• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowshoe advice

Snowsong

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would like to buy new snowshoes this season. I've been doing some research, but would welcome any input from Divas. I currently have Little Bear shoes, which were okay to start with and didn't cost a lot, but want to upgrade. The Little Bears are a plastic, all purpose shoe. I know I would like a serious hiking or a backcountry snowshoe. I don't have any favorite brands. I mostly do untracked trails in the woods, and hills are almost always involved. My Little Bears are wide, and that hasn't seemed to be a problem for me. I know the women's specific shoes are narrower, but I don't know if that really makes that much of a difference.

trouble

Certified Ski Diva
Hi snowsong,
I snowshoe recreationally and have Redfeather shoes with the V tail. They have a metal frame with neoprene support. I've broken trail a lot in them, broke trail on a 14er in them (ugh) and in these situations wished I'd had a more beefy shoe with more surface area and float. Kind of like skis, it was like skiing snowblades in powder when you really want a fat ski. However, you do burn lots of calories this way.
The nice thing about the lighter V-tails is I can use them on somewhat broken trails easily, and you can hike or run in them without kicking up too much snow onto yourself. So basically if I were you I'd try and determine the style you want first ('V' tail versus wide).

I looked for a well-constructed pivot point (where the foot hinges on the snowshoe), an easy in/out strap system (personal choice - make sure it's easy with gloves on if that's important) and a good claw. Personally, I don't like MSR's claw / crampon because they are parallel and don't grab on ice as well as the oblique claws, which stop you from sliding. Just another consideration.

As far as brands, Atlas and Tubbs seem are pretty standard for heavy duty work, they are pretty indestructable. Redfeather is well made too, and is a Colorado made brand so I went with those, plus they had a narrow stance women's model which is good for a klutz like me. If you have narrow hips I'd especially suggest a women's model. Look in your local shops, get up close and personal and inspect them to see the differences and pick the one that works for you! (Don't forget to compare prices online too, once you've chosen a brand and model)
That's my long-winded $0.02

Snowsong

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, Trouble, for your +.02 cents worth. I see what you mean about the MSR's. I had a chance to look at some snowshoes this past weekend after reading your advice. I've whittled the list down, but will do some online shopping to see if I can find better prices.

Molly

Certified Ski Diva
No offense to anybody; I'm all for anything that gets a Diva outdoors and panting in the winter months. But this thread reminds me...

I've got a friend — OK, that's kind of a loose usage, but let's leave it at that — a friend who recently gave up skiing (at which she was a total disaster) and took up snowshoeing instead.

Instead.

And get this: She told me when she quit that skiing was the only activity at which she was ever "both bored and terrified at the same time."

I suggested that on snowshoes, she could just be bored.

Happy Feet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A Better Snowshoe

This is a bit late, but 'shoes are on sale now. I had an awful pair that finally broke, and bought a mid-priced pair of Tubss Adventuire 21's. They are women specific, easy to get in and out of, and very light. A good web source is wwwe.sierratradingpost.com

I found that some binding systems wouldn't accomodate a larger boot, so I bought myself a new pair of snowshoes this year by Atlas that had an easy in and out, like a snowboard binding. I find them easy to use, though I haven't had much chance to use them 'cause I keep going skiing whenever it's snowy out!:D

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy Feet said:
This is a bit late, but 'shoes are on sale now. I had an awful pair that finally broke, and bought a mid-priced pair of Tubss Adventuire 21's. They are women specific, easy to get in and out of, and very light. A good web source is wwwe.sierratradingpost.com

These are on sale at steepandcheap RIGHT NOW for $96.50, both 21" and 25" sizes. Hurry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna