• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what do you think of the plan to make Daylight Savings Time permanent?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I don't think it's a great idea. Granted, I'm one of the very few who like it when it gets dark early. And I'm also a (very) early riser. But if we don't change the clocks, it'll be pitch black when we go out to ski in the winter, probably staying dark til even around 9.

What do you think?

altagirl

Staff member
Personally, I don't think it's a great idea. Granted, I'm one of the very few who like it when it gets dark early. And I'm also a (very) early riser. But if we don't change the clocks, it'll be pitch black when we go out to ski in the winter, probably staying dark til even around 9.

What do you think?
I'd think it would result in a change in resort hours out west anyway. They can't do avalanche control work in the dark...

I don't think I'd mind too much - though I'm with you being an early riser. I kind of wish it went the other way but... it does seem like an unnecessary hassle to change the clocks.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in favor of it overall I guess. Pros and cons to everything, though. I hate switching back and forth. I agree that it'll likely change resort hours to a later opening and closing, at least out west. I am not a morning person so I welcome the slightly later start and additional evening daylight.

The Washington Post recently posted this graphic showing how the time change would affect sunrise times. If it passes it'll be interesting to see if some states vote to change time zones? If that's a thing? Looking at the UP of Michigan for example.

IMG_8643.png

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I think it’s weird. Like, why make DST permanent and not standard time? So arbitrary and kind of silly. Same as when they messed with it under GWB and made the DST portion of the year longer. Why? Arbitrary.

We live in a region where the latest sunrise will be around 8 am, which is manageable for our situation, and we’ll get more daylight in the evening, which I suppose will be nice, as opposed to our current pre-5 pm sunset in the winter. But I struggle with the randomness of it all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I expect businesses will adjust as needed.

Still think it's weird that the entire country of China is one time zone. But like people who live on the Pacific coast but do business with east coasters, the business people adjust their daily schedule to match up better with people who lives thousands of miles away. My good friend with a small trucking company is up at 4am during the work week and in the office working by 6am PT because that's 9am ET.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I think people are underestimating how miserable it's going to be to spend hours in the dark in the morning while getting your day started. The days are short in a lot of the US in the winter -- whether we're talking about the sun setting at 4:15pm or rising at 9am, someone's going to be unhappy.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Yup, people won't agree on which is better - standard or daylight time. But whatever, it doesn't change the amount of actual daylight hours we have and personally I'd prefer to have the light later in the day. I HATE it when it's dark at 4 pm in December. Mind you, I suppose I'd hate it when it's still dark at 8 am. A lot depends on where in the time zone you're situated. I do agree that staying on one or the other all year would be preferable and agree it's totally stupid to change twice a year. (And we just changed about four months ago, no?)

Am I correct in thinking that everywhere in the world gets the same amount of daylight hours over the course of the year? At the equator it's more 12 and 12, whereas at the poles it can be 24 and 0.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm old enough that I remember when this was tried way back during the oil crisis in the 1970's. Didn't work then. If I recall, a number of kids walking to school in the dark were hit by cars. There was such an uproar that it was rescinded.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, I don't understand the big inconvenience it is to change the clocks. I don't find it an issue at all. I'd rather they just left everything as it is now.
But if they insist on picking one time over the other, DST or ST I'd rather it be DST since I like having the extra light in the evening--esp in the summer months. I hate standard time.
I think I would cry if it got dark earlier even during the summer. I would just hate it.
But I do think it will be an issue for ski areas---I mean the sun will just be rising at 8am in the east some of the time, so that is when a lot of resorts open . . . .

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally I prefer DST if that is the option as I am worthless after the sun sets in winter. Selfish, I know.

Either way i spend 3 hrs in the dark getting my day going so an extra hour is not a big deal.

The JH patrol starts bombing in the pitch black at 5:45 to 6 am already so the change would not be significant.

It would actually give a bit more daylight time at the end of the ski day but the first lift would be in the twilight at 8:30 am. I would have time to walk the dogs without a headlamp after work. Bonus!

I would personally love to not have to adjust my teaching plan for spring skiing morning starts which I have to make every March. The snow thaws later in the morning delating the starts.

I have an opinion, but also happy to go with the flow that keeps the most people healthy and safe. In this case it sounds like strokes and MIs versus kids and motor vehicle accidents. Not a nice choice to have to make.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Am I correct in thinking that everywhere in the world gets the same amount of daylight hours over the course of the year? At the equator it's more 12 and 12, whereas at the poles it can be 24 and 0.

Yes (kind of)! I went down this Wikipedia rabbit hole early in the pandemic. There are some variations because our orbit isn't a perfect circle and a few other things, but everywhere on earth gets roughly the same amount of daylight hours over the course of a year, it's just a question of how they're distributed.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Let's just split it halfway down the middle and confuse the rest of the world!

Seriously, though, I want stable time year-round, and maybe more flexible school/work hours adjusted based on the portion of each timezone you're in & how far north/south. Plants follow the sun anyhow; wish we were still on a "farm schedule" ;)

Jilly

Staff member
Like Ski Diva - mentioned...kids walking to school or taking buses. Rural areas are not going to like it.

So far Canada has not said anything. It's being discussed in the media for sure.

Add in the fact that Sask, doesn't change. Only province that doesn't.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't mind the time switch. I don't know who all these people are whose sleep is disrupted only by the twice-a-year change instead of by basically everything else, lol.

And it will likely make crowding at ski resorts worse -- if they don't open till ten I lose my competitive advantage of having been up since five.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I’m not a morning person so I want every time change to be ”fall back” lol. I don’t care which, just pick one and stick to it. I hate the switching back and forth. I’ve lived in Europe where the sun doesn’t set till after 10 in the summer and always setting in the winter. Never bothered me.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I am all for it.
I grew up in a country where we did not have the time change. For me, it is a strange culture to do so.
It is natural to be darker in the early morning in winter. You will fell much more seasons this way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly