• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowy Range in WY

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone have experience skiing at Snowy Range in WY? Just noticed it in the OpenSnow list for Wyoming. With 250 acres and $49 lift tickets, seems like an obvious candidate to add to my Old School exploration list.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have heard of it but do not know it. There is also Hogadon Basin WY, and White Pine, WY, which is an on again off again little area. Let me know what you find out.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never skied it. It's north of Muddy Pass which is near Steamboat. A week ago we drove through that area with 60 mph winds and blowing snow. Lots of high wind warnings and a few vehicles off the road.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Never skied it. It's north of Muddy Pass which is near Steamboat. A week ago we drove through that area with 60 mph winds and blowing snow. Lots of high wind warnings and a few vehicles off the road.
Hmm, so if we drive from SLC on I-80 via Laramie to Steamboat in Feb, then a little detour to look at Snowy Range could work. Not to ski, just a walk around the base.

Where was the wind the worst?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were headed west. Wind was the worst 20 miles east of Rawlins to Laramie. As we remember it was a 70 mile section. Didn't see any signs on I-80 for the Snowy Range ski area.

Generally, for a shorter route to S-boat from SLC you'd take US 40 all the way from Heber City to Steamboat. We were there yesterday and saw the split.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Generally, for a shorter route to S-boat from SLC you'd take US 40 all the way from Heber City to Steamboat. We were there yesterday and saw the split.
Yep, that's the way we were planning on going. But I've been known to take a detour to check out a ski area even during the off-season. We'll be traveling during the day. Also driving from Steamboat to Denver a few days later. Bill has plenty of snow driving experience.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, that's the way we were planning on going. But I've been known to take a detour to check out a ski area even during the off-season. We'll be traveling during the day. Also driving from Steamboat to Denver a few days later. Bill has plenty of snow driving experience.
Leaving S-Boat, unless you're going to ski Winter Park, going through Kremmling to Highway 9 through Silverthorne to I-70 is the better way. That way you avoid going over Berthound Pass. Avoid Sat after 2pm and Sundays. If you follow that route note that I rode my bicycle from Silverthorne to S-Boat. The wind blew me off the road when I was climbing Rabbit Ears Pass. Long day of riding.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Leaving S-Boat, unless you're going to ski Winter Park, going through Kremmling to Highway 9 through Silverthorne to I-70 is the better way. That way you avoid going over Berthound Pass. Avoid Sat after 2pm and Sundays. If you follow that route note that I rode my bicycle from Silverthorne to S-Boat. The wind blew me off the road when I was climbing Rabbit Ears Pass. Long day of riding.
Thanks for the info. Since Bill and I have Ikon, the plan is to check out Winter Park on the way to Denver. We'll be driving on Tuesday. My other ski buddy Jason and I will stay in an airport motel and fly out on Wednesday. My guess is that Bill will ski elsewhere in CO before he heads home (NM).

I've read about Rabbit Ears Pass and Berthound Pass.

The idea behind this trip to Steamboat is to get an idea of the logistics for a future trip. I've been to Steamboat once but it was back in the 1990s when I was only skiing blue groomers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna