• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So now that you're not skiing......

altagirl

Staff member
Stupid question...does everyone not BBQ the rest of the year?

We BBQ year round. Ours is right outside the back door - just brush the snow off of it and grill. There's really no weather that I don't consider grilling season if that's what I want to eat! :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
BBQ year round too. I remember my Dad doing all kinds of (now) stupid things to have his steak BBQ'd. Took the grate out of the fire place and put the hibachi in it's place. Also the hibachi on a cardboard box in the middle of winter. It caught on fire!! Lots of snow to handle that one.

I tried to buy him a gas BBQ, for Father's Day the year I started working full time. No he wanted to stay with his charcoal. Took him about 5 years to switch to gas.

I traveled with my Dragon Boat crew yesterday to a race. Not going again till I can paddle. Too depressing to just be able to watch. But I did have fun with the people.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
How do you all motivate yourselves to exercise and be so active??? Motivation is a huge obstacle for me. I have not been to my gym since January....My body feels so stiff and arthritic. My knees crack loudly whenever I bend down...and I'm just about to turn 35. I most often convince myself not to even begin trying to address these issues, because the obstacle seems insurmountable. I suppose it is depression / lack of self confidence that also holds me back....

All this being said, I am not a TOTAL couch potato. I ride my bike to and from work everyday. It's not long, approximately 30 minutes each way with some short bridge climbs (for NYC standards). I try to play leisure pick-up soccer or street hockey once a week, and I have just signed up for summer ice hockey 2 times a week...It seems that the only things that can motivate me are those activities that involve chasing a ball or some clear objective like scoring a point...While these activities will keep me off the couch, I am highly aware that my base level of fitness: flexibility, cardio endurance, strength is what I REALLY need to work on. I am even thinking of getting a personal trainer bc it seems like I will only commit to something if I know I've paid money for classes/training...If you've ever been stuck in a rut, in terms of taking steps towards individual fitness, how did you get over them?

To sum up, this is my big challenge this summer: achieving true fitness to the point where my body does not feel stiff, tense, sore, all the time. To feel comfortable with my body...Of course, I am also pretty sure that much of this stiffness/tension is due to the accumulated stresses of work and the rat-race pace of the city....which leads to another goal: getting out of this god forsaken city and into mother nature!!!...Trying to plan a short backpacking trip in the Catskills for July. Anyone know of any good un-crowded swimming holes in that area?

Same boat here. This past season is the first season I really let loose and really skied. Hard core every weekend but this past May I was starting to feel like an old lady; creaking bones and sore and stiff muscles. I realized the off season should be filled with having a little non skiing fun but its also a time to strengthen my core and get my body in better shape for next ski season. I plan to do this for a good long time so I realized I needed to work on my physical activity in the off season.

I am not so great at getting to the gym to work out because there's no structure so probably need to get a trainer. I bought a mountain bike but I am not so good at going for rides on it, probably need to join a riding club or something.

What seems to be working is attending pilates and yoga classes. I do better when there's a set time and a class that's starting. I also try to sign up for a 5 or a 10k cause nothing like a deadline as a carrot in front of you to get training.

After 6 weeks of yoga and pilates I definitely feel more nimble and less creaky. Need to keep up with structured activities.

MissySki

Angel Diva
How do you all motivate yourselves to exercise and be so active??? Motivation is a huge obstacle for me. I have not been to my gym since January....My body feels so stiff and arthritic. My knees crack loudly whenever I bend down...and I'm just about to turn 35. I most often convince myself not to even begin trying to address these issues, because the obstacle seems insurmountable. I suppose it is depression / lack of self confidence that also holds me back....

All this being said, I am not a TOTAL couch potato. I ride my bike to and from work everyday. It's not long, approximately 30 minutes each way with some short bridge climbs (for NYC standards). I try to play leisure pick-up soccer or street hockey once a week, and I have just signed up for summer ice hockey 2 times a week...It seems that the only things that can motivate me are those activities that involve chasing a ball or some clear objective like scoring a point...While these activities will keep me off the couch, I am highly aware that my base level of fitness: flexibility, cardio endurance, strength is what I REALLY need to work on. I am even thinking of getting a personal trainer bc it seems like I will only commit to something if I know I've paid money for classes/training...If you've ever been stuck in a rut, in terms of taking steps towards individual fitness, how did you get over them?

To sum up, this is my big challenge this summer: achieving true fitness to the point where my body does not feel stiff, tense, sore, all the time. To feel comfortable with my body...Of course, I am also pretty sure that much of this stiffness/tension is due to the accumulated stresses of work and the rat-race pace of the city....which leads to another goal: getting out of this god forsaken city and into mother nature!!!...Trying to plan a short backpacking trip in the Catskills for July. Anyone know of any good un-crowded swimming holes in that area?

After ski season I was feeling progressively stiff and sore (30s are definitely worse than 20s for this, so I can relate there:wink: !), especially my back and neck.. sitting down at a computer all day certainly doesn't help this and I tend to carry lots of tension in these areas. A few weeks ago I went for a great 1.5 hour therapeutic massage where we started getting lots of my kinks and knots out. This was not just a nice relaxing massage, it was quite uncomfortable most of the time because we had to get deeper in the muscles, but it's what needed to be done. I'm now doing a bunch of activities, but the one I think that's helping the most with the stiffness etc. is hot yoga. My back and neck feel quite good and have not gone back to where they were pre-massage thank goodness.

My motivation to keep moving now is to stay in shape and get in better shape for next ski season! I also want to keep up yoga and some cardio during next ski season because I usually let everything else go and that didn't bode as well for my body and conditioning this season.

alicie

Angel Diva

I personally only do things I like to do, otherwise there's really not much point in doing them. Plenty people complain about going to gym and that they don't like exercising in there and I've always thought if you hate it that much go and find an exercise you like.
I swim at the gym quite a bit, because I'm good at it and I like it. I cycle in the gym usually when I can't be bothered to swim, but I still like it.
And hill walking, I usually stick to munros, so I can tick them off but I also like to take pictures so the hill walking bit it part of it. Plus I like being outside most of the time.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Same boat here. This past season is the first season I really let loose and really skied. Hard core every weekend but this past May I was starting to feel like an old lady; creaking bones and sore and stiff muscles. I realized the off season should be filled with having a little non skiing fun but its also a time to strengthen my core and get my body in better shape for next ski season. I plan to do this for a good long time so I realized I needed to work on my physical activity in the off season.

I am not so great at getting to the gym to work out because there's no structure so probably need to get a trainer. I bought a mountain bike but I am not so good at going for rides on it, probably need to join a riding club or something.

What seems to be working is attending pilates and yoga classes. I do better when there's a set time and a class that's starting. I also try to sign up for a 5 or a 10k cause nothing like a deadline as a carrot in front of you to get training.

After 6 weeks of yoga and pilates I definitely feel more nimble and less creaky. Need to keep up with structured activities.

I definitely agree with the lack of structure in regular gym environment. Doing barre last summer really helped me get some light weight lifting in and tons of abs and leg work.. I'd highly recommend trying it out if you have it nearby.

I definitely agree with the lack of structure in regular gym environment. Doing barre last summer really helped me get some light weight lifting in and tons of abs and leg work.. I'd highly recommend trying it out if you have it nearby.

Thanks, just found a place in my town, will check it out. I think the structured class thing is what I need.

I think I need another deep tissue massage also. My guy massaged a lot of runners/skiers and really knew how to work those legs. Not relaxing in the least but oy did he get in there, I felt so good afterwards. He left my old chiropractor's office when she moved, need to find him.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+ 20 years + a couple of car accidents + even more sitting at a computer = RSI, compressed vertebrae, carpal tunnel, arthritis, and other not-minor conditions.

Am using a timer app called Stand Up! at work, and go for massage, chiro, & work outs to help be more myself. This is the year of wake-up calls.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

From what you described, you're already pretty active - an hour of cycling 5 days a week; and ice hockey is *intense*, although I never found it helped me with sustained cardio efforts like mountain biking.

I have been in ruts and out of them many times in my life, and I really think inertia vs momentum is a big part. If you can afford a personal trainer, I think that is a great idea to keep you on track - with the caveat that not all of them are careful about posture and mechanics and not allowing yourself to get hurt, so keep your eyes open. But if you don't like to go to the gym, then do something else.

But. Getting more active is not going to necessarily help with feeling stiff, tense, and sore. In my experience, typical high impact activities can contribute to all of those, rather than alleviating them. There's a reason a number of Divas - a growing number - are such fans of yoga. Have you tried it?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
To answer the original question - I fly as much as I can - Cirrus SR20, Robin DR400 and Aquila AT01. Then I run, perform reserve duty, and take care of life. I want to MTB more, but flying keeps getting in the way! I will start on the many MTB ranges around here...

altagirl

Staff member
Yep, yoga for me. If I don't do yoga at least every third day (ideally I'm 6 days a week), I feel achy and stiff and unhappy in general. And that's year round. Biking and skiing might keep me active and fit in other ways, but only make me more achy and stiff if I'm not working mobility regularly.

My motivation really is just feeling good.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
How do you all motivate yourselves to exercise and be so active???

It's hard in NYC! I agree that you already sound pretty active.

Seconding the suggestion of yoga or something similar, but also, since you already bike to work -- there are some really nice bike rides around NYC, and then you don't have the hurdle of having to get out of the city first. Ocean Parkway, down to Coney Island via the water, or up to City Island via the west side -- all very nice and pretty chill.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I am a lot like this. I hate gyms, I hate group exercise. I did use a personal trainer for a couple of years, and that was great. (Even better when we used medicine balls! I really will chase/throw/catch a ball forever.) By doing that, I learned a lot of exercises that I can do on my own now. And when we redid the basement, I added a small gym with a tv so now I can go there, alone, whenever I want. (I know that is not feasible for everyone, but just knowing the exercises to do, the ones that don't require a bunch of machines, it can be done wherever.)

Luckily I am close to our mountains, so I can always go hike or ski, also. My cardio isn't the greatest, but you know what, it's good enough to do what I enjoy. I need strength a little more than cardio anyway.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even better when we used medicine balls! I really will chase/throw/catch a ball forever.

LOL. I'm remembering a day with my personal trainer where I was doing crunches involving a medicine ball. I think it was something like, he would toss the medicine ball to me (not necessarily straight - usually I had to reach to the side to get it), and then I would do a crunch and toss the ball back. At some point I got frustrated and - I really can't believe I did this - I just *threw* it right at him, rather than tossing it into his hands. He was not amused. I can't really explain myself. Maybe I just figured he was obviously going to be able to catch it, so it would be funny? Or maybe I really had transmuted my pain into some sort of blinding hatred of him, just for a moment.

Apparently, I will not toss a ball forever.

Looking forward to pilates tonight. Hoping my skinned knee from 2 weeks ago won't still be a problem. We don't heal like we used to when we were kids now do we lol. Had to skip my class last week because my wound was still raw and it hurt too much to be on my knees. Hoping to try it tonight. Its still sore, geez.

altagirl

Staff member
I know I've had some one legged physical therapy exercises with a ball that were fun, but it required a mini trampoline at an angle. It'd be fun to set up at home, but I don't really have a good space for it.

I definitely do better with group classes. I know I work harder and at home I find it easy to procrastinate. I actually do fairly well practicing yoga at home on my own, but classes are still better. And I have a few friends who are always raving about doing videos, which is definitely NOT my thing. I've tried... to just about zero success. I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand it - I get really annoyed with the sequencing or pace or all sorts of little things that I'd have no problem with in a real-life class. And most of the time I hit pause to do something my own way or add a pose and never start it again. At which point I think, I might as well just do my own thing in the first place!

My sunday morning yoga class uses a tennis ball; we put it under our thigh and move all around over it. It's kind of like a massage too, a deep tissue one where they are pushing in on the pressure points.

I have a video at home right now that's been sitting on the tv stand for weeks so realizing this isn't my strong suit. I would love to try yoga at home but think this would fall under the video at home thing as well. What I really need is a friend who lives nearby that can ambush yoga me and just show up at my house lol.

I do my once a week stint on the treadmill but mainly I pay my gym membership so I can attend unlimited pilates, yoga and spinning classes. Its the best bang for my buck right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly