• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what's going to happen next season?

Christy

Angel Diva
@MissySki is it in an area that is nice to go to regardless of the downhill skiing? I think it would be nice just to have a place of your own to get out of town, regardless of resort activities.

Christy

Angel Diva
I spent the weekend reading too much about the economic situation, and what may or may not happen but what smart people think will happen, and inflation and deflation, projected unemployment, etc etc. At this point I will be thrilled with anything less than Depression-like economic numbers, regardless of the skiing or lack thereof.

(Not trying to minimize the potential absence of our favorite winter sport. Just publicizing my own anxiety!).

Jilly

Staff member
The Province of Ontario is allowing most of the province to enter Stage 3 reopening. My gym will be open for personal training, but not classes. Which is fine, I'd rather do the PT. We will also be allowed to eat indoors. All this happens on Friday.

But most areas, basically from Toronto east have mask policies for indoor spaces. So indoor eating should be interesting. We can also have 50 people at a gathering, but must social distance 6ft too. Social bubble is still 10.

So still no Dragon Boat as that social distancing clause is still there.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki is it in an area that is nice to go to regardless of the downhill skiing? I think it would be nice just to have a place of your own to get out of town, regardless of resort activities.

Yeah, it's at Sunday River in Maine so plenty of things to do in the beautiful outdoors. I just wouldn't be as likely to want to pay the on mountain seasonal price if I can't access lift serviced skiing whenever I want to haha. Though I could still skin to ski, or snowshoe from my door, go rent cross country skis or a fat bike down the road, do some winter hiking, etc. I'm trying to be hopeful that there will be a good amount of the regular season, and hoping that if there have to be capacity restrictions for passholders that it's only very early season when terrain is limited. Time will tell though..

Ugh yeah, the economic piece is certainly scary to analyze.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Province of Ontario is allowing most of the province to enter Stage 3 reopening. My gym will be open for personal training, but not classes. Which is fine, I'd rather do the PT. We will also be allowed to eat indoors. All this happens on Friday.

But most areas, basically from Toronto east have mask policies for indoor spaces. So indoor eating should be interesting. We can also have 50 people at a gathering, but must social distance 6ft too. Social bubble is still 10.

So still no Dragon Boat as that social distancing clause is still there.

We've had indoor dining for a couple of weeks now I believe. You have to wear your mask on the way in and out and if you are moving around in the restaurant, but when seated you don't have to. I'm completely steering clear of this stuff still, no desire to dine in an enclosed space with strangers regardless of table distances etc.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I’m finally close to signing a lease for a seasonal rental for next season. Waiting on the final revision of the document to come through at the end of this week for me to approve. It’s been hard deciding whether to proceed on this with so much uncertainty. I was at least pleasantly surprised that everyone I’ve spoken to in my rental search was fully willing to include a “pandemic clause” in their leases to account for closures that could affect all or part of the season. So there’s that. I’ll also be on mountain which allows me to completely forego using lodges in any way including the restroom if things are dicey. I also wanted to avoid having to deal with parking lots if there are restrictions on capacity overall etc. I do still have concern over whether there will be lotteries or reservations required for passholders, but that’s just a big unknown in terms of what it would look like at any given mountain so I’m trying not to speculate too much on that part yet. Boyne has specifically said they are trying to avoid passholder restrictions, which is why they have taken passes off sale until they reassess where things stand in the fall. So fingers crossed..

@MissySki Did you get the impression that they were getting as many confirmed rentals as usual? I haven’t gotten in touch with my landlady yet. As I recall her son was supposed to be getting married this month. I just don’t know whether it was supposed to be in Aspen or New York or Maine or Vermont! Who knows what happened with that!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki Did you get the impression that they were getting as many confirmed rentals as usual? I haven’t gotten in touch with my landlady yet. As I recall her son was supposed to be getting married this month. I just don’t know whether it was supposed to be in Aspen or New York or Maine or Vermont! Who knows what happened with that!

It seems to me that there was more left on the market for inventory than normal years at this time. That being said, it’s more for off mountain options than on mountain rentals which went quickly as they came on the market. The one I’m doing is a rental from a personal referral to an owner who they knew wanted to rent privately versus through an agency. People are also buying like crazy, there are no studio or 1 bedroom units available for sale on mountain right now, which is frustrating! Off mountain is quite scarce for purchasing as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's some info from an email sent out by Steamboat last week about the winter season.

To our valued Steamboat family:
All of us at Steamboat know that there are countless questions about the upcoming winter ski season. While we wish we had more answers for you, we can assure you the health and safety of our employees, guests and community are foremost in every decision we make as we prepare for the 20/21 season.
Steamboat is dedicated to providing the same memorable mountain experiences this winter, as we have for the past 58 years. Winter is what brings us together. It is the season that defines us, that we are most passionate about and that we are looking forward to the most.
As regulations and guidelines change for our state and county, we continue to adapt. We have created protocols and procedures across the resort (including the mountain, base area and at the Steamboat Grand Hotel) that exceed the current guidelines and will update them as needed. Guests can read the complete details here.
While the winter season is still more than four months away, every day we are preparing, analyzing and planning for a variety of winter scenarios with considerations including social distancing, limited capacity and other appropriate responses to COVID-19. Using current guidelines as our foundation, we are working with the entire Alterra Mountain Company family to explore and develop systems, usable across the company’s portfolio of destinations, that make the mountains accessible. Below are just some of the ways we are preparing for new operations:
  • Advanced reservations systems for mountain access when necessary
  • Contactless ordering and payment at our restaurants and retail outlets
  • Reconfiguration of lift access along with maze management
  • Social distancing protocols including SnowSports School lesson sizes
  • Expanded outdoor dining options
  • Technology solutions to minimize person to person contact
  • Voluntary free COVID-19 testing available for employees
  • Partnerships with health entities and strategic alliances with resort partners for best practices for health and cleanliness getting to, arriving and while at Steamboat Ski Resort
  • Our goal is to assess solutions and fast track those ideas to do the absolute best to provide the winter vacations that are so important to all of us.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ski resorts are sending out surveys to see how people feel about the upcoming season. If you aren't on the email list for a favorite resort, it might be worth signing up even if you aren't planning to go this winter. It's not that hard to unsubscribe later.

So far, I've gotten survey requests from Jackson Hole, Steamboat, and I think Alta.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ski resorts are sending out surveys to see how people feel about the upcoming season. If you aren't on the email list for a favorite resort, it might be worth signing up even if you aren't planning to go this winter. It's not that hard to unsubscribe later.

So far, I've gotten survey requests from Jackson Hole, Steamboat, and I think Alta.

I've done one for Sunday River and Jackson Hole so far. I agree, sign up and let your voices be heard ladies! They are planning to do another round after this as well, so they can learn how people's feelings change as we move forward.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Steamboat is the first week of December and Telluride (my favorite mountain) is Martin Luther King week; I'm not holding my breath on either. At least I've been to both multiple times before....
Sigh...

marzNC

Angel Diva
When are the trips that require flying?
I know you weren't asking me . . . I have ski trip plans in 2021 for February and April. However, the backup plan would be to drive since I don't have time constraints because I'm retired.

I did a driving trip up to Lake Placid in late June. It was well worth the effort. I know the route well so that made it easier to know where to stop for gas and restrooms along the way. Discovered a great new place for a take out lunch near Scranton on the way home.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know you weren't asking me . . . I have ski trip plans in 2021 for February and April. However, the backup plan would be to drive since I don't have time constraints because I'm retired.

I did a driving trip up to Lake Placid in late June. It was well worth the effort. I know the route well so that made it easier to know where to stop for gas and restrooms along the way. Discovered a great new place for a take out lunch near Scranton on the way home.

Definitely good to have that backup potential! Right now my plan is Sunday River and Wachusett. No plans for a Western trip at the moment since I wouldn’t be willing to fly unless there was a significant change in the overall situation. Would also worry about being able to have guaranteed skiing for specific days of a trip until we know how that will all work at various resorts.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I definitely do not want to drive two days each way, but that is my backup plan for VT stopping at a friend's home each way. My car will go a long way before fuel, so minimalizing the stops. I thought about a compartment on the train that goes through here, but I'd have to change trains in NYC...
:nono:

Jilly

Staff member
Friends of mine, put their SUV on the train and themselves from Florida to DC. Loved not having to drive. Except the transport cars derailed outside of Washington...

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I missed Alta, but Boyne also sent a survey to pass holders of Big Sky. It came around the time they stopped selling passes, circa mid-June.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly