• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: So as a skier how do feel about ski bus marijuana tours?

mustski

Angel Diva
Must ski, you sound terrified. But drinkers don't freak you out? Do you avoid ski areas that have bars?

As with any substance that impairs judgement, legal or not, there will be recreational users, heavy users, abusers and addicts. Think about how destructive alcohol is, and it is very legal.

I am not terrified. I have always thought tobacco and alcohol legal and pot illegal was a stupid differentiation. As for drinkers ...yeah those that drive and/or ski in that condition do worry me. I think my concern here is the party buses. There aren't tour groups running drinking buses to ski mountains. I don't avoid ski areas with bars, but I didn't take my kid into the bars either. I don't respect skiers that ski with a flask and I don't respect skiers that ski in impaired condition. As for all the problem skiers/riders described by Serafina, well yeah ... I avoid those like the plague. The difference is that it is not an either/or scenario. It's an "and". My concern has nothing to do with the law. It is about the party buses.

altagirl

Staff member
I actually know a number of serious skiers who smoke pot every day that they ski. You would never guess it - they are generally expert skiers and ski better than I do, and I've never seen them do anything reckless/out of control. So while I wouldn't ever do it personally, I don't know what I would possibly say to them about what they are doing, since I wouldn't be able to point out any flaws in their skiing while they are high. "Hey, stop skiing high because you're making me look bad since I'm sober..."

Now drunk people - that's a different story. A beer or two I don't think is a big deal, but I've known/seen people who are sloppy drunk out on the slopes being reckless and out of control, and those people scare me.

Regarding Colorado and the law changes? I doubt it's changing the actual percentages of people who are smoking pot on the slopes AT ALL. It's just making something legal that was already going on. And on the bright side, as many people have pointed out, the tour bus idea is keeping extra people from driving. In that sense, it's probably making things safer for the general population than they were before. Totally in favor of it.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
If only that were true.
A quick search on "ski party busses" brings up a number options, including limos with wet bars you can rent, two week long "gems & brews" tours, and the "ski winterfest all you can drink party bus" (from Chicago and other Midwest/eastern locations: that's a lot of drinking before you get to any resorts...), a Deschutes Brewery sponsored trip to Mt. Bachelor, and my favorite, an LA based ski party bus that even has a "dance pole"! Too much for me when I'm still on my first cup of coffee!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The law limits the amount of pot an individual can have. Tourists are allowed significantly lesser amounts. The law also limits where one can smoke, privacy of your home. I'm thinking groups will be controlled more as authorities will be watching and businesses won't want to lose their business license. Also, the feds are watching how Colorado handles this. Smoking pot is illegal on federal land and most ski areas here are on federal lands. Some ski areas are making statements that it's prohibited. A-Basin has already cracked down and pulled some passes. In Summit and Eagle counties it's illegal to smoke cigarettes on the lifts and I'm thinking the sheriffs dept. will be riding the chairs looking for violators. Many communities are not approving pot shops, at least not for another year.
Many tourist ski buses stop at AppleJacks in Wheatridge for the tourist to stock up on alcohol. So I don't see anything different here. The town of Wheatridge did approve pot shops so they're looking at how they can make money. Not sure if any licenses have been approved there yet.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably a lot less rowdy than the college football booze cruise, just not as socially acceptable.

Christy

Angel Diva
Also, the feds are watching how Colorado handles this. Smoking pot is illegal on federal land and most ski areas here are on federal lands.

I totally forgot about this. In WA, there has actually been a crackdown this year by rangers, busting people at national forest and park campgrounds for pot. (Which was amazing to me, because parks/forests are so understaffed, it's shocking they had the resources to do this, but never underestimate the zeal of a law enforcement ranger I guess). It doesn't matter if it's legal in WA, they say, it's still illegal of federal land. And most of our ski areas are on fed land. I wonder if they will lean hard on ski areas to enforce.

My dogsitter was arrested for having a pipe and a small amount of pot in a campground in Olympic National Park, and she has to appear in federal court. I learned this by reading about it on the front page of the Seattle Times, in an article on the crackdown in general. Ugh.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally forgot about this. In WA, there has actually been a crackdown this year by rangers, busting people at national forest and park campgrounds for pot. (Which was amazing to me, because parks/forests are so understaffed, it's shocking they had the resources to do this, but never underestimate the zeal of a law enforcement ranger I guess). It doesn't matter if it's legal in WA, they say, it's still illegal of federal land. And most of our ski areas are on fed land. I wonder if they will lean hard on ski areas to enforce.

My dogsitter was arrested for having a pipe and a small amount of pot in a campground in Olympic National Park, and she has to appear in federal court. I learned this by reading about it on the front page of the Seattle Times, in an article on the crackdown in general. Ugh.

Ruh roh!!! Gotta love Washingtonians! (I have lots of extended family up there who partake. It's definitely a more accepted part of the culture.)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm trying to think of where I heard that certain fed enforcement agencies were told to back of....?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Now drunk people - that's a different story. A beer or two I don't think is a big deal, but I've known/seen people who are sloppy drunk out on the slopes being reckless and out of control, and those people scare me.
Don't. Get. Me. Started.
Or this will be a Very Long Post.
And yes to above also, re: DUI patrols on local roads - here, too.
Sometimes even mandatory road blocks and vehicle-to-vehicle checks (12/31).
As to what I've seen on-slope.....omg/wow.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually know a number of serious skiers who smoke pot every day that they ski. You would never guess it - they are generally expert skiers and ski better than I do, and I've never seen them do anything reckless/out of control.

Same. I agree that "serious potheads" probably aren't the ones catching first chair, but I know a bunch of "regular smokers" who do. And I prefer that in general that they're not driving.

The federal lands issue is interesting...

abc

Banned
The federal lands issue is interesting...
What that means is, IF the mountain wants to, they have a perfect basis to enforce the pot ban.

On the other hand, I never understand the pot + skiing issue. For me, skiing itself generates plenty of buzz already. So why anyone needs pot on top of it?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed, I think many of you would be surprised at how many "serious" skiers are also fairly serious smokers.

And skunks! There do seem to be more skunks near ski areas the past couple of seasons.... :noidea::tongue:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What that means is, IF the mountain wants to, they have a perfect basis to enforce the pot ban.

On the other hand, I never understand the pot + skiing issue. For me, skiing itself generates plenty of buzz already. So why anyone needs pot on top of it?

I don't think "buzz" is exactly the right term for it. A regular smoker I know said that it just takes the edge off so that he can flow better. This makes sense to me. Not that I ever would smoke *koff*, but if I ever had, then it is possible that the first time I ever did so, for the first time in my life I felt completely free of worrying about others' judgment. I felt - I mean, I would have felt - completely comfortable in my own skin. That would be handy for skiing. My hypothetical tendency to fall asleep if I were to ever smoke? That would be more problematic.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^ yeah, that's a good way to describe it. Hypothetically, of course.

[I should say, I don't smoke, but I don't mind it, I often ski with people who do, and it is not a worry in the slightest. It's not the type of "impairment" that you should fear. I am already marginally too mellow and unmotivated, the last thing I need is to be even more so. :redface:]

geargrrl

Angel Diva

Why do some people drink and some people don't? I think it comes down to everything from psychological make up to just liking the buzz. Some people like a lightly altered reality. Some people self medicate. For some it's just fun. As someone does does neither anymore , I like my reality straight up. People have been chemically imbibing for thousands of years and I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I don't think "buzz" is exactly the right term for it. A regular smoker I know said that it just takes the edge off so that he can flow better. This makes sense to me. Not that I ever would smoke *koff*, but if I ever had, then it is possible that the first time I ever did so, for the first time in my life I felt completely free of worrying about others' judgment. I felt - I mean, I would have felt - completely comfortable in my own skin. That would be handy for skiing. My hypothetical tendency to fall asleep if I were to ever smoke? That would be more problematic.

I'm an innocent in this regard, but you made me wonder what it would feel like to be completely comfortable in my own skin. I'm not sure if I can remember a time when I don't feel at least a little bit anxious about something or other . . .

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an innocent in this regard, but you made me wonder what it would feel like to be completely comfortable in my own skin. I'm not sure if I can remember a time when I don't feel at least a little bit anxious about something or other . . .

Yeah. It was - I mean - it would have been ;-) - a revelation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna