• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowshoes - I know nothing

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wow that's deep!

We've got adjustable hiking poles that we inherited from my dad, but I should look to see if they have baskets we could get for snowshoeing.
@Jenny I was looking at your new snowshoes. Think they have more bells and whistles than what I got !

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny I was looking at your new snowshoes. Think they have more bells and whistles than what I got !
Bells and whistles are just things that can break, lol! it remains to be seen if the spikes keep me from slipping/falling or if I should have online shopped and gotten the ones @liquidfeet linked to. i never did order them cuz I didn’t want to deal with returning, if necessary.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Broke them in today. Learned three things:

I put the gaiters on backwards.

I had the snowshoes on the wrong feet - not that they're shaped, but the cinching ankle buckle should go on the outside, duh.

Need to see if the poles have other tips I can buy - these were for dry hiking. When the snow was soft, it was ok, because they’d sink down to the ground, but there's not much snow and where it was hard they were just slippery.

Otherwise, things went well! It was low 20's, sunshine, no wind. Hiked up and down the forested side of the dunes and determined we were very glad to have the heel lifter.

Oh, fourth thing - gotta cinch up my hiking boots before I put on the gaiters.

Here's a few pics.

D9155610-6B65-451B-B830-C71EA088A434.jpeg

7A46CBB0-D911-42FC-947A-EF309EF09767.jpeg

97CBF493-E3AB-4CF1-804B-E0905B708DA7.jpeg

8BD5BF1C-AEEA-4435-B1E8-7C46E0FA9B45.jpeg

2E5A95FE-945F-4D08-8969-A368FA0BC8DE.jpeg

Jenny

Angel Diva
Hopefully I’ll get a picture like last year, where the beach is completely snow covered.

I just love our lake.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hopefully I’ll get a picture like last year, where the beach is completely snow covered.

I just love our lake.
How far are you from the lake?

Tried my new snowshoes behind the house at Northstar when up skiing a week ago.... seemed to work fine but probably not the best for hilly hikes. I thought they had the heel lifter but they don't. No problems and really easy to get on/off. Also wore ski pants as skied directly after finishing snowshoe hike. Snow boots worked fine. Haven't had gaiters in decades though. Must get some.

Mine are Tubbs Frontier:

Jenny

Angel Diva
We’re 45 minutes to hour from the lake, depending on where we go. But I grew up in Muskegon, so that's typically where I think of when I think of going to the lake.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My snowshoes have a R & L on them.
Hmm, maybe I’d better check more closely, then. They look the same, but maybe there’s some slight difference.

We got powder baskets today and discovered that if we'd just popped off the rubber tips the other day we'd have had spikes, which would have helped a bit where the snow was packed. Don’t know why we didn’t try it when we were out.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmm, maybe I’d better check more closely, then. They look the same, but maybe there’s some slight difference.

We got powder baskets today and discovered that if we'd just popped off the rubber tips the other day we'd have had spikes, which would have helped a bit where the snow was packed. Don’t know why we didn’t try it when we were out.
Did you buy special poles? I just used my grasssticks bamboo ski poles w large baskets.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Did you buy special poles? I just used my grasssticks bamboo ski poles w large baskets.
We had two sets of hiking poles that were my dads, so we used those. They're adjustable, too.

Is there a particular length they should be for this, or just whatever feels comfortable and keeps you upright?

Jilly

Staff member
My snowshoes have a R & L on them.

The way my binding does up, there is only one way. I don't want the clasp on the inside...

Poles - I like mine a little shorter than my ski poles. And definitely shorter than my XC poles.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We had two sets of hiking poles that were my dads, so we used those. They're adjustable, too.

Is there a particular length they should be for this, or just whatever feels comfortable and keeps you upright?
No clue on sizing. I have hiking poles as well but forgot about them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
In my own mind I’m conjuring up quite the picture of myself with everything on wrong, stumbling about the “wilderness”, poles sliding, shoes on the wrong feet, etc. but in reality everything was fine, I just need to pay more attention to what I’m doing.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate blaming myself and giving no quarter for new activities. Men don't seem to do that, or at least they get over it very quickly.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I hate blaming myself and giving no quarter for new activities. Men don't seem to do that, or at least they get over it very quickly.
IKWYM. But despite how it sounds, I'm being more man-like with this one. I find all of our bumbling pretty funny, especially for something that basically involves putting something on my feet and walking. Today we had to ask the salesperson at REI how to collapse one set of the poles.

Wolfie

Certified Ski Diva
Anyone know about a brand called Yukon Charlie's? Available at Dick's, but also REI.
i have Yukon Charlies. I like them, but they are buckles. I find once you set them up for your boot, as long as you are using the same boot, they are great

Jenny

Angel Diva
Quick question - If you have gaiters, can you snowshoe in something like these without getting a footfull of snow?

I have these that I wore and they worked great, but I'm on my second pair since December and the hooks at the top keep popping off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna