• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowshoes - I know nothing

Jenny

Angel Diva
Those look awesome, @Jenny !

I'll chime in that I would never buy a pair of snowshoes without heel lifts, so you may want to play around with them if you're on steep-ish terrain; they can keep you comfortable on steep pitches. I have MSR Revo Explores that I use mainly for hiking uphill with my snowboard. I find walking on steep areas really uncomfortable on my calves without the lift.

Btw, we have a local Wednesday-night snowshoe group in my area and I really enjoy getting out with a fun group and exploring new routes. Might be worth checking if there's something similar in your area.
I hadn't thought of looking for a group - good idea, thanks. I had only thought that it was too bad it's so dark after work, but maybe there's even lighted trails around here - I'll take a look for both.

The heel lift on these was interesting, too, because I think it came down from the heel, rather than up from the deck, and I think it was more than just a bar. Gotta go home and look now.

I think these should be fine for what we have planned, but I like the looks of all the claws on the ones @liquidfeet posted. Would love to compare them side-by-side, but if I have to order them then it's kind of a pain. Our local ski shop doesn't have theirs in yet, and they were saying it would be late, and maybe not a full order, so we wanted to at least secure something so we didn't miss out. I was looking on the TSL website and it looks like they have some grip thingy we can order and install that would provide more traction if needed.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had only thought that it was too bad it's so dark after work, but maybe there's even lighted trails around here - I'll take a look for both.
Headlamps on snow throw a lot of light. And depending on the tree cover where you hike, a full moon can make a headlamp unnecessary. Night-hiking is a treat! When there's fresh powder, you can see the headlamps of backcountry skiers going up and down our mountain at night, though I'm not sure I'm brave enough to ski at night. Maybe very slowly! :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
Snowshoes just appeared a couple days ago in the local shops.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are some more photos I took last winter while snowshoeing. All good memories. The trails here in New England tend to be narrow and winding, with short hills up and down. Lots of rocks. And water crossing with bridges.
1635205063225.png
Below is a narrow passage between two high rocky areas. There were lots of fallen trees to get around. This trail was an adventure.
1635205193463.png
Every outing was different.
new snow.JPG
The photo below is actually the trail. It goes between these overhanging trees. I was breaking trail that day after an overnight storm. Winter wonderland! So much fun.
yes this is the trail untracked.JPG
Such beauty.
wide trail nicely covered.JPG
Yes, in New England there is sometimes (often) ice. Thus the need for all those claws on the bottom of the snowshoes. My Tubbs Flex RDG snowshoes went happily over the ice, no slipping at all. I was totally confident heading up the middle of this trail.
fire road.JPG

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a few more....
IMG_1082.jpeg4A1F1588-F989-4E0F-9EAA-0D83BBEE1281.jpeg
Below you can see the mountain bike tracks. Fat tires handle these obstacled-filled trails as well as good snowshoes do. Amazing.
1635205958042.png

IMG_1080.jpeg
The views alongside the trails are serene and lovely.
IMG_1088.jpeg

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Below you can see the mountain bike tracks. Fat tires handle these obstacled-filled trails as well as good snowshoes do. Amazing.
I've never fat-biked on trails but I hear that fat bikers love it when snowshoe-ers pack down the trails for them. That winter-trail symbiosis always makes me happy.
(When I first visited Vermont decades ago I had the temerity to snowshoe near a cross-country ski trail. The signage keeping snowshoes off the XC trails was so aggressive I feared I'd be deported back to New York, or taken to the Hague, for violating it!)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Our condo is adjacent to private timber land. The condo association has permission to use it. Sometimes a trail is set by other users, sometimes not. Best part is, it is NOT part of the system that state park users so no people.

Attachments

• snowshoe3.JPG
    snowshoe3.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 9
  • snowshoe2.JPG
    snowshoe2.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 9
  • snowshoe1.JPG
    snowshoe1.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 10

Jenny

Angel Diva
Our condo is adjacent to private timber land. The condo association has permission to use it. Sometimes a trail is set by other users, sometimes not. Best part is, it is NOT part of the system that state park users so no people.
Ooh, last picture reminds me - I need gaiters.

newboots

Angel Diva

Snowy trees in fog - stunning!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had a great time in Tahoe all week. But, with all the snow (7 ft) and road closures off and on, I snowshoed for the first time! I did a little research and ordered these today! Honestly, I live at the beach on the coast so will only use when in Tahoe and not skiing. Think will be perfect for me . I don't plan on hiking in the backcountry or anything like that!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I had a great time in Tahoe all week. But, with all the snow (7 ft) and road closures off and on, I snowshoed for the first time! I did a little research and ordered these today! Honestly, I live at the beach on the coast so will only use when in Tahoe and not skiing. Think will be perfect for me . I don't plan on hiking in the backcountry or anything like that!

Pretty! We haven’t had enough snow to try ours out yet.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
There are poles that have interchangeable baskets so they can be adapted for snowshoeing. So glad you had a good time!
Used old poles in the garage! My bamboo poles would have been better with huge baskets!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wow that's deep!

We've got adjustable hiking poles that we inherited from my dad, but I should look to see if they have baskets we could get for snowshoeing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Me too. I should look at mine as well (adjustable). I see no reason to get new ones. Yet. Plus the Northstar garage is full of poles!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna