• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowing at my house!

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just took my dog for a walk in the SNOW! :D

I live in St. Albans, about 30 minutes north of Burlington, VT, and along Lake Champlain. The weather has been brutal today, raining hard, wind whipping and in the mid-40s. The forecast is calling for snow above 1,500 feet, and since Scott has his ski patrol refresher tomorrow at Jay, we figured it probably would snow at the mountain since it always does for refresher. However, we did NOT think it would snow here. It's not supposed to.

About an hour ago, my husband and I were in the kitchen making dinner. I looked out the window and said, "I think I see snowflakes in the rain." He didn't believe me, and came over beside me, peering HARD out the window. "You're RIGHT!" he announced. "I know." ;) (You all know I don't need my husband to acknowledge I'm right, but when he does, I don't let it go unnoticed!)

My dog Cleo is a German shepherd and she LOVES snow! How lucky is that? Actually, she is my Mom's dog, but since I've been self-employed for the past 10 years, Cleo stays with me during the day while Mom works, so she's my dog too. Now, she's living with us for a short time because Mom sold her house and is living at my brother's until she moves in to their new house (they sold their house and bought one with an in-law apt. for Mom). Anyway, we thought it would be stressful for Cleo and decided to wait till they moved into the permanent location before having her live down there.

But, I digress. What's really important is that Cleo is here for the first snow and we just went out and played! There is more than an inch of wet, gloppy autumn snow. The trees that still have leaves are laden down pretty heavily. If Cleo could have, she would have stayed out forever! We ran around, chasing snowflakes and snowballs and dragging snow-covered tree branches through the snow! :smile: After we came inside, the snowplow went by the house.

Winter is here, even if it's only for a day or two. Let's all hope the East gets a great snow year! :cool:

Thatsagirl

P.S. Our neighbor is not as excited as we all are! In fact, he thinks it's our fault! LOL

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not green with envy! Really I'm not
icon_sickie.gif

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're not missing much! It's not enough to ski on unless you're that guy skiing Stowe in the video SkiDiva posted the other day! :D

Honestly, it won't last long, but it's always a neat way to let us know winter is near...

Thatsagirl

Jilly

Staff member
We have satellite TV and get the Montreal stations. They were calling for snow in the townships and south. I have a great website that shows the radar and I was thinking of you when I checked the site. It looked like snow at Lake Champlain. Now if someone can tell me how to post that site I will. Its a great weather/radar site. Its only about 15 minutes behind time.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm WHITE with envy. Both for snow, and for a dog to share it with. My good buddy Brandon (doggie-dogg, white, long hair, loving, old, good snow lover) would have loved such a snow....

Last year we got a nice 10 inch snow at Halloween in NH, and then the real winter of disapointments arrived. Let's hope that it's a different story this winter in New England, and that early snows are followed by many more.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Much of the snow around my house has melted, but there are pockets of snow wherever the sun hasn't been strong enough to melt it. It didn't really start melting till today. Yesterday, they said it was going to hit 50 degrees, but it didn't get out of the high 30s. Today, it's warmer and the sun was out for awhile, so that took care of much of it.

Forecast is calling for rain later today, and it's already clouding up and looking like rain. Monday night, we're supposed to get a mix of rain and snow, also Tuesday.

Mostly, all this weather does is make for nasty driving. :eek: Takes down some trees too.

Scott said there were quite a few people hiking for turns at Jay yesterday (he was there for his patroller refresher, as mentioned in my first post). I guess there was anywhere from 8-12 inches at the mountain. I hear that Stowe was about the same. :D

I think we probably got about 3 inches total at our house. Our friend, who lives just over the hill from us, not even 5 miles away, got 9 inches at his house. :smile:

Thatsagirl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly