• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So now that you're not skiing......

Honestly that's what terrifies me about owning a house,, particularly an older house with some acreage. My sister and brother in law are doing a remodel now and that's what they do every weekend. I like to get out and do things or even just chill in my backyard. The last thing I want to be doing every weekend is home maintenance and projects.

I am not knocking anyone who does this but it scares me because I don't want to have to do this stuff every weekend. @MaineSkiLady You guys bust your buts all summer long and I admire you guys. My coworker said the best "diet/workout" is buy a house because you have to work on it and do stuff. At least you get to "relax" when winter comes :smile:. Your reward is you get to live where you do and ski in an awesome place like Sunday River with other places not far away.

I guess I am feeling selfish because I want to ski all winter and play all summer and not have to do house stuff. I am sure the day will come when DH retires and we move somewhere and buy something but I am still scared of the sacrifices of our time.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly that's what terrifies me about owning a house,, particularly an older house with some acreage. My sister and brother in law are doing a remodel now and that's what they do every weekend. I like to get out and do things or even just chill in my backyard. The last thing I want to be doing every weekend is home maintenance and projects.

DH and I bought a relatively new house in 2004 (built in 1998), and our house has been fine with minimal work. The hardest part is keeping on top of weeds, which are the devil, and I always fail in that task. We replaced the carpet with hardwood floors, which means we don't have to deal with replacing carpet again in 10 years. We've replaced some appliances and had a gas line run from the basement into the kitchen so we could have a gas stove top ... best use of $300 in the history of ever. Just had a handyman out to fix up the texturing and staining around a few waterstains after we had the roof leaks fixed. This is over 12 years of home ownership.

If you don't want a lot of maintenance: get a house that's fairly new, but not brand new, because then you have to do all the landscaping and planting. And if you have more money than time (or inclination), you can pay people to do just about anything around the house or lawn.

_steener

Diva in Training
I run an outdoor pool in the summer, so that keeps me pretty busy! When I have the time, I spend it on the trails with my bike or out in my kayak! Being outside is always the best :smile:

_steener

Diva in Training
@_steener Welcome to the forum! You are in good company. Most of us prefer spending time outside. Where do you usually ski?
Thanks so much! I'm north of you! I'm from Ontario in Canada. Unfortunately, southern Ontario doesn't have a ton to offer. I used to race, teach, and coach out of a small hill called Chicopee. I get around to some of the bigger hills when I can.

Best trip I've been on by far was to Killington in Vermont though!

I'm trying to figure out where to plan my next ski trip. My race team wants to do a reunion next winter!

mustski

Angel Diva
@_steener We have some Divas from your neck of the woods. @Jilly can definitely make some suggestions. I grew up in Montreal - learned to ski in the Laurentians and Vermont via Rod Roy Ski Club. I have been in So California since 1978 though - so I'm a Cali girl now. Get up to 25 posts before ski season starts. That way you'll be able to see the Diva's only section which includes the "meet on the hill" threads.

Jilly

Staff member
Ah KW....I'm a Guelph grad.....you should try living in the other end of the province. 2+ hours for anything over 300ft. I did teach at a small bump too, but venture to Tremblant for some big hill experience. Bravosarah spends a lot of time at Blue. I'm going to be Calabogie and Tremblant this year I think. Need to use my lake side place this winter. 1 1/2hr to Calabogie from there.

And before anyone asks.....no news on my surgery yet. I did phone both surgeons to make sure they had the referral.

@bounceswoosh great idea for when we buy a house. Thank you.

@_steener Welcome! :smile:

Williamstown is a beautiful place. Our motel us right next to a stream and right down the street f4om the Vermont border. We are only 40 miles from Mount Snow so we are going to scope out the lift served mountain biking and see what its all about. I am excited.

_steener

Diva in Training
Ah KW....I'm a Guelph grad.....you should try living in the other end of the province. 2+ hours for anything over 300ft. I did teach at a small bump too, but venture to Tremblant for some big hill experience. Bravosarah spends a lot of time at Blue. I'm going to be Calabogie and Tremblant this year I think. Need to use my lake side place this winter. 1 1/2hr to Calabogie from there.

And before anyone asks.....no news on my surgery yet. I did phone both surgeons to make sure they had the referral.

I try to avoid the crazy people at Blue. I'm lucky to get up to Osler as much as I can. My mom used to be on the ski patrol there, so we have friends that sign us in :smile:
I spent a lot of time in Collingwood while racing. Still haven't ventured to Tremblant though! It's definitely on the to-do list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly