheapness in terms of not getting a surveyor out there. Even here in the city where we are all close to each other, I've known many people surprised at the results of a survey. Then of course you have to decide whether it's worth "taking" that extra foot or two of property that is legally yours, but you and your neighbor never knew that. My neighbors 2 and 3 doors down just dealt with that--both parties assumed the edge of the retaining wall in the front yard, with which the fence was aligned, was the property line, but nope.

Cutting, topping or girdling trees then pretending it's the tree company's fault, or saying you thought it was your property, occasionally makes big headlines here. Since we are a hilly city surrounded by water and mountains people love their views and will occasionally take illegal actions to cut trees on others' or public property to preserve or obtain those views. There was just an instance of this in the news a few days ago. Sometimes it's just awful and egregious, like the retired judge who cut 120 maple and cherry trees in an adjacent park to improve his view, or the West Seattle homeowners that cleared an acre of trees on a landslide-prone slope above a busy street to improve theirs. Massive public outrage always follows. The fines run in the hundreds of thousands, though that can't make up for the damage.
We had a neighbor at our WI cabin post nasty notes that we are "trespassing and have to move our septic system." What that neighbor didn't anticipate was that I'm a former urban planner/mapmaker and knew very well what the property lines were bc I read plats of survey before purchase and when getting county permit for our septic contractor. To be safe, I had our land re-surveyed and REGISTERED WITH THE COUNTY (sometimes developers and contractors don't take this step. It is worth doing!) and well-marked with pipes/stakes in the ground. She also had her lot surveyed. The surveyor had to break it to her that she was nearly 100 feet off from where she thought her property line was (she inherited the land from her parents.) I wrote a very cordial letter to her stating "I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding on your part, let's be peaceful neighbors, etc." (Secretly, though I was totally gloating :becky:)
Facts are your friends.

Jilly

Staff member
That gives you lots of shade. I'd try to keep it!! And they are going to need a pro to take that down. That's not a 1 cut and done deal.

Christy

Angel Diva
Neighbors sure have power to make our lives miserable (or great). The long time, somewhat shabby rental next door to me--close enough we could hop roof to roof--is being sold. The owner, who moved long ago, promised, after 2 of us begged, not to sell to a developer. But it's being listed for $890k, which around here puts in firmly in teardown territory. Which would mean it would be replaced with a big gross box that likely would block all my western sun. I guess we'll have to see how determined he is not to sell to a developer when one offers him a pile of cash. Hopefully the other piles of cash, from people who will live in it, will prevail.

Christy

Angel Diva
Isn't that absurd? And so wasteful. Certainly not always, but that's the price point where it's possible for a somewhat shabby/dated house. My other neighbors have friends who've been looking for a fixer and they tried to buy it for a lower price before it was listed, but no dice.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@Christy .... yikes. the house to our north is similar. For a while, husband was interested in maybe buying it if the owners would sell, but after over a decade of watching how they maintain it, I'm guessing it will have to be a tear down. :noidea:

newboots

Angel Diva
Back to the tree pic for a minute…That is an absolutely gorgeous tree! Can’t tell much about the husband :wink:

My first thought was, “Oh, he shaved his mustache!” Now I know damn well your avatar is /ahem/ a couple of decades back. But somehow I was nevertheless looking for the guy with the mop of dark brown hair and the mustache!

Jenny

Angel Diva
My first thought was, “Oh, he shaved his mustache!” Now I know damn well your avatar is /ahem/ a couple of decades back. But somehow I was nevertheless looking for the guy with the mop of dark brown hair and the mustache!
Avatar is me and my dad, circa 1974/75! DH actually does have a mustache, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly