• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So now that you're not skiing......

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's an app (of course there is) called T-0, where it counts up/down the days, hours, minutes to a set date. I have 2 dates set:
1. My start date at my job--9 years 254 days 00 hours 14 minutes...
2. Mammoth opening day

SkiBam

Angel Diva
@mustski,
Just spent 8 days doing a flooring removal and full replacement, down to the sub-floor - including discovery of previous water damage (not on our “watch”) and some black mold that had to be addressed (i.e., rip out the drywall). 5 day job turned into 8 due to these fun surprises. Had to replace all the baseboards as well - not planned. Finally wrapped it up afternoon of 7/4.

Project #2 down (#1 was concrete repair and resurfacing), on to the next: driveway crack fill and seal.

All these people with leisure time! Envious. For some homeowners, it never ends - and summer is a short span in which to get it done.

I hear ya, MSL. Keeping a house in good shape is a never-ending task. I've been doing "exciting" things like having the carpets cleaned, having the trees limbed so some sun gets through (it seems this needs to be done every year - I have A LOT of trees), replacing the toilets, etc. etc.

Finally, in the past couple of days, it's been warm enough to sit outside once the sun goes down. But sheesh, it's been cool and not all that summery. Bring on some heat, I say!

I know one of these days we'll own a house but right now I am grateful our weekends are open slates doing fun stuff without being tied down to a house. That being said I do look forward to the day when we own because we'll have bigger space, a garage, dishwasher and a dog :smile:. My sister and brother in law are completely renovating their home and that is what they do every weekend, not sure this is for me.

I am really looking forward to Yoga tonight. I think all my weeks of yoga/pilates are paying off because I notice it when I do other activities. When I run I feel more exuberant. When I do the ab exercises where you hang extending your arms and holding your torso up while lifting your lower body up to a plank is much easier for me these days. I have also been practicing tree when standing in line anywhere, my balance is feeling so much better on each foot. Can't wait to see the positive effects on my skiing this coming season.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I've been practicing yoga and trying to get my 10k steps per day. I just booked our Christmas break trip to Stratton, and all relevant season passes have been procured (both at our local mountain, and our home-away-from-home mountain.)

Is it autumn yet?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I do the ab exercises where you hang extending your arms and holding your torso up while lifting your lower body up to a plank is much easier for me these days.

I can't picture this - can you find an image?

@bounceswoosh

I am probably not describing it very well either. Its kind of like this picture but instead of bending the knees I keep my legs straight and lift them up keeping the legs together. The machine I use has more elbow room so I can grab onto the handles and have my lower arm fully resting on it to provide more upper body support

hanging-knee-raise.jpg

Mainly since I've been doing a lot of yoga/pilates that these types of exercises are so much easier for me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've been doing "exciting" things like having the carpets cleaned, having the trees limbed so some sun gets through (it seems this needs to be done every year - I have A LOT of trees), replacing the toilets, etc. etc.
Sounds familiar. Years ago, we got a Bissell rug cleaner, and it has earned its keep. By September, the last of my living areas will be carpet-free! When we moved here, we invested in a gas-powered pole trimmer so we could do a lot of our own tree limb cutting. Have taken about 35 trees out of the wood lot, but anything over +-60 ft and within “range” of anything structural gets handed to neighbor down the road, who is an arborist and owns a tree service. He drops, we cut and haul. And have replaced all 3 toilets herein....nice to be married to an “educated plumber” : )

Alas, carpentry is not his forte, so these floor jobs are.....s...l...o...w... We are absolutely in overdrive every year until 2nd week of November - then I close the door to the immediate outdoors (except for prepping 2 snow blowers!) and say, “Bring on winter!”

There is, to say the least, minimal down time.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh

I am probably not describing it very well either. Its kind of like this picture but instead of bending the knees I keep my legs straight and lift them up keeping the legs together. The machine I use has more elbow room so I can grab onto the handles and have my lower arm fully resting on it to provide more upper body support

View attachment 4099

Mainly since I've been doing a lot of yoga/pilates that these types of exercises are so much easier for me.

Now I understand! I was somehow picturing you starting from a mat and yeah, complete befuddlement!

Now I understand! I was somehow picturing you starting from a mat and yeah, complete befuddlement!

Yeah befuddlement. DH is very familiar with this term as he often says to me "what are you talking about". I think I either have a very unique way of describing things or english is really my second language ha ha.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah befuddlement. DH is very familiar with this term as he often says to me "what are you talking about". I think I either have a very unique way of describing things or english is really my second language ha ha.

In this case, it was because you mentioned a plank ... which is usually like, a pushup position ...

So very excited. Next 3 weekends are occupied with trips. Next weekend we are headed up to the berkshires to our ski town for some outlet shopping, dining at our favorite restaurant and just some driving around, maybe a little off roading. Following weekend is a camping trip with 3 friends and the following weekend is vermont for the weekend at our friends house including the diva east gathering :smile: Fun 3 weekends and then it will be August yay.

Of course I have to get through the next few days at work where we have a new General Counsel starting; a new fearless leader so we are all a little nervous. Not sure if he skis but I need to at some point let him know I do and would appreciate liberties from November until May when I need to leave early on a friday or take a friday/monday off. Gotta train the boss ya know :smile:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vacuuming Sand.

Despite living "at the beach" and all of us in the water year round, seems that when DD starts Junior Lifeguards sand is deposited everywhere and I am constantly vacuuming up piles.
Have taken up trail walk/run - rotate thru several nearby 3mi+ 1000 ft+ vert climb trails. For some reason the trails seem easier on my body than pavement. Surf has been inconsistent as far as summer swells, had fun this weekend w/ double go outs, hopefully next hurricane will bring some bigger waves. Need to get back on roller blades. Garden is just starting to produce, started late this year.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trails are supposed to be easier on your body than pavement, so that makes sense. Softer.

Heading up to western Massachusetts tomorrow to our home ski area. Just a little weekend trip for something to do. We are going to do a taste testing of ginger libation at the gypsy joint to see if we still like it and then if so we'll go buy a case of it at Trader Moes. We can get it down here but since we'll be up that way. Then do some shopping at the outlets at Lee and head back to Great Barrington for dinner at Baba Louies for some yummy pizza and salad. We are staying in Williamstown which is a bit north but still considered the berkshires. Might drive up to Vermont since we won't be that far. Just tool around on sunday and maybe take the long way back on sunday. We may do some hiking but it is supposed to be 91 on sunday so I have to see how it is outside.

I start to get a little antsy this time of year so like a road trip to break things up a little bit.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Heading up to western Massachusetts tomorrow to our home ski area. Just a little weekend trip for something to do. We are going to do a taste testing of ginger libation at the gypsy joint to see if we still like it and then if so we'll go buy a case of it at Trader Moes. We can get it down here but since we'll be up that way. Then do some shopping at the outlets at Lee and head back to Great Barrington for dinner at Baba Louies for some yummy pizza and salad. We are staying in Williamstown which is a bit north but still considered the berkshires. Might drive up to Vermont since we won't be that far. Just tool around on sunday and maybe take the long way back on sunday. We may do some hiking but it is supposed to be 91 on sunday so I have to see how it is outside.

I start to get a little antsy this time of year so like a road trip to break things up a little bit.

My daughter went to Williams College, so we used to go to Williamstown all the time! If you like art and have the time, be sure to check out the Clark Art Institute. For its size, it has a surprisingly large collection of grand masters. Truly worth visiting.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just a little weekend trip for something to do.
:faint:

Just wait until/if you have a big old house and some acreage....

Due to DH being on business trip this past week, the whole maintenance show has been in my lap. That slated 5-day floor replacement project turned into 8 - why should we be surprised, consider the source....So now we know what to budget time-wise for the second floor to get same treatment.

In the interim, I take a deep breath before starting on the back porch (afternoon work only due to sun) - strip, sand, prime, paint - front porch (not the whole thing, thank goodness) and painting one interior room - before we go for the big floor replacement job in Sept. In between, 4 cords of wood will arrive.

Is it November yet? No? Darn. :doh: That’s when I can finally REST. All these people with fun hobbies and recreation....we grab some in between projects. Not much.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:faint:

Just wait until/if you have a big old house and some acreage....

Due to DH being on business trip this past week, the whole maintenance show has been in my lap. That slated 5-day floor replacement project turned into 8 - why should we be surprised, consider the source....So now we know what to budget time-wise for the second floor to get same treatment.

In the interim, I take a deep breath before starting on the back porch (afternoon work only due to sun) - strip, sand, prime, paint - front porch (not the whole thing, thank goodness) and painting one interior room - before we go for the big floor replacement job in Sept. In between, 4 cords of wood will arrive.

Is it November yet? No? Darn. :doh: That’s when I can finally REST. All these people with fun hobbies and recreation....we grab some in between projects. Not much.

Seems like you guys are constantly working on your house. Surely you don't have something on the scale of a floor replacement every year?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Seems like you guys are constantly working on your house. Surely you don't have something on the scale of a floor replacement every year?
Don't.Even.Ask.
Well, you did.
Answer is Yes. Some years, Yes Plus.
If I made a list (actually, I do have one, with receipts etc), it would exhaust me just to read it - and remember.
And, no - we had no clue what we were getting into.
Wow.
But, yeah, it's big: 12 rooms, 3 bathrooms, full basement, 6 car garage, 4 acres. And, adding total insult to injury: 18 x 36 in-ground pool. We maintain it all. I draw the line at extension ladders, do not like those things. So I can't do much second story exterior painting. Have I mentioned that the exterior needs painting every 3rd or 4th year? We do it in sections, one section every year.
Is it November yet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna