• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So I've got this bike...

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
DH bought it for me 2 years ago or so. I've ridden it maybe twice. It's a trek 7200. whatever that means. I don't even know how to work the gears. I bought a k-9 cruiser bike leash, and I've got a sled dog that likes to run...so I thought this would be a good fit. Any advice for a beginner?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Learn to both shift and stop your bike VERY comfortably before trying to deal with the bike and the dog together. Inexperienced biker + canine = recipe for disaster. If there's anywhere in your area that gives lessons or clinics on peddling/shifting/braking techniques, I'd highly recommend doing so.

The Trek 7200 is a decent and reliable bike that should hold up well for several years if well treated. With a dog in-tow, you'll want to stay with flat pedals, rather than clipless, for quick dismounts.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I used to trail ride as a kid a lot, as in ten -25 mile runs. But only had a ten speed ala 1982. that and a pop up camper and family of gypsies. LOL. So I'm comfortable with a bike, per say. And the bungee leash keeps her from tugging it out from under me, its really cool. I've taken her once already, she just runs along side and actually tries to take the lead. haha. I just don't know what all these gears do. DH is a mountain biker, but I don't want a divorce, so I'm not asking him.

oh and it has flat pedals already.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Be really sure of your dog. I can safely go fast with Cooper. With Loki, he's liable to try to take the lead, then shoot across in front of the bike. I keep it under control with Loki so I can stop if it looks like he's thinking of bolting.

I love biking with the dogs, but be aware that you need handling skills and balance in a way that just riding along a road or graded trail won't provide.

altagirl

Staff member
Agreed with the above. I ride my bike with my dog on a leash around the neighborhood, but you definitely need to trust the dog and have solid handling skills or it's a recipe for disaster. Definitely get very comfortable yourself in terms of stopping suddenly and being comfortable getting bumped before attempting with your dog.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
https://www.k9cruiser.com They can't get in front of bike with this. In fact because of the bar/bungee system, they can't pull away either. I bike, she follows. Even when she saw a friendly mastiff and wanted to run toward him, I had complete control of her.

altagirl

Staff member
https://www.k9cruiser.com They can't get in front of bike with this. In fact because of the bar/bungee system, they can't pull away either. I bike, she follows. Even when she saw a friendly mastiff and wanted to run toward him, I had complete control of her.

Interesting. I guess it depends on the size of the dog - it seems like a determined dog would just drag the back end of the bike off to the side.

I just ride with my dog on a regular leash with one finger looped in the leash so I could drop it in the event I needed to. But I'm also totally comfortable riding one handed and my dog is reliable to follow directions.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
My hubby used "bikejor" with our Malemute way back when. We had an old newspaper bike that they'd take out trail riding.... long before mountain bikes were invented hey would go out for 5-7 mile ride/runs. My comment would be to not attempt this with a sled-type dog unless you are very comfortable on the the bike and the dog has a reflexive "heel" that is stronger than his genetically ingrained desire to pull.

geargrrl

Angel Diva

I don't know if I'd put a sled dog on that system unless they were extremely well trained:
(from their website)
1) NEVER LET YOUR DOG PULL THE BIKE!!! It is very tempting to let your dog pull you on the bike; many people feel this is fun for their dog, the dog gets more exercise, and they don’t have to peddle. However, this gives the dog the impression that he controls the bike, which is never good.
Sled dogs want to pull; it's in there very nature and it is a real commitment to train them to work on a leash without pulling (and without halties and what not) but it can be done.

total aside: the website says, "always wear a helmet' and yet no one in their photos or vids is wearing one...?

Last edited:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Interesting. I guess it depends on the size of the dog - it seems like a determined dog would just drag the back end of the bike off to the side.
There are bungees of different tensile strengths to accommodate breed size.
I don't know if I'd put a sled dog on that system unless they were extremely well trained:
1) NEVER LET YOUR DOG PULL THE BIKE!!! It is very tempting to let your dog pull you on the bike; many people feel this is fun for their dog, the dog gets more exercise, and they don’t have to peddle. However, this gives the dog the impression that he controls the bike, which is never good.
Sled dogs want to pull; it's in there very nature and it is a real commitment to train them to work on a leash without pulling ( and without halties and what not)
. I wouldn't think of letting her pull it. I'm the alpha, and she knows her pack order, she will be the rear dog and I will lead. Otherwise that would be extremely dangerous. She is extremely well trained.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
That's great - I know how much work that is as we took our Mal to obedience competitions. DH was the alpha but he pretty much ignored me lol.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like holding a leash in my hand loosely. It means I can let go. I've seen those leash systems advertised, but never used one.

Let us know how it goes. Please do be careful. I know people say "it's like riding a bike" to mean that you don't forget, but bike skills do decay over time, and riding with a dog adds a lot. If talking to your DH about gears is too stressful - I definitely know that dynamic - maybe see if someone at a bike store will walk you through the basics.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
That's great - I know how much work that is as we took our Mal to obedience competitions. DH was the alpha but he pretty much ignored me lol.
I wouldn't recommend that anyone OWN a sled dog, without being able to assume alpha. They are very head strong.

I would never be able to hold the leash with her, she is a head strong sled dog, I have to have control of her, or she will take it. This system worked significantly better than expected. I was worried that she would see an animal and take off after it. But because she has to run to my left, my right, or my rear, she couldn't lead. When she caught sight of the mastiff, she tried to speed up, but I was able to control her by braking instead of needing to let go of her. I braked, she stopped. The breeder rides FOUR of them at a time with this system. Says it's perfect for sled dogs because they can't pull the bike and have to assume a rear dog system. I was worried that because I had no lead dog to train her that it would be a little tougher, but not so. Rode 1.5 miles with her last night to start out. And I live in a foothill region so that was a bit of a challenge for me. My son rode the bike last, so he had it geared for our neighborhood already that it was an easier climb. And I just didn't change it, because I can't go faster yet anyway, since the dog's paws have to become accustomed to running on pavement. I don't want her to hate it. We have a bike trail, that is a semi paved in sections old railroad bed that's relatively flat, that I should probably take her to to build distance, but honestly the vertical here wasn't that bad, if I learned what the bike does, I'm sure it would be better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly