• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So now that you're not skiing......

altagirl

Staff member
would love to try yoga at home but think this would fall under the video at home thing as well. What I really need is a friend who lives nearby that can ambush yoga me and just show up at my house lol.

I've totally done that. We had a regular thing set up for a while where we paid one of my favorite yoga teachers to come to the house once a week and got a little group together. Kind of fell apart when people's schedules changed, but if you have some friends who would do that with you, it's worth asking. Private lesson prices generally aren't too bad when split up and when the teacher doesn't have to pay for studio space.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the input all....People have been suggesting yoga to me for years and I have tried it. This may sound weird, but I find yoga stressful. This is because I am not flexible at all, so I feel bad when I'm not able to do basic "moves," plus I have been at times put off by the force feeding of preachy yoga, where the instructor talks a little too much about how all of this is supposed to make you feel really peaceful and relaxed and one with your body...

HOWEVER, I am ready to turn a new page and adjust my pre-conceptions and attitude about it. I will simply approach it as a "stretching" class, with no pressure to find my inner self.

Yoga really does seem to be the thing I need at this moment.

I am way more flexible now than when I started 6 weeks ago. We are only talking 6 weeks here so I'm not bragging but just really surprised at how limber I've become in such a short time. I think it would be really good for you. I have had good experiences with yoga so far and all the instructors have been non preachy and just zen and encouraging. As my thusday night guy says "Don't worry about your neighbors, just do what you can and take a break whenever you feel the need. Its your practice"

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks for the input all....People have been suggesting yoga to me for years and I have tried it. This may sound weird, but I find yoga stressful. This is because I am not flexible at all, so I feel bad when I'm not able to do basic "moves," plus I have been at times put off by the force feeding of preachy yoga, where the instructor talks a little too much about how all of this is supposed to make you feel really peaceful and relaxed and one with your body...

HOWEVER, I am ready to turn a new page and adjust my pre-conceptions and attitude about it. I will simply approach it as a "stretching" class, with no pressure to find my inner self.

Luckily for me, where I go it's mostly just exercise based yoga, without too much of the zen/meditative/"preachy" stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't enjoy it. But that's one of the things I was worried about when I started. Plus, this is a pretty conservative Christian area, and there are a few studios that present yoga with that religion in mind, which would also make me uncomfortable. Mostly, I just want to be limber enough to tie my own shoes when I'm old!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Sounds like you may need to shop around for an instructor who works for you. There are all sorts of different people teaching. There was one class @altagirl took me to where the guy teaching was muscly and covered in tattoos. Covered. The class had a very masculine feel that I'd never experienced in yoga, and his tone was definitely not the usual fluffy stuff I've experienced. I'm not saying that's the class for you; I'm just trying to demonstrate the broad range of class styles that might be out there.

Bear in mind that getting to the pose is not the point. In fact, a lot of people rush to the pose and end up collapsing their bodies, not breathing, and ultimately not getting the benefit - but hey, they got into that bind! They just didn't get anything out of it. I remember watching a DVD where the instructor was like, okay, now that we're warmed up, stand with your hands under your feet .. etc etc ... I just gave up. Then at some point I went to an actual class and learned that it's totally legit to have your knees bent to accomplish that pose. OH. There's a lot of nonsense/bad teaching out there.

Also, when I read your descriptions of your struggles with exercise and self-image, and the stress level, I just want you to move out west somewhere! I used to live near DC. The east coast is something else, man. It breeds stress and Type A behavior. You are good enough, exactly as you are, without changing one little thing!

Luckily for me, where I go it's mostly just exercise based yoga, without too much of the zen/meditative/"preachy" stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't enjoy it. But that's one of the things I was worried about when I started. Plus, this is a pretty conservative Christian area, and there are a few studios that present yoga with that religion in mind, which would also make me uncomfortable. Mostly, I just want to be limber enough to tie my own shoes when I'm old!

To be pedantic for a moment: Zen Buddhism is a Japanese religion. It has nothing to do with yoga, which comes from India, which has completely different religious traditions.

Me, I used to mind what I thought was the fluffy, unnecessary part of the class, but now I enjoy it. (Except when one of my favorite teachers starts talking about crystals, shamanism, and astrology. sigh.) But a group Ommmm? A discussion about setting an intention for the class? That's good stuff.

merrydog

Angel Diva
I second what Bounceswoosh said, try different yoga classes to find your instructor.

There are so many flavors of yoga available now. Different instructors will have different styles of teaching, styles of communication and areas of emphasis. You will need to take some classes to decide if it works for you.

While you do that, be gentle on yourself. Don't do anything that you think will hurt. A good instructor will allow each student to practice at their individual level.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
I second what Bounceswoosh said, try different yoga classes to find your instructor.

There are so many flavors of yoga available now. Different instructors will have different styles of teaching, styles of communication and areas of emphasis. You will need to take some classes to decide if it works for you.

While you do that, be gentle on yourself. Don't do anything that you think will hurt. A good instructor will allow each student to practice at their individual level.

Thanks for the encouragement all. If I get out of work at a decent time I plan on going to a "Gentle Yoga" class in my neighborhood tonight.

Also, when I read your descriptions of your struggles with exercise and self-image, and the stress level, I just want you to move out west somewhere! I used to live near DC. The east coast is something else, man. It breeds stress and Type A behavior. You are good enough, exactly as you are, without changing one little thing!

I've been thinking about moving out of NYC for the past 10 years! I'm afraid at this point the East Coast mentality has been hard wired into my genes and I might be a lifer! ... Despite the difficulty and tiring nature of living here, there is also a revitalizing force/energy that I have not experienced elsewhere. I am afraid of missing out on that plus all the diversity/culture/food...all the cliches...

I am from Northern California and unfortunately, moving back to the Bay Area is not likely as it's too expensive now! I would LOVE to live in Truckee, but job...

Sorry to go so off topic. Perhaps there is another thread for this: City Recommendations. I now view all my domestic travel as scouting tripos for potential cities. So far, I have loved Portland, OR , Chicago was impressive, Philly is pretty cool, New Orleans - love....Seriously, I might start a new thread on this topic.

@kasuncion6 I think you should start a new thread on this topic as I think many of us have other cities we'd like to live or have places were are simply curious about. I am from the greater new york area but lived in southern california for half my life so I'm pretty much a california girl. I moved back here cause I was single and needed a change of scene, wanted to reconnect with family, all of that but now would love to live in a host of other places. Just need to convince my not big into making changes man that there is life elsewhere.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
@kasuncion6 I think you should start a new thread on this topic as I think many of us have other cities we'd like to live or have places were are simply curious about. I am from the greater new york area but lived in southern california for half my life so I'm pretty much a california girl. I moved back here cause I was single and needed a change of scene, wanted to reconnect with family, all of that but now would love to live in a host of other places. Just need to convince my not big into making changes man that there is life elsewhere.

I will!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been thinking about moving out of NYC for the past 10 years! I'm afraid at this point the East Coast mentality has been hard wired into my genes and I might be a lifer! ... Despite the difficulty and tiring nature of living here, there is also a revitalizing force/energy that I have not experienced elsewhere. I am afraid of missing out on that plus all the diversity/culture/food...all the cliches...

It's never too late! Paging @RachelV , who moved to Boulder, CO from NYC - she seems to be adapting pretty well. But I understand what you mean - sort of. I've always found big cities exhausting, not energizing. But I understand that others feel differently. But there's the big city stuff, and the east coast stuff. I think to some extent you can separate them. I lived in a suburb of the DC metro area, but I still had that east coast mentality. After I moved here to Boulder, my mother couldn't stop commenting on how happy I seemed.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Portland, OR was very fun to visit and seemed very liveable. Paging @vickie for input on her experience (once @kasuncion6 creates that new thread). On public transport, they referred to senior citizens as 'elderly residents' or something like that--it was nice.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
It's never too late! Paging @RachelV , who moved to Boulder, CO from NYC - she seems to be adapting pretty well. But I understand what you mean - sort of. I've always found big cities exhausting, not energizing. But I understand that others feel differently. But there's the big city stuff, and the east coast stuff. I think to some extent you can separate them. I lived in a suburb of the DC metro area, but I still had that east coast mentality. After I moved here to Boulder, my mother couldn't stop commenting on how happy I seemed.

OKAY! Sorry to divert the original topic even more...But I will say that Boulder was/has been on my long term fantasy "list" for however long it has been now. I have started a new thread "City Recommendations & Tips" where I will eventually ask you more about it....For everyone else - that thread can be a place to discuss potentially moving or just traveling...

K

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So anyway ... back to topic ... I hiked with the dogs on Monday, and I rode my mountain bike (slowly ... so slowly ... in the heat ...) Tuesday. I can't believe I haven't really started doing these things till late June, but that's how the cookie crumbled. I'm struggling with technical mountain biking since that ankle injury in March 2014 - I actually hurt myself going uphill, so I find myself jumping off the bike for pretty much every tiny rock when I'm climbing. Anyway, I'm thinking of going to Winter Park (Trestle) Friday to lap Green World - ride the lift up, fly down on my bike, rinse, repeat. The middle section is closed, but it still should be 3 or 4 miles of fun, swoopy trail.

I thought @RachelV was from this area by the way she referred to NYC as the city.

I do need to buy a helmet for my bike as I don't really ride it much out of my neighborhood. I just wish we had bike trails or a park adjacent to where I live.

altagirl

Staff member
There are definitely all sorts of yoga teachers and classes out there. There are people who like the astrology/mystical stuff or mixing in some religion or another, and I guess I feel like whatever gets people to exercise, to move mindfully, to take care of themselves, I'm glad it's there for them. Like Bounceswoosh, I also enjoy the setting intentions, the "Om's", focuses on alignment and anatomy, and personally I like learning sanskrit pose names and the stories behind them - which does incorporate some Hindu stuff, but to me there is a big difference between, "this pose is called Hanumanasana, after the story of Hanuman's leap from Sri Lanka to the Himalayas, so you can visualize the full splits while leaping..." Which to me is like... interesting factoids, not "let us pray".

Some of the classes I go to have opening and/or closing chants in Sanskrit. Again, I find this interesting to learn about, but do understand that not everyone is interested in that. The teachers I go to always preface it with that all of the chanting is optional. But if that would bother you, avoid Ashtanga or Anusara classes, where it's traditional.

But DEFINITELY don't feel pressured to keep up with anyone in any class, or to do any pose that just isn't working for you (things should feel like reasonable exertion/a "good" stretch/something you can continue breathing deeply while doing - if not, slowly back out of it.) For instance, your legs might shake and your muscles might burn like crazy in chair pose, and that's good, but joint pain would be bad, as would needing to hold your breath. Most teachers will say that you can always rest in child's pose, at a minimum, and a lot are even more flexible and encourage you to do whatever variations you want to do. (The downside is that it can be confusing as a newbie if everyone is doing something different to even figure out what the pose IS that is being talked about!) But as you gain more experience, it's easier to say oh - pigeon pose - my back doesn't like that right now, so I'm going to do a reclining figure 4 today instead. If they are going into a pose which just isn't going to happen right now, it's okay to look around and see if people are doing more accessible variations. This also is a good signal to the teacher that you're looking for an alternative and they can offer something too (if you just go straight to child's pose, the signal is that you want to rest). The key is to not get stuck comparing yourself to others. We all have different genetics, different injuries... and no one is a better person because they're flexible. In fact, yoga is much harder to do properly for people who are very flexible - it takes a lot more muscle and willpower to hold alignment properly when the body just wants to collapse. Everyone has their own challenges. I do find that when I focus on form, yoga helps me find a nice balance of strength and flexibility, and it's really helpful in sports.

Oh - also note that at first, some people have a really hard time with things like savasana, which is the lying on your back and resting at the end of class. Some people are more fidgety, or just have too much going on in their heads for it to be relaxing at all, but I swear to you it gets better with time and practice. I know years ago I would regularly swear that the teacher left and was leaving us in savasana as a joke/torture, but now it goes by in a flash. So it's not abnormal at all to find yoga stressful instead of relaxing at first. But stick with it!

Jenny

Angel Diva
To be pedantic for a moment: Zen Buddhism is a Japanese religion. It has nothing to do with yoga, which comes from India, which has completely different religious tradition.
Yep, that's why I didn't capitalize it (it does require caps, doesn't it?) - just using it in a generic sense - although it's not that I know much of anything about it.

I managed to do pilates last night without hurting my knee further. Was kind of afraid I'd bust my scab open and be back at square one but I was careful and didn't put too much pressure on it during the few times we were on our knees.

I also actually broke a sweat last night; not something I rarely do so I took this as a good thing. Great class.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Started doing Pilates 2 months ago in small group classes. I get the same good-feel out of it as you, @surfsnowgirl .

This looks like it could be fun, not sure where in Colorado this is but its one thing to do during the summer I suppose :smile:. The caption reads
COLORADO
Mosca: Zip down 750-foot hills at Great Sand Dunes National Park on a sled (from the Oasis Store) built for the desert.
BBl3L0m.jpg

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^that's down in the southern part of the state.

great-sand-dunes-national-park-map.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna